Xbox 360 Remote Problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jovian9, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I bought the universal remote for the Xbox 360:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360universalremote/default.htm

At first it worked fine. I even programmed it to control my TV (volume, channels, inputs, etc.). But last night the Xbox functions quit working. It will only work with my TV now. I can only turn on the Xbox and bring up the left menu to take me to the Xbox Menu. I cannot move to any pages or click on anything in the Xbox console menu. Is there something wrong with my remote or do I somehow need to reprogram it to work with my 360 again? I bought it used at EB Games so I do not have the manual (cost $20 instead of $30 buying it used). Thanks!

2. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

3. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I only have the regular MS remote, and I've found that I have to point it dead-on (perpendicular from the console) to get it to work. I sit to the side of where my 360 is though, so I've given up trying to use the remote and just use the wireless controller instead. The only thing I can think of in your instance, is do you have to press a button to switch between what system the remote is controlling? On my old TV, I had to push a button for DVD to control the DVD player, Cable to control the cable box, and TV to control the TV. Does the universal remote have that type of setup, or is it supposed to just control everything at the same time?

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Sorry, I only have the free remote that came with the Premium 360. :(

5. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

It doesn't seem to have a way to change between them. Even when I push the big "X" button (like the one in the middle of the controller) it still allows me to control the TV. I'm stumped. I'm going to try to find the manual online and see if I can figure it out that way. Thanks!

6. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Return it & buy the harmony remote. It's $129, but you can control the sun ;D

Buying damaged goods from EB games...tsk tsk!