[XBOX 360] Replacement Questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by crachoar, Apr 3, 2006.

1. crachoar macrumors 6502a

This goes out to those who have had to send your XBOX 360 unit in to Microsoft for replacement or repair. I don't care if you like the system, don't like it, etc. Just answer the question please...

The Question:

When you called Microsoft, what exactly did they say? How long did it take, overall, for a 'new' unit.

I've read that, in some cases, 'Premium' owners removed their HDD's before mailing the unit, and were given new 'Premium' 360's with a 'free' HDD. Does Microsoft ask you for your HDD, or do they tell you to remove it and keep it?

Did they offer to reimburse you for your 'Live' downtime? A free month or a few days at least?

Did they send you an empty box first, or do they actually send you a new console first? I'm assuming the empty box...

Who actually had a new (new in box) unit sent to them?

My Problem:

'GRAW' constantly freezes on me. Thirteen times so far. 'Fight Night' doesn't freeze at all for some reason...

The disc was brand new - no scratches or anything. The system is well-ventilated, etc. The tricky part of it is that, there are not 'error rings' on my power button. No flashing lights. Nothing.

The game simply locks the XBOX, and I have to hard reboot.

Also, the console is obnoxiously loud. It sounds like a Dual Processor G4 rendering a FCP document. I can't tell if it's the DVD-ROM or the HDD, but there is a hight-pitched, electronic 'wheeeeeeeeee' sound going on most of the time.

Basically, it doesn't sound healthy.

So, if you guys could answer those questions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

2. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

Sounds a lot like my problem. During a game (usually loading) the drive makes this high-pitched squeal, then clicks a bunch of time and spins down (the console is then frozen). I called and told them what was going on and they were a bit rude - I won't go into here, you can search my posts for a recap.

Anyway, she said 3 days to get the box (it was 6) and then she said it'd take 8-10 days to get it back once I shipped it (which sounds like the best case scenario).

As far as the HDD goes, some ppl accidently received a HDD on their consoles, very few ppl, in fact. She told me to only box the console, no accessories.

I ended up returning mine for exchange to Costco instead (just got the coffin, btw) - and called them to cancel the repair.

Chances are they'll send you a refurb, not a brand new system - they'll try to lie to you about it, but you can tell from what I've read from numerous accounts.

Good luck to you - hope everything goes smoothly.

3. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Hi, i actually had to call to have my xbox360 (the one with HDD btw) replace. I called Yesterday, and they told to NOT include anything cept the xbox in the return box, i'm still waiting for my return box but it should arrive soon.Ill tell you if i get a HD with the returned xbox.

I had the same kind of problem, my xbox kept freezing at random time, but after some day it started to have red light. So check it out, it could start anytimes. My personnal advice would be to call support on their 1-800 line.(do this if you have like half an hour to waste cause it's kind of long to get anwsered, for my part the tech was real nice)

Good Luck with your 360

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I have a launch day 360 and my machine has never frozen on me. I own/rent/played about every 360 game out there thus far.

I currently have GRAW from Gamefly. Can you tell me where it freezes on you and I'll try to replicate? You're the third person I've read who's had problems specifically in GRAW; I'm wondering if that's the problem.

5. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

my ghostRECON has frozen twice... i have not had a problem
    with call of duty 2, oblivion or any xbox live stuff... yet...

i think the problem might just be GRAW... i hope...

must remember to register xbox...:eek:

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I got two machines at launch. 1 failed within a fortnight. The other is still going strong with NO problems what so ever.

My experience with MS is good.

I rang and the next day UPS called out with the box/coffin. I put the xbox 360, power supply and HD into the box and sent it away.

There was a delay in receiving a brand new replacement, because it was over the christmas holidays. But it was 24th december they collected and 4th january I received. Longer than they said, but not too bad considering the holiday period.

When you speak to MS they will tell you what to send back. YES there are those that take off the HD and send it back, just so they can profiteer and sell the new HD when it returns. Personally I think that's a bit cheeky and did not do it and I wouldnt.

Slag microsoft all you like peeps but I thought there customer service was impeccable and I wasn't waiting ages on the phone either. :)

Anyone rang apple with a problem lately? 1/2 hour in a cue & 2 hours trying to explain a problem to a call center operative in India who only know three lines of english and 2 pieces of technical advice :rolleyes:

Fair Do's to the big M they sorted out my problems and havent had any since.

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I've had good luck with MS when calling about a problem with my Live account. It had to be escalated before it could be resolved -- it was a *very* unique problem that only affected a handful of users -- but the engineers figured it out in about a week and corrected the problem.

I also got 1600 Marketplace points for the trouble.

8. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

My friend was playing DOA4 on his and it crapped it self. Quadrants 1,3,and 4 were lit. called microsoft, said to ship the xbox in a box they send you, no hard drive. unless its the problem of course. i;d suggest trying it on some other brave souls xbox.

9. mkubal macrumors 6502a

MS support was pretty good when I called. Although I would suggest that if you get someone from India (once out of four calls for me) just hang up and call again. When you have to talk to people in India the phone line sounds terrible and they don't understand you very well. (Yes, I'm generalizing based on one phone call. That's my prerogative.)

Anyhow, they had me take off all the accessories and restart the machine. It worked for the few minutes I was on the phone with them, but then it started freezing again the next day. So I rang again and they sent a box. It took a few days to get the box and I got it back a week or so later.

I sent it without a HD and received it the same. It was a refurb, but it works so I can deal with it. I think Canadians get new 360s. Or that's what I understood from various 360 related message boards.

As for live, I don't have it so I'm not sure how they handle compensation for downtime. I would think you deserve some sort of compensation though.

10. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called today and explained that I only have the issue with 'GRAW' so far. The CSR appeared to be Canadian by accent. Thankfully, it wasn't an Indian.

Standard issue PC tech support. 'Unplug this. Okay. Does it work? Ok. Unplug that. Okay? Does it still work? Really? Ok, plug this back in...'

He asked me about ventilation, etc. I tried to explain that I'm not a tech-n00b.

'Yes, I have the system on a hard-wood table, along with the power supply. They are both lifted and open. The room temp. here is 60 degrees fahrenheit.'

'Wow. 60 degrees? That's the prob- oh...yeah...I guess that's...okay.'

We didn't resolve anything, and he seemed to kind of blow the problem off since I didn't have the red 'rings of light', and since I couldn't replicate it.

The CSR asked me to play through 'GRAW' (on the phone) until it froze. After a half hour, he laughed at me, as if I were kidding about the freezing.

'Haha. So, it's totally working then? Everything is solved?'

'Nothing is solved. I just told you, the freezing is completely random. It'll just happen unexpectedly. I doubt I can 'replicate' it.'

'Well, just play until it does then.'

*half an hour later*

'Still working?'

'Sadly.'

'Well, next time it locks up - try removing the HDD and playing through without it. If it locks up then, we'll send you the HDD replacement.'

'If it is the HDD, will you guys transfer my saved games onto the new unit before you send it out? How will that work?

'No. You'd need to go out and buy our memory card.'

'You're kidding right? There's no way you could at least do that for me?

'No. Sorry. Looks like you'd have to buy a memory card for that.'

'Because of a defective product, which in turn, will lose me a month of Live, I have to go out and buy another product?'

'Looks like.'

'Huh. How 'bout that.'

The CSR told me that he could send me the coffin, and I'd maybe get a refurb (he said it would 'most likely be a new unit' since they are so low on stock) within two to three weeks.

Interestingly enough, he said that if the HDD was causing the problem, he'd send me a new HDD first, and I could ship the 'broken' HDD in the box the new one comes in. However, no dice on doing that with the system (boo).

I asked him some more about returning the system, and trying to find out what they'd do to 'apologize' - as it were...

I complained and asked, 'But what about my Live account? Will I be reimbursed, since the system will be out of my hands for almost a month? Isn't there some sort of compensastion I could recieve, given that this is a brand new machine?'

The CSR told me that he'd never heard of anybody asking for that - and that they don't have the power to do that (bull). He told me that if he had the ability to add free days to my Live account, he would.

Sadly, I couldn't get the lock-up to 'replicate', considering it has happened at completely ass-random times. Half during multi, half during single campaign. It wasn't always an intense combat situation either. It froze during menus sometimes.

Overall, thirteen freezes in less than a week. So depressing.

What's odd is - no freezing in 'Fight Night' at all. I also played 'Halo: CE' for a good two hours (in 4:3, ugh) with no freezing.

It appears to be a 'GRAW' issue then. Not quite sure what to do about that...

Any news on that? I checked the 'GRAW' forums the other day, and nobody had mentioned this at all.

One More Important Question:

My DVD-ROM sounds terrible. It's very loud, to the point where it sounds bad. I'm not sure how else to describe it. When it accesses the disc, it sounds like an old HDD grinding away.

Is this common in most 360's, or should I start worrying about that, stat?

If any of you guys could post a clip of your 360 booting and loading a game so I could hear what other units sound like, that would be extremely helpful.

11. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

My 360 is loud, but not in a grinding bad way. There's something like 3 fans in the console and 2 in the power supply, which kick in when a games put in, in much the same way that the PowerMac G5 fans kick in when you ask it to do more than check for new mail. Infact, the 360 sounds a lot like a busy G5. Lots of wind like whooshing, no mechanical noises or grinding, and some hard disk "click-click-click" ing as it reads data. If yours does more than that then I'd hazard a guess something might be wrong. Then again, some fans just have squeaky bearings.

12. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, that just makes me worry more.

I'm at a crossroads now. Not quite sure what to do.

Again, if anybody can post clips (I'd prefer video with sound) of their 360's loading up a game (with the TV on mute obviously), that would really answer some questions for me.

I can't tell if it's just that the DVD-ROM spins the disc so quickly, or if the laser-head is simply accessing different parts of data at the same time...

It just sounds like a Hard Drive. It's odd.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Do you still have the GRAW reciept. I'd take it back and exchange it, tell them you were onto MS & Ubisoft and they think the disc is faulty.

If your new copy still crapping out, get back to MS and tell them you have tried a different new disc and still doing the same and demand a replacement.

14. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I exchanged the GRAW disc. There haven't been any lock-ups since, but truth be told, I've only played it for about three hours (broken-up) since then.

Today, it finally locked up during 'Fight Night'. I decided I've had enough of that, and I'll try my hand in 'sending it in' before I resort to the 'sell it on ebay' route.

My CSR today was a ghetto-fabulous man, who could hardly speak a word of english. I couldn't understand anything he mumbled. Being on hold for ten minutes straight was pretty sweet too.

They're sending the 360 coffin. I asked about 'apology merchandise', more or less. A free month of live, Marketplace points - anything. Something that shows me that Microsoft cares that I shelled out a ton of money for this system, and it ended up having all kinds of problems within the first week.

'Uh, yeah, um, I'm not too sure about that. I'd have to ask my supervisor. Maybe after we've gotten the console all fixed up, we could worry about that? I'll make a note that you asked, and when you call back after it's fixed, you can just give me the reference number again and I'll see. But, I'm gonna put you on hold for a second here, while I arrange for your empty box to be shipped, okay? I'll be back with a reference number, so have a pen and paper handy.'-CSR

'Yep.'

*8 Minutes Later*

Ok, I sent in the order for your repair. When you send it in, do not send any cables or the hard drive. Make sure your games are not in the drive, just send the system. Also, good news sir, I have that reference number I told you about, are you ready?'-CSR

'I'm ready.'

*CSR reads the number I just gave him when I called*

'So, um, the number is exactly the same as the reference number I gave you then? So really, it's not new at all, but rather, the number I gave you? Is that correct?'

'Oh. Oh yeah, I guess it is, huh?'-CSR

'Wow.'

'Is there anything else I can do for you today sir?'-CSR

'Yeah, actually. My controller, the one that came with the system, the left trigger makes this really disgusting 'rusty swingset' sound every time I pull on it. It's really irritating and loud. Can I get a replacement for that?'

'Huh. Um, does it like, does it work?'-CSR

'Well, yeah, it functions I suppose, but it certainly doesn't sound healthy. It makes a loud metallic sound when I squeeze it - I'd hardly call that normal. Not to mention it's just irritating.'

'Well, like I said, let's just deal with one issue at a time. How about after you get your console fixed, you call back about your live account, see if you can work that out. After that, you can call about your controller. Okay?'-CSR

'Then what did you mean by 'is there anything else I can help you with today', if you can't or won't?'

'Huh?'-CSR

'Nothing. Thanks for the coffin. Seeya later.'

Looks like I'm going to hold out on that 'Year of Live' until I get this thing back and play the hell out of it. If I have to deal with this again, I'm just going to sell the system, the controllers and the games and wait for another system. It's a shame, because I really enjoy the 360, minus the fact that it's still in Beta.

Has anyone else who has returned theirs for a 'repair' been given anything from Microsoft? Something that says, 'Thanks for shelling out all that money for our Beta kit, we appreciate the fact that you aren't waiting for the PS3'?

15. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I called in about a repair today after I kept getting "disc dirty" errors while playing Farcry. The disc is brand new (albeit from Gamefly) and somehow it manages to just eat it at random points during the game. This happened to me with NBA2k6 and Kameo as well...both brand new. My machine has also just flat-out frozen on dozens of other occasions, I guess today I just got fed up and suffered through 20 minutes of hold time to deal with MS service.

In hindsight, I should have just waited a month or two to buy the thing and get it from Costco so their returns people could deal with it with MS and switch me out with a new one the same day. Damn me and my early adopting ways...

I'll post here when I get everything fair and square, but I'm not expecting any bumps in this process (knock on wood).

16. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, the box they send to put the 360 in is, hilarious, to say the least.

It's literally, a 'box'. No packing material, no cushion what-so-ever.

Just, a box. With a plastic bag to wrap the XBOX in.

To be fair, there's a cardboard 'girdle' of sorts. A thin, cardboard sarcophagus. All in all, the protection supplied by this 'jacket' and the box totals to about 3mm of recycled paper armor.

If they were to send me this XBOX back, I would probably laugh a whole bunch. If I were to be given a referb, I would also laugh a hefty amount.

This kind of shipping is suitable for maybe a pair of jeans, or some stationary.

Surely, this has to be some kind of 'humor-joke' on their part. A $420 console, protected by thin layers of cardboard...

I imagine, upon receiving these systems, they promptly throw them into a landfill. There's no way in hell these things still work once they arrive at their 'repair' center. If UPS can break an insured and properly wrapped $900 synthesizer, surely, this poor XBOX is doomed.

In all honestly, I think I'd prefer for the package to be lost or completely smashed so that Microsoft just mails me a 'new-in-box' unit. Maybe I should write 'fragile' on the box...

17. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, I got my second XBOX 360. It froze while trying to connect to live, within the first thirty seconds of turning on the console.

The refurb was manufactured last year (launch).

Anyway, I thought it was neat that they shipped it in a pathetic cardboard box (UPS), and it was also very nice of them to ship me back a unit that freezes more than my previous console (I'm also using the Intercooler, and my apartment is sixty degrees fahrenheit).

For those of you that had to exchange their exchange (i.e. 'refurb') - how mean were you to the CSR when you called for a second replacement? Did you insist that they use first class overnight, insist on a new console, etc.? Has anybody had to replace more than two 360's? If so, did they thank you for your patience with Live points or free months of Live? Anything?

What are the magic words that make a CSR say 'awww nuts' and just cave?

So, for another few weeks, I'm without my 360.

'Next Generation' indeed.

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

It took them two months to send you a refurb? Man, I'd be bent in a serious way.

Heck, for screwing up my Live account I got 1600 Marketplace points...you ought to get a year of Live or something at the very least.

19. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you say anything to them to get those points?

I want points...

And no, it only took them two weeks. I didn't send it until May. I was busy graduating and whatnot.

However, that doesn't change the fact that they sent me a console with more problems than the one I sent in.

I called the CSR and did his troubleshooting nonsense. I told him the UPS packaging is a bit disconcerting, and that I'd like a different courier and overnight. He told me that's not possible, but that he mentioned the packaging in his report and 'assured' me it would be 'taken care of'.

More than likely, that means he'll do nothing and I can look forward to another broken 360.

I've had this one for what? Forty minutes? It's frozen six times. I can't even boot into a game.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Hmm, is there a specific reason why you didn't exchange the system at the retailer where you purchased it?

Still though, that sucks... glad I've never had problems with mine, I hate the mail game.

21. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Oddly enough, my 360 worked flawlessly for 6 months. Then one of my buddy's got one and he was telling me that his had problems from the start. One night I try to send him a private chat invite and his box freezes, which causes mine to freeze.

After that mine locked up about every 3 minutes, eventually giving me the "red ring of death".

I called MS and was shocked to hear an American on the phone after holding for about 30 seconds. The guy explained what to do, sent me a box in 3 days as promised, and now it's in Texas getting the full treatment.

Anyway, he basically told me that the failures are two fold. Either the drive eats it or some component on the MB. Or both. Basically MS sourced the parts from multiple companies, so some people got the crap MB and the crap drive. Others got a flawless system. With that many parts, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that only 1 in 100 360's are identical inside (if you checked vendors).

In any case the "issues" have been sorted out, so all the 360's made after now should be fine. I'll post again when I get it back.

22. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I couldn't exchange the system where I bought it because 'Game Crazy' is the worst retail outlet ever.

Seven day return policy? Eat me.

It was the only place in the entire central / southern portion of my state to have one in stock at the time. Sadly. Otherwise, I would've gotten it at Circuit City.

So now, I pay for my (somewhat) early adopting ways. Hooray!

23. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

My Xbox 360 started freezing up after about two weeks of having it, then red ring of death...called them up and got a coffin sent out. Had to send back my hard drive as they thought that could be part of the problem.

Then about a week later they replace my shiny new one, with a launch version refurb.

This new one makes less noise than the old one, and the grinding disc drive was a problem for me too. They seem to think it's perfectly fine to send out refurbs to replace new units and the only thing they recommended when I complained was to write a letter of complaint to their head office.

I'm sure technology companies are all rubbish. Microsoft and Apple have messed me about recently with the defective Xbox 360 and MacBook Pro.

Finally getting a replacement MacBook Pro after 2 repairs and a replacement logic board, hard drive, fans, keyboard and upper casing...and then they had the cheek to say I was "lucky" to be receiving a replacement.

Ah..it's nice to vent..damn MS and Apple.

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Considering how new all the 360 systems are (what, 6-9mo?) I don't personally have any issues with refurbs so long as it works and it's not mangled with scratches, etc. People are obviously buying "new" systems and having them break, why complain about a refurb when getting sent a new system could have the same problems?

25. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dammit, dammit, dammit!

It never ends.

I'm on my third 360 now.

This one locked up during 'GRAW' (I payed for and downloaded the new 'Chapter 2' add-on, now I can't play it) and during a round of 'Fight Night'.

Customer service guy is treating my like ass at this point. I mentioned this is my third repair, and he seems to think that I'm making these problems up apparently.

The CSR said that I should plug the console in directly to the wall, rather than my $200 surge protector, because (somehow) that could be the problem.

So I did, still froze (wow, who knew!?).

I called back with my ref ID, another CSR takes my call. I explained that the problem still plagues my life, so she decided to transfer me to her super.

After about ten minutes, I'm on the line with her super. He's a pretty happy black gentleman - a fellow gamer. He makes a few delightful jokes about Microsoft with me and overall, he's much nicer than the CSRs.

He decides to ship me a new Power Supply, to see if that fixes anything. But he's also shipping a repair box, just in-case. After he gives me the ref. number, we have a little convo:

'Is there anything else you'd like me to file for you? Any complaints that I should send up the chain?'-CSR

'Yeah man, about the box they ship it back in?'

'What? It's a box inside of a box?'
    -CSR

'Yeah, Jesus. Who's idea was that? That's so stupid. I'm having my $400 video game console mailed to me without any padding.'

'Yeah man, I know. You'd think, a billion-dollar corporation would have a better way of dealing with it, you know? But, I'm just a low-profile manager here man. If you want things to change, you know, you gotta talk to J Allard or Peter Moore. I know what you mean though, and I'll definitely file the complaint for you man. You know, it's just that, Microsoft is a Giant, right? And I'm a about the size of a tree, ok? You? You're just a person. So the person can complain to the tree, and the tree can complain to the giant - but it takes a whole forrest of trees for the giant to listen. You get what I'm saying?'
    -CSR

'Yeah man, I understand. It's not your fault, don't worry about it.'

'We've been getting a lot of complaints about that packaging, and you know, I don't see why they ship it like that. Maybe that's why they're all breaking?'
    -CSR

'You know man, I have a theory. There's this department there that 'refurbs' the 360's, right? And they get two packages from two different customers with two broken XBOXs. So the guy on the conveyor belt line opens up both boxes, switches the 360's, slaps new stickers on them and sends them to the opposite person.'

'HAHAHAHA! Oh man, that's funny as hell. That's probably how they do it too, haha! I honestly wouldn't be surprised either. That's a great theory man. You know, I bet they do that for every company too? My Playstation man, when that first came out? I swear, they just kept sending me the same broken one, over and over. So I totally know how you feel man, I understand.

Oh man, that was funny. Haha.

So, is there anything else I can do for you?'
    -CSR

'Yeah, I mean, if you don't mind filling out more complaints.'

'Hey man, the more you guys file things through me, the more likely they are to change.'
    -CSR

'Well, the shipping time? It takes forever to get my system back. I haven't been able to play for over a month and a half. I mean, couldn't I get some free marketplace points, or like a month of free live? Anything? It's just annoying that I paid all of this money, and I've only been able to play it for a few weeks, even though I bought it in March.'

'Yeah man, I feel you. And you know, as of 03/24/06 - Jay and Peter decided to change the shipping from Overnight to 3-Day. Pretty cool, huh?

And I'm sorry, I can't refund your live service, I'm sorry about that. But I mean, I can give you a free first-party game if you want. Of course, they have to be Microsoft games, we don't have third-party titles, but I mean, if you want a free game, I could send you one.'
    -CSR

'Eh. What is there?'

'Project Gotham 3, Perfect Dark and Kameo. And you say you already have GRAW, so I'm guessing you're the type of dude that likes to shoot things.'
    -CSR

'Yeah, I suppose I'll take a free game, why not?'

'Yeah, no problem man. Just let me get this setup for you.'
    -CSR

*five minutes later*

'Ok, this should all be arriving at the same time. So, you'll be getting Perfect Dark Zero for, uh, customer satisfaction.'-CSR

'Haha. Excellent.'

'Is there anything else, after all of that, that I could do for you?'
    -CSR

'Yeah, actually. I called a long time ago about the controller that shipped with my console. One of the triggers makes this metallic scraping noise that just doesn't sound normal, and I'd just like to trade it for a new one.'

'So you want a controller too?'
    -CSR

'Yeah.'

'You have the wireless one?'
    -CSR

'Yep.'

'Ok, you're all set man. I hope everything works out for you. Have a good evening.'
    -CSR

'You too.'

And thus concludes my third 360 replacement fiasco. Let's see how the power supply / 4th 360 replacement pans out.

If I'm slammed with another broken 360, it's time to start a blog and write to J Allard and Peter Moore.

I'll have to start taking more photos and making more videos of these things. I do, however, still have the serials of each unit.

I'll be sure to film the thermostat reading for the room, so they can see that it's 65 degrees in here, with fans blowing and an intercooler to boot.

On a side note, do you think I could get some money for an unopened copy of PDZ? That game eats goats, heh.