Xbox 360 Review

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bubbasteve, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I just wanted to know from the owners of an Xbox 360 what your take on it is so far. Is it worth the money? Is it as noisy as people are claiming? Is it as noisy as the Dreamcast? How many times has it crashed on you?

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not a 360 owner, but I wanted to make a point about the crashing thing. AS I UNDERSTAND IT (and I may be wrong), the crashing is in defective overheating units. Either your system will crash all the time (unless you take extra steps to keep it cool, like suspending the power supply in the air), or it won't crash at all (or hardly).

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

4. getbigg21 Guest

i have had my xbox 360 since launch day and i love it. i have been playing it over and over. i haven't had any problems with it. it is definately worth the money.

5. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Totally worth the money if you have an HDTV set.

still pretty cool even if you dont but the graphics wont look nearly as good and might even disappoint.

it is kinda noisy and does get pretty warm in the back.

but i have played it for about 6 hours straight once and it hasn't crashed some im sure its ok.

6. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    friend of mine just got one, and i am quite amazed actually. i never bothered buying a ps2 as i had a dreamcast, that was as good as, if not better than the ps2 in my opinion, until fairly recently that is.

having seen the xbox 360, i have to admit, i would love to own one, and i don't play consoles often, like, a couple times a year maybe.

it's actually very slick, the user interface etc, m$ gamers developers section is obviously not too tied to the main company. if longhorn was as smooth, easy to use, and graphically pleasing as the xbox, os x would be under some competition...

7. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

did I just hear a Dreamcast diss? you leave my baby alone ya hear! ;)

seriously though, my Dreamcast was less noisy than my xbox

8. TheGimp macrumors 6502

totally worth the money. this coming from a cynic who cancelled his preorder months before after seeing several trailers and gameplay footage videos.

don't deprive yourself of fun if you're the type to get excited over fun games with lots more detail and even more features and control buttons.

games owned:
    PGR3
    PDZ
    kameo demo

owned but unopened:
    condemned

plan to buy:
    call of duty 2
    Need for Speed or Ridge Racer

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hey, I <3<3<3 my Dreamcast. Panzer Dragoon Saga was teh r0XX3rz and NiGHTS k1ck3d. :)

10. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

The console is quite noisy. I visited a friend a couple nights ago who was playing Perfect Dark. It was not until he powered down the XBox that I noticed all the noise in the room was from it alone. I was completely shocked since it's regular sound levels were higher than my G5 PM (which, sits near my desk at ear level).

Comments about having an HD television are dead on. The graphics are disappointing on a regular SD set. Things look stretched, text looks awful, border/edges are cropped out. Just, bleh.

Although the added resolution of the HD screen helped to improve image quality, it was still lackluster overall. Further, at 720p there was noticeable staggering during game-play and streaks appeared during any horizontal movements (looking back and forth readily shows this). 1080i eliminated the streaking for the most part, but had the added problem of cropping out part of the viewing area (where the character vitals and ammo count was displayed). Definitely, not good.

Load times were annoying.... but they were nothing compared to the Save times. Unacceptable. Unfortunately the only game I was able to play was Perfect dark and it may not reflect average gameplay on the 360.

Most of the things I did enjoy in the game were the nice touches like soft shadows, subtle lighting, particles and "dust" like things which I suppose add to the environment's ambience. I'm sure this is where the extra processing power is going. There is a nice blur effect when looking around with your character. I found it to be neat.

As much time as I'm sure they spent on these nice touches, I wish the game developer would have been a bit more careful over other aspects of the game. For example, there are times when the character will pass through solid objects when taking cover. It was distracting and looked bad. Since "taking cover" is a distinct (and presumably important) part of the game, which are all individually animated and coded for, there is no excuse for sloppy work during these moments. Especially since moving into and out of cover is out of the players control. Since the movement is out of my control, I am forced to instead watch and wait until I regain control. I'm totally focused on the visuals now (awaiting my cue to continue), and any visual anomaly (like a character's back or head clipping-through a wall/crate) will stick out like Osama in the middle of a children's' play.

Anywho, Im interested in seeing what other experiences are before deciding which console to purchase. I for one will most likely wait until they all come out before choosing. The Xbox360 is sorely disappointing and "next-gen" it definitely is NOT.

11. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

12. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I don't own one but I've played one at my friends. After playing some mad CoD I have to say I'm impressed. I thought the graphics were great and I didn't really notice any noise from the 360. However that could have been because I had the surround sound on full blast and was fully immersed in the game.

13. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

How do the games look without a HDTV? I have a HDTV at home but at college I have a normal television.

14. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

I love my 360. I haven't had any issues with the system and it looks great on my HDTV. Of course, it IS loud as hell, but the surround sound does a great job of overpowering the noise.

15. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Do you live in a sound proof room?

I've got it on top of my high def tv and I cant hear the fans on the 360. Maybe it doesnt help having my mac on, the rackmounts behind me on while I listen for the fans on the 360.

16. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

wow. you definitely dont know what you are talking about. you played ONE game and you dont even own the console. other developers make DIFFERENT games, which are better than PDZ. give it a chance before you hate. :mad:

17. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I'll be waiting for the Revolution, then will choose between Ps3 and 360.

18. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

haha. and the zealot 360 fan comes out of the woodwork. I can assure you that I DO know what I was talking about because it comes directly from my experience. I also admitted it was based off of my limited time with ONE game, and further stated that it [probably] does NOT reflect average gameplay. My friend did demo other games, but I was not impressed with those either. I chose not to mention them in my post since I did not physically play them myself. Aside that, I was just reporting what I observed.

I was planning on purchasing a console of my own, but am now wary about making a haste decision based off of this experience. Any negative tone is most likely due to my disappointment with the console so far. The current offerings lack polish and were probably rushed to make a Holiday appearance.

19. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

i think its way overated, and I find the controller to be complicated and limiting.

Most of the launch titles are bad...with a few exceptions.

Fortunatly, I intend on selling it 2 weeks before xmas on ebay.

I'd wait...just wait until all three consoles to be released and pick the best.

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm a bit worried myself about the "No HD-DVD drive" thing... sounds like Microsoft will screw over a bunch of people when the "HD-DVD equipped" ones emerge.

22. p0intblank macrumors 68030

That's the thing, though. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are still a ways off from becoming the standard like DVD finally is. We don't even know which one WILL be the standard, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I think using DVDs right now is just fine; no big deal.

As for the 360, yes I think it is worth the money. I don't own one myself, but a friend brough over his Thanksgiving night. We played Quake 4, NfS: Most Wanted and Call of Duty 2. Q4 and NfS didn't really impress me all that much, but CoD2 did. It wasn't amaing, but it's nice to finally have PC graphics on a console, AA and all. And plus I own a 30" HDTV, so it looked wonderful. I am getting a 360 soon, I just don't know when. When I do get one, I'll definitely be getting PGR3. Now THAT should impress me. :D

23. bigdz68 macrumors member

Hi,

Currently I have played about halfway thru Call of Duty 2 on a 36" Sony Digital (not HD) and find the system to be awesome. The fans are kind of loud...actually the loudest thing in the room, but when you have it hooked up to surround sound system, you really dont hear it at all.

No crashes (yet...fingers crossed) and I really actually like the controls and the added extra buttons above the triggers. Although I do tend to fat finger them every so often and toss a grenade at the wrong time.

I got mine on pre-order that Best Buy happened to run with a package. I had to buy a bunch of extra stuff (most of which I returned) but I didnt have to wait in line like many did. Just went right on Tuesday afternoon and it was waiting behind the counter.

I also bought Quake 4 but have not played it yet. I am extremely happy with this system but Im sure I will be even happier when I do get it hooked up to a High Definition system. I like the user interface and the menus the system has set up. Very easy to work with. I have not jumped on XBOX Live yet, but plan to do so in the future.

I will also probably pick up the PS3 down the road to play with that also as Im a big console fan, but this fills the void when Im not playing World of Warcraft on my G5!

I was kind of upset about the backwards compatibility issues though. The release night I finally had time to play Battlefront II with a friend and we played it on my Halo edition XBOX since it would not run on the 360. The screen said the game couldn't run at this time but updates may be available in the future. Who knows if that is true, but that was kind of a dissapointment. Oh and by the way, Battlefront II is damn fun! We spent the whole night going thru that game and had some good times!

OK end of my review...sorry for the diarrhea of the keyboard! :D
    Peace
    Dave

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

From looking at the surpising amount of posters reacting negativly to owner and potential owner of the 360 since the topics started on the forums :-

What I really don't understand is this brand loyalty to Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo. All the systems currently available have some excellent games and by adopting this pointless 'fan boy' attitude and dissing anybody with other hardware is entirely banal and fruitless.

I have been playing video games since the Atari 2600 and have had pretty much every format going since, currently i own a panasonic Q (fancy GC), PS2 (both fat and slim), Xbox, PSP, DS, GBA, and hopefully soon a 360.

Alongside my Powermac, Powerbook and Dell PC.

I don't subscribe to brand loyalty as Sony or Apple are not suddenly going to turn up on my door and award me a 42" Plasma or a quad powermac simply because I refuse to buy anyone elses products and devout my life to ripping the ***** out of anyone who does so. Seriously what does any company give you to make you do that?

I realise a lot of people can only afford one system, but you don't need to legitimise and reassure yourself that you purchased the right one by posting crap after crap about the competition.

Best games I have in my collection include Zelda WindWaker & Minish Cup, Ico, Rez, Halo 2, Beyond Good N Evil, Mario Kart DS, Shadow of the Collosus, Lumines & Mercury.. along side many more and the point being they are on different formats and by restricting yourself to brand loyalty you miss out on those fantastic games.

I will be getting a 360, PS3 & Revolution.

25. Vster macrumors 6502

I love my 360! I love that it finally utilizes the capabilities of my HDTV. Unfortunately I only have 1 game right now (Ridge Racer) due to my wife's "kung fu grip" on the credit card, but I'm still having fun.

Luckily mine hasn't crashed at all and doesn't seem to get to hot. And when a game disc spins up it get a little loud, but no where near as loud as when my precious dreamcast does.

All in all I think its a great system and I can't wait to get back to playing it!:D