Xbox 360 site WORST EVER

Discussion in 'Games' started by James Philp, May 13, 2005.

1. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

The obduracy of Microsoft!
    Check this website out. It's the Xbox 360 one. You can take the hardware for a "spin" but it is done SO badly.
    This kind of thing is calling out for QT like on the apple site, but Microsoft so obviously hate themselves that what we (the punter) get is sub-standard!
    Dragging things sideways? What's that about!
    It's also about the slowest thing ever!

I had really high hopes for the Xbox 2, but after visiting this site and watching the "event" earlier I am beginning to have real doubts!

Poor Poor Poor.

2. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Its not so bad... Its kind of cool. But QuickTime would be better.

Now, to get OS X on this...

4. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

C'mon! it's about as seamless as a patchwork quilt!

5. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

LOL, I wouldn't jump all over the 360 site just yet...
    I mean, it's release has been "officially" announced for what...one day yet? I'm sure it's just some sort of placeholder for the time being...

I mean, you can still go to the old xbox site, and that's where you'll find all the info...which is where it should be
    XBOX

6. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

im sure the xbox 360's design has been finalized for at least a few months now... ample time for them to create a somewhat more intuitive launch website...

7. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Guys, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Xbox, but what with recent event, I'm very dismayed! (All that talk of skins and the Xbox 360 being the center of my digital media and stuff, - probably in WM format, grrrrr)
    What can't it just be a damn good games machine!

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

LOL nice Quicktime VR imitation!

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Perhaps Mac-on-Linux will work. Or maybe a special edition that tricks OS X into seeing different hardware.

10. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

For any other product i wouldn't mind so much, but this is the BIGGEST computer-based company ON EARTH! - you think they could do better for their bid for the 6bn market that is the games machine market!
    Considering they are supposed to be at the forefront of technology this is SUCH A POOR effort!

11. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I agree that site needs quicktime very very very badly! lol :rolleyes:

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually its a great move on their part. Think about it. You got an XBox. Want to use all the features? You need a Windows PC running Media Center Edition. You can't buy that off the shelves so you need a new PC with it. MS makes a ton of money of MCE. Everyone with an XBox will want a MCE PC.

It's to push Windows and the XBox together.

Guess what MS? I don't want to use Windows.

The XBox was never about gaming for Microsoft- it was about getting developers to use DirectX and make games hard to port, making more Windows-only games, and getting people to upgrade to Windows XP MCE.

I'm not saying the first XBox was bad; the games that came out for it by third parties were great. But MS's goal was never to take over the market with the greatest game machine ever, it was to dump (not like trash, I mean like dumping ) the XBox to gain a big market share and use that to tie people to their OS.

--THIS IS NOT AN ANTI-XBOX OR ANTI-MICROSOFT RANT--

I'm merely pointing out what MS's priorities are.

Honestly, if I could stream video from my Mac, and my standard Windows PC (not Media Center), I might consider buying the XBox as a holdover for the Revolution and using it for multimedia.

13. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

It's a good point, even though the xbox uses PPC architecture.
    I really hope I will be able to use the Xbox 360 as a pure gaming machine.

PS - this is a bit off topic, i was talking about the poor quality of the site, not about the xbox itself. - You can't deny that the implementation of the hardware preview is terrible!

EDIT, in fact, GFLPraxis your post is completely off topic, and not anything to do with what i was saying about the website! How does having a bad website for a product lead to all the things you said in your post?

14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

It's not ALL that bad... EXCEPT for the wallpaper. I'd fire the guy that approved that abomination.

15. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Oh come on!? Dragging the picture in the window simply drags the picture! - Terrible stuff, but i guess what we come to expect from MS!

Compare to this, or even this!
    I don't remember these products having special "Parties" in LA with loads of bands playing etc etc! Yet still they are given the treatment they deserve!

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Weird. I don't really know...
    We started talking about the XBox itself instead of the site, you complained that it wasn't a gaming machine, I went on to talking about how MS wants it to be multimedia...

I do have to agree that the XBox looks rather slick. Though they should have gone with a Quicktime VR... :D

17. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Plus, being called the "360" if would be nice to actually have a 360 view!

18. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

sorry if i led you up the garden path, bygones :)

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

LOL! Good point!

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that's exactly it - and I don't think they'd want to do a qtvr of the thing - even though that's the way to do it. But even using flash, it doesn't take much to make enough frames to get a decent 360 view of any object - especially with the resources MS has....

Bleh - lets hope the console out performs the website.

D

21. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Don't you guys like the single wallpaper. There are monster playing with corded controllers. Wow, I assume this picture is suppose to tie into 360 how?

22. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

eh I've seen worse. For a product that doesn't have an official release date or price confirmed yet I think that's about all the website needs to be at this point.

23. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

but for a product that has had a high visibility multi-national party? And when they made a massive thing over how it looks? and after what it's called?

24. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I dunno. I guess I just don't see that website as being THAT bad. I mean it's got pictures and an attempt at a VR type off thing. Maby I'm just used to seeing even worse websites done by the company I used to work for. Yes I did this site and no I'm not proud of it. But sometimes their are other factor$ at work :rolleyes: