Xbox 360 speculations...

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Apr 28, 2005.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004

is a link with the numbers on the system. 3ghz of power seems to be awesome! I dont know what the PS3 has in mind or if that info has been revealed yet, but i like the xbox 360 on paper i just hope the real thing is as good as it sounds. :)

If any one has PS3 specs let me know...
  2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Read the specs carefully, people. This is MS's ingenius hyping scheme. Mac users of ALL people should know what the MHz myth is!

First thing to remember:
    These are not G5's. They're customized processors with the PowerPC architecture.

Second thing. Two instructions per clock cycle. It says it RIGHT THERE in the specs.

It does 2 instructions per Hz...

How much do other processors do? Well, the Pentium 4 does 6. That's right, 6. And the G5 does more than that, though I don't remember the number.

There hasn't been a 2 IPC (Instructions per clock) processor since the original Pentium!

So each of those 3 GHz processors are VASTLY slower than a 3 GHz G5.

Now put together, all 3 of those make it about equivilant to a 2.5 GHz G5 I would guess. Though if it doesn't have AltiVec it could be even less.

Now, I'm not trying to bash it. Just pointing out that the processor isn't that powerful at all.

The graphics card on the other hand is much more impressive. It's one of the next-generation R500 cards. You know the Radeon X800? Thats an R400 card. You know the difference between this generation and the last, right? A $150 card of this generation (Radeon X600) can outperform a $500 card of last generation (Radeon 9800 XT).

Assuming a similar jump, that should mean that the low end next gen card in the XBox 360 should be about equivilant to or slightly better than the best cards of the CURRENT generation. Like the X800 XT.
    Further, Microsoft and ATi have filed patents relating to a specialized graphics card architecture which can do AA 4x and HD resolution with minimal affect to performance.

So while the processor is (relatively) sucky, the graphics card is going to be mind-numbingly powerful.

I can't even imagine what the other two consoles (Revolution and PS3) that are coming out later will have.
  3. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    So for gaming on a console which would be more important graphhics card or processor(s)?

I am a big fan if nintendo but i just an xbox for some of its star wars games and i can see a big (HUGE) difference in graphics between my gamecube and my xbox. i dont want to go get the xbox 360 and a year later have it turn out to be a flop...

Anyways back to my main question, which is it for console gaming processor or graphics card? :confused:
  4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    I don't know much but my guess is they both play a pretty big part in the quality of gaming. However I would guess that an outstanding video matched with a average processor is better than an outstanding processor and an average video card. Now it all depends on what is considered outstanding and what is considered average. In the current XBOX there is a 733 Mhz Pentium II or III processor but I'm not sure about the graphics card. Now I consider the XBOX to be a pretty good gaming machine and it obviously doesn't have a mind blowing processor in it, although it is a few years old. That's just my guess, you should probably listen to someone that knows more than I do.
  5. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    no way in hell an x600 outperforms a 9800XT the 9800xt is about twice as fast, the x600 is just a slightly higher pci express 9600, 4 pipe card aka slow as ****.
  6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

I remember that the Geforce 6600GT ($200) outperforms the 9800 Pro, and I thought the X600 XT was equivilant to the 6600GT.

Or am I thinking of the X700 XT?

Which one is $200?

Either way, the Geforce 6600GT is $200 and outperforms the Radeon 9800 Pro.
  7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Graphics cards by far.

There isn't that huge a difference between the GameCube and XBox though.
    The GameCube outperforms the PS2 by so much its not even funny, and the XBox *barely* outperforms the GameCube. It's just what developers shoot for.

Take a look at RE4 sometime, and the new Zelda game, GameCube is barely behind XBox.

Thing is, the XBox 360 is coming out early enough that it should be the PS2 of the next gen in terms of power.
  8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    These specs are the final specs. They have been confirmed, as MS reps are putting them in the Xbox manuals that the retailers have. My friend who works at the EB showed it to me, when I asked of its origin, he said that the Microsoft reps for the store came to there, opened the binder, and clipped that in. So, now who wants to hack it and make it into a 300 dollar Triple G5? XD
  9. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    As has been said earlier in this thread, they are not G5's. They are just powerPC processors.
  10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Like I said, they're not G5's and are far slower than G5's, though having 3 makes up for the individual slowness.

EDIT: LOL, posted at the same time, Poff!
  11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Heh, I got the XBox just for the Star Wars games as well. Us and Hector are Star wars geeks.