Xbox 360 UI video shows iPod integration!

Discussion in 'Games' started by jared_kipe, Aug 24, 2005.

1. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Check this video out, we all thought that hooking your ipod up to the new xbox would be a line in. Oh how wrong were we.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/articles/644/644608/vids_1.html

Now, if they can do that, and sync with windows media center like that. Just MAYBE they can stream music from itunes. That would be more useful then hooking up my ipod, wirelessly streaming music from my G5. How sweet that would be.

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I doubt that Apple would have licensed FairPlay to MS, so even if the Xbox can mount an iPod (and why not, it's just a USB mass storage device) I don't think you will be able to play any of your iTunes purchased music or use the iTMS. Also, the XBox360 doesn't have a wireless connection does it? At least it doesn't come with one... are they going to sell one as an add-on up front?

3. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Yes the xbox 360 has a wireless addon.. but its $99 bucks

4. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Well that depends, it may be able to just control the ipod, and the sound comes through like an aux in. Or maybe they have a way of getting the decoding file from the ipod just like how hymn used to work. Meaning if a file is playable on the ipod, it will play on the xbox 360.

Apple should make itunes software for the xbox 360.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So the XBox360 supports iPod yet Media Player doesn't? strange.

6. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

Im betting right now it won't work with my non windows formatted iPod...

7. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Thats a good point, either it mounts the disk, or it simply controls the ipod and allows it to play audio. Like... Say ipod in your BMW. The BMW doesn't acutally play the mp3s and aacs, it just controls the ipod. I imagine they worked out a similar thing.

8. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

ummm.... NO. This is a microsoft product we're talking about here? Why is there any discussion about it. It will suck...no one will buy it...move along.

I'm looking forward to PS3. And I could really care less about iPod integration with any console.... What is the use of playing ur iPod through ur console system. Please tell me how this could be benefitial......

9. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

You could listen to your 10,000 song library without having to rip all 150 cds (exaggeration i have no idea how many discs 10,000 songs would take) on to your xbox, but instead plug one cord in an listen away while racing on PGR :cool:

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The whole ripping CD's thing was a pain. and naming them... total nightmare. iPod integration is a good thing.

what a mess the whole Xbox thing is. why couldn't it just come with a cheap 10Gb HDD... but thats for another day.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Anyone notice the Aqua button on the bottom when he first goes to the homepage? It's EXACTLY like the one in OS X. I mean EXACTLY.

EDIT: (Still watching video)
    I've gotta admit that visualizer rocks.

12. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

This is pretty amazing from the company that plans to kill the iPod. I wouldn't have thought that it would be able to play the music. If anything it just shows off apples market share.

13. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Well, considering the music files are merely hidden files on the iPod's mounted disk, I don't see why a system couldn't search them out and still use the naming tags.

I'd watch the video but my school network is being teh suxxors at the moment... is this the visualizer they're showing? http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/neon.php

14. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I think so.... but i'm not 100% sure

15. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They're gimmicks. I mean, it's better than having a dull "Track currently playing:" text being the only thing on the screen. But they're cool gimmicks.

17. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Okay is it just me... or it is even more ironic that right after they unplug the iPod, they plug in a PSP.

Also, who likes listening to music on their TV anyways?

18. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Yes, that's it.

The Xbox 360 will stream music from an ipod. It will also stream music from a PC across a LAN. So, I'd imagine they'll code something to make it work with a mac too (or a mac developer will).

Also while playing a game one person can select a playlist on their computer/ipod, and it streams the music via Live to everyone playing in that instance. So if you and 7 friends are battling in Perfect Dark Zero, one of you could select a playlist for everyone to listen to. Cool use of tech IMO.

Of course this is an option, so you don't have to listen to whats being broadcast. It effectively turns every xbox360 into an internet radio station.

19. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Its a stupid idea. Thats what stereo's are for. If I want music I push play, I don't turn on my Xbox. I hope Microsoft gets sued. Just like they're sueing Apple right now for copyright infringements on the iPod.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13411878,00.html

Sickening. Get a life Bill.. get off Apple's poop. Make your own.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Clever words from a clever 16 y/o :rolleyes:

jon

21. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

*cough* fanboy *cough*

Honestly, dude... it's way too early to say which consoles will fail and which will prevail. A lot of people like to listen to music while they're gaming. It's a personal thing.

Oh and isn't windows a MS product? And doesn't Apple have a version of iTunes for windows? I'm not saying iTunes for xbox360 will happen (it probably won't), but still.

22. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Those of you complaining about playing music through your TV.. Obviously you don't have a good home theater hi-fi system. The speakers hooked up to my mac are $15 Creative pieces of *****, I don't have a stereo on the litteral sense. But my mac is also running optical out to my receiver/Klipsch speakers/HDTV.

23. applekid macrumors 68020

If I'm not mistaken, the X-Box 360 is probably accessing the iPod as a USB Mass Storage device. That's how the PSP is "connected" to the X-Box 360.

24. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The XBox 360 looks like a nice media centre, but is it too much to ask to see game footage?

25. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

My stereo is a surround receiver hooked to the HDTV. With this I can have all my music, on my stereo, controlled by remote. I'm sick of only having my songs in the office and on the ipod.