Xbox 360 v2 : HDMI, 65nm chips & 120GB HDD

Discussion in 'Games' started by Piarco, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Just read this over at Engadget: xbox360 v2 - Codename Zephyr

The 120GB HDD has to be an optional extra surely... but an HDMI port as standard is nice. The 65nm chips should make it cooler, so less fans noise... but we all know the main culprit is the optical drive. If I heard a new quiet drive was going in I'd definitely sell on my current 360!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

[​IMG]

:( nice but doesnt let us know if the current model can support a HDMI cable adapter. Maybe just adding a HDMI port as standard on the newer rev doesnt rule it out for existing users (i hope), not that it matters as I ues component anyway.

They have said on record the current model could, but who knows.
    They will have a lot of pissed off users if they dont comeout with a cable.

120gb HDD, seems like overkill really - unless your downloading a ton of HiDef movies (that 'arent available in Europe anyway) but still seems too big.

Quieter is good, Cooler is very good. So I may be tempted to trade in my old machine for a newer one anyway. (much like I did when nintendo updated its handhelds, and will do when they release a dvd capable Wii later in the year). Plus I have to get a PS3 yet. Just when I thought only a few pieces of hardware to buy in 2007 ;)

3. darkwing macrumors 65816

Is this further evidence to back me up that they can't put a HDMI out for the current model? If they were smart, they'd offer this new improved model with a trade in on the old one.

I'll probably wind up buying a ps3 "v2" if they ever make the 65 nm SOI chips just because I'd like less power consumption. Before the ps3 I used 5 kW per month and now I'm afraid to see that increase noticeably.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Would be nice if they did offer a reasonalbe trade up facility for those wishing to get HDMI, but was wondering.

Doesnt it just prove that the AV port is digital if they can just graft HDMI to it, so maybe a convertor cable is still possible for existing users?

who knows. :confused:

DarkWing you think there's going to be a Rev2 PS3 for 2007 as well ? Should I hold off from getting one at euro launch then I wonder.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep could indeed be a mod

7. mkubal macrumors 6502a

It seems that if they could simply make a new cable they would do that instead. I'd bet that their profit margins would be higher on a $50 (at least) adapter/cable for HDMI than it would be on an entirely new machine. Although making a new version of the console would probably result in an increased number of people owning a 360. As in, an early adopter sells his 360 to a buddy who would never have purchased one anyway, so that he can buy the new version.

Also, I think I remember a guy on one of the Major Nelson podcasts saying that the output was analog, thus no HDMI. Don't quote me on that. I stopped listening to his podcast when he acted like EA was doing everyone a favor by giving them the "choice" to buy new jerseys.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

No, I meant for me to mod my old one, although the fact that this is a fake is just as possible

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh ok. I guess both are feasible.

Well as long they only release a core with these updates, I can save a bit of money that way and sell my existing 360 (or use it in a different room connected to seperate display).

10. darkwing macrumors 65816

I have said all along and I'll say it again that they're going to come out and say they were not able to make an HDMI cable for the 360. When this happens I will gloat. When it doesn't happen, someone will create a "Darkwing eat your words" thread or something.

I am not sure if there will be a rev 2 ps3 or not. They are supposedly going to start making a 65 nm cell processor this year, but who knows if that will go in the ps3. It's all speculation. The cells are used in other applications.

11. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

You could use it as a dedicated live server

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Wouldn't it be cool if this was an additional SKU all of its own?

Something like a Premium HD 360 or something like that and sells for 500$ (and includes the 120GB drive, maybe make it replaceable like the PS3's) and includes the HDMI cable.

That would be nice and would be a big blow to Sony, the 360 would not have any disadvantages to the PS3... except Blu-Ray games but I don't think BR will give developers a huge advantage, remember on the CD days were we were having a lot of multi cd games even before the DVD came out... I have yet to see a multi-dvd game...

I think thats rather important to consider.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll probably end up giving it away as a birthday present or some such, make it look like I'm very generous when really i'm just justfying blowing more money :D :D :D

14. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I always did prefer seeming more humane than not and where's the optical audio on it? I know hdmi can carry audio but what if you want hdmi to display and audio to receiver where said reciever is not hdmi but has optical?

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If they can reduce productions costs of the hardware as well as lower the defect rate, this could be really good.

I'm sure if they do HDMI and include 120GB it's there for those people who are going to compare specs and pit it against PS3. Having a larger standard harddrive would stand out on a box for these people (although 80GB would work just as well I'd think).

Now lets see them integrate a WiFi chip and we'd have a winner... something I'd definitely be willing to trade in for.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that's true. That is very strange indeed. Now I'm not so sure if its genuine or not, seems like that's a hefty omission.

Yep that would certainly be beneficial.

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'd be gutted if they brought this out. Although I have no reason to be.

HDMI? Don't care. Only use the HDTV now and again and I have component cables, TBPH I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I don't think.

120Gig HDD? Yup, over kill I'd agree with whoever said that. I have 2 albums on my HDD, all my music, streaming videos, etc, etc are on the Mac and streamed to the 360. Something like 11.9 Gig free, I wouldn't use it.

I just have to have the latest and greatest. Although I think this is something I can do without... Only thing I want is quieter and cooler... :(

18. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I know its early but there is no mention of adding wifi in the article as well. at this point this would have to be a big bullet point probably after hdmi and 120GB hard drive.

19. Motley macrumors 6502

I was thinking more like:
    New XBox with larger HD and HDMI becomes the new Premium
    Old Premium (with the cooler chip and quiet drive but lacking larger HD and HDMI) becomes the new core.

Prices stay the same.

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Little micro-adapter for the AV port?

21. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I am in almost the same boat except i am using composite

22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well, the Component cable has an Optical audio jack on the back of the connector, perhaps the solution in this case will be similar.

On a side note, isn't Optical a digital audio connection? Because it's going through the component cable of current 360s. Doesn't mean it does digital video, but it's carrying a digital signal of some kind if it does Optical Audio.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

wants and needs are always two seperate things. Like myself I'm sure we'll find a way of justifying a needless upgrade :D

Quite probable, and probably not till late summer or xmas.

Simply shocking spanky ;)

mmm could be.

24. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Your right. Which is really sad. :(

I can't afford it though. Hehe.

*Pleaseeeeee be fake*

25. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

if you look closely the outline around the video ports looks suspect and look like a slight recess of where only existing avport is and not taking into consideration of newports