xbox 360 vs PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim2006, Dec 28, 2006.

?

xbox 360 vs ps3

1. PS3

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Xbox 360

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

Many post but no polls. which do you prefer based on games, graphics, coolness, etc. Wii is excluded on purpose.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Voted 360. Most likely the one I'll be getting. Why?

-Cheaper. No way am I spending 450 quid on a system (yea, guess which OS I'm in :D )
    -More games. f*** potential. I don't want to look at it thinking "oh in a few years it's going to be great", I want to play games and say "now this is a great game". It's what the gamer in me desires.
    -Excellent controller. Really, my wired 360 controller (for PC use) just shipped and I'm damn chuffed.
    -fantastic online capabilities.

It's not perfect either.
    -no backing up to PC without expensive 3rd party equipment.
    -loud DVD drive
    -paltry 20gb storage space, for HD shows/games/precaching I'd expect more.
    -no built in WiFi
    -no SD card support, Microsofts own brand memory card? WTF?! Even the Wii has an SD card slot.
    -no game grabbing me at the moment. I am open to this too, I got an original Xbox just for Halo.
    -Xbox Live Arcade games, even the 2D plane ones lack charm. It's only a tiny niggle but they look so heavily Photoshopped, so obvious and tacky looking.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

4. islandman macrumors 6502

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Jimmi you forgot the main thing.

For £360 you get a console + the development XDA tools so you can develop multi versions of Satan Sam and then later next year - you'll be able to share them with the rest of the world via marketplace.

Even the Wii's development set costs a lot more than that :)

Microsoft have given bedroom developers and students a huge boost with this and I'm surprised you havent bought one just for the development kit.

Outside of that. 360 all the way. Given 12 months there will be very few exclusives on the ps3 to justify its price ticket for me.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

X360 for me. For one, the PS3 is more than I want to spend, and I already have a 360 with great games.

Looks like MR prefers the Xbox so far. :)

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I have had my xBox 360 for almost a year and there are no games that grab me on the PS3. Even if I could find one at sticker, I wouldn't buy it until a game that was only available for it really spoke to me....:D

Right now, I am hard pressed to find any games that look better on the PS3 than they do on my 360....:)

8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Now if only I could find a killer bundle...

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't researched much into XNA, but buying a Wii development kit (after a certain bit of talking with Nintendo and publishers etc) will let you make money off the game, allows for more creative input methods (wiimote or Classic controller) and all that. Size limit is 8.5gb. XNA would be nice for hobbyists but I did all that with PC stuff between 1997 to 2006, next year I'll be heading into a proper gaming career so I'll need more than XNA. The only thing XNA gives me now over what I've previously been doing is the ability to play on Xbox 360 consoles. Hell I limit myself to pixel art on purpose :p not a fan of large photoshop 2D graphics or amateur 3D.

BUT. It does sound very nice. If only it was here 10 years before... which it was with the Amiga (AMOS, Shoot em up Construction Kit, STOS and co.). I can see XNA and sharing online to be particularly huge and very popular.

10. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

360, because of live and the exclusive games gears, halo, and fable 2 (to name a few).

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Look in GAME. We had Premium 360, GoW and CoD3 for £299

Also play.com has some kick ass ones. :)

Interesting to see tho, a lot of pro 360 votes and comments, but no comments in favor of the PS3. For once I can honestly say I love me some Microsoft.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well.. I'm a self-confessed Sony Fanboy, but the more I see about the PS3, the less chance I'll be buying one. I also once stated that I saw no reason to put more money into Microsoft's pocket than I already do, but I see myself hurtling towards a purchase of the xPox 360. So... I voted XBox 360.

13. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Oh yeah - if there's one division of Microsoft that really excels, it's the game division

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In a way. They're still the only next gen console to not support gyroscopic controllers. It's like the 360 feels like a second attempt at the Xbox, rather than an entirely new machine.

15. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

LMAO the first guy who replied mentioned more games to back up why the 360 is better. The PS3 just came out no **** there aren't that many games available.

16. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

LMAO...

... ****!

What is a console with no decent games to play on it? It's a brick. A fracking™ expensive brick at that.

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I'd far rather have that than a half-assed rumble replacement gimmick

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

360, of course.

It's cheaper, it's more flexible, it has a better online experience, its games are waaaaaay better (and there's no evidence that this will change anytime soon), and Microsoft have clearly put more thought into what gamers want vs. Sony's approach of how they can hype it to push some new technology (Blu-ray) that few people want and which adds $200 to the price of the system.

BTW, saw this sign at Best Buy in Charlotte today: "YES!!! WE HAVE PS3's IN STOCK!!!"

<pop>

19. darkwing macrumors 65816

I bought a PS3 because I've always been a Sony guy. Everything I own is Sony except for my Onkyo receiver and speakers. I just hate MS and don't want to give them any money at all. I'm actually surprised that with all the MS hatred on this forum so many like the 360. :) It's a nice machine but just isn't for me. I've placed plenty of bets with my friends that the PS3 will be #1 like the PS2 was by 2008. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

I'm enjoying the heck out of my PS3 though. I guess that's all that really counts. I'm saddened by the fact that only a couple decent games will be out in the next 6 months though. Still, I have that stack of unopened PS2 games to get through. :)

20. Sheebahawk macrumors member

Vs

been playing my friends xbox 360, one thing no ones mentioned yet,

xbox does 1080dpi or whatever its called, and the ps3 only does 740 or whatever since japanese tvs dont go to 1080. Correct me if im wrong.

as far as the games go, only thing that really blew me away so far has been call of duty 3

halo 3 is the only future game that really excites me.

21. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

On the 360? I must agree, though 'Lost Planet' and 'Bioshock' look good also, but thats only 3 games in the 'near' future, so not looking good so far.

But yeah, CoD is damn good, GoW as well, one worth looking at. :D

22. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

23. darkwing macrumors 65816

Actually Microsoft had to do a firmware upgrade to allow the 360 to support 1080p because Sony's #1 hype factor was being able to do movies and games in that resolution.

I don't get the whole Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD thing. If you look on Wikipedia, the Blu-Ray page says HD-DVD only does 1080i but the HD-DVD page says both formats do 1080p. :rolleyes:

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Both systems can do 1080p.

25. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Except nothing on the PS3 can do 1080p yet, not even by upscaling - if you're not on 720p, you're forced into 480p. Iirc, no game for 360 does 1080p, either - it's either de-interlaced 1080i or upscaled 720p