xbox 360 wireless, i dont want to buy the 100 dollar adapter.

Discussion in 'Games' started by count chocula, Jan 13, 2007.

1. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

I know there are other options for wireless with the 360, but i'd like to know if this and this would work. I'm thinking about getting a 360 today, but i want to a have a solution to getting on the internet before i buy one. sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, i looked.

2. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I have the core 360 without any internet and I find the machine to be great fun. I say get it regardless. If you're in the market for a console already, are you going to pass up owning it for years to come for this small factor?

Also, you can buy the adapters used. I saw them used at a local buy n' sell place for 50 bucks. Have you considered that?

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Only Microsoft USB adapters work right. However, Ethernet "Game Adapters" (Made by DLink, Linksys, etc) will all work fine. (Run $60-$70ish) "Ethernet Bridges" will also work but will run a bit more over $100. :)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I saw the 360 wireless adaptor open box for 29.99 at Bestbuy a week ago.. I wish I had bought it :eek:

I guess its MS's way of making up for including HD cables in the premium pack (Nintendo and Sony :mad: :mad: :mad: )

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Doesn't really seem far does it...MS Wi-Fi is 100...Nintendo's HD Cables are 40.

7. adiosk8 macrumors regular

oh people..

buy a 10 dollar wireless router and set it up as a access point and then plug it into the 360

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hmm. All Nintendos cables are £19.99 here. if they're costing you $40 then I think we've found the first time UK price is the same as US price. Wifi is £69. You could buy a friggin DS for that, with WiFi too. or 3-4 standard WiFi USB dongles.

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm doing this with the old one when we upgrade to N

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've seen them for $50-60 / £25-30 on ebay

I dont regret getting mine :)

11. pcypert macrumors 6502

Can someone get a bit more specific on the 10 dollar router deal as I'd love to set this up for my 360

Paul

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

They are a little expensive, but when you think you can pay £50+ for a wireless access point it doesn't seem that much. Too expensive for me though.

13. adiosk8 macrumors regular

when best buy or whoever has a deal on a router, buy that...it doesnt have to be anything fancy and you can set it up as an access point instead of directly routing the internet and you can just plug the 360 into one of the ports in the back

but 100 dollars for microsofts adapter is absurd....yet they sell a ton of them

14. BlairMALL macrumors newbie

Sorry about the lack of ability on my part. I have my cable(broadband/Ethernet) hooked into my Airport Base Station. I also have an Airport Express.

Do you know if it would be possible to plug my Xbox 360 into my Airport Express for Xbox Live?

I know I may seem like an idiot, but I just don't want to spend money for an Xbox Live account only to discover that I need to plunk down more cash for the Xbox wireless device.

Many Thanks,

Mr. Bootles

15. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I was talking to a friend this weekend. We were saying that if Microsoft was to drop the price on the wireless adapter to say $50 (which I don't even think it is worth) then people wouldn't complain as much when comparing a 360 to a PS3. That way, when you combine a 360+wireless adapter+HD DVD drive, it comes out the same as getting a PS3+HD cables. Also, many places are bundling games or accessories with 360's right now making the package an even better deal.

I don't have the 360 wireless adapter, I am still using the old XBox one. It's not as clean looking as the 360 one, but it does just as good a job. If they dropped the price to $50, I would pick one up in a second, but I do not think in any way it is worth $100.

16. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Maybe MS will add one as standard when Ver 2 comes out, with the Wii and PS3 having wireless access as standard MS are very lacking in this area.

17. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Not everyone is running wireless only in their homes though.
    Wireless is more of a coffee shop/library sort of thing. IME most home networks are wired or a combination wired/wireless.
    Wireless still has security issues (even with WPA and WPA2 being nearly uncrackable, there's still nothing like a true hard wire to keep anyone else out).

I guess you're a glass half empty guy and I'm glass half full. :)
    I see wired as the standard, not wireless. :D

18. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Still very much in the Wired router world, but if i spend £300 on a 360 don't want to have to spend another £30 to buy an adaptor for it.

All my kit is upstairs, but eventually i'll have something downstairs (Wii, 360, internet radio).

19. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Microsoft must be making serious profit off these adapters. I mean, when Nintendo can put it in a $130 DS is can't be that much. I really think that if these sold for $50, they would pretty much sell one with every system. As I said before, $50 sounds very reasonable to me for a adapter like this.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That or leave them at their current full price; but bundle it with 12 months Live membership.

That would make them very good value. After all anyone purchasing one of these is 99% likely to be using Live anyway.

21. stagecustom macrumors regular

right now, i am sharing internet from my mac mini to my 360 and there is no problem. i may get the wireless adapter sometime, but it costs 3 times as much as my d-link router!

goodluck. and enjoy your 360.

22. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Just get a el-cheapo Linksys WRT54GL or similar router for $30-40 US and install DD-WRT firmware on it. Voila! A much expandable option for the future.