xbox 360 worth it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sweetlou, Jun 20, 2006.

1. sweetlou macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2006
    Okay, I was thinking about buying a new xbox 360. From everything I've seen, it seems to be pretty cool, but i'm not sure if its worth the $300 to buy the "core system", especially cause im a little short on money right now. I wouldnt really consider myself to be a really serious gamer, but i do play quite often. Right now I have a gamecube ( i bought it cause it was the cheapest of course) and I'm really starting to get sick of the crappy games made for it. I figure sooner or later I'll end up buying one of the next generation video game systems. I'm definatly not gonna buy the nintento Wii after my experience with gamecube, and I would wait for a playstation 3, but from what i've heard it'll cost at least $500. Should I go for the xbox 360??

help would be greatly appreciated!!!
  2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

Sep 6, 2005
    I just bought an XBOX 360, and I love it.

Unfortunately, you need to be willing to fork over money for the games as well (which typically run 50-60 bucks each). Furthermore, you're really going to want the Premium version of the 360 - not because it includes the wireless controller or the nicer-looking case, but because it comes with the hard drive, something that you'll definitely want (and costs 100 bucks by itself anyway).

Save up and buy a system that'll last until PS4 comes out...the top-end XBOX 360 is still 100 bucks less than the low-end PS3, tho.

Or just wait for the Wii - that won't cost near as much as the 360 or the PS3.
  3. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Dec 8, 2005
    The Opium Garden
    i was not a serious gamer either....

i am now playing call of duty 2 and fight night online EVERY night when i get home from work....

my girl has to yell at me to get off so she can watch tv on the bigscreen :D
  4. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    If you are going to get the 360, get the premium for $400, or else your ripping yourself off big-time. If it was me...I'd wait till Nov. and spend the extra $100-200 on a PS3. Thats my 2 cents.
  5. sb58 macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
    the core system isn't worth it. your still going to want to get a hard drive anyway. it ends up costing more. and if your tight on cash, screw the PS3. i wouldn't buy that even if i had the money. you could wait for the Wii but w/e.
  6. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Okay, it's agreed that the premium system is pretty much the only way to go. I love my 360. At first I got a lemon and got really upset but this one is working great, so don't get turned off if you get a dud, it happens.

If you're an RPG fan, Oblivion will keep you occupied for many, many, many hours.
  7. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Agreed. Better to get the HDD and wireless controlelr. Trust me, the wireless controller is worth the extra 100 bucks alone. I love that thing. So light, so responsive..
  8. cyberddot macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2003
    in a forest
    Agreed on multiple counts! The premium is the only way to go for the aforementioned hardware advantages, ie. the HD. I finished my shopping and now I'm just patiently waiting to get the funds to make the $460 purchase... the '360 and my copy of Oblivion. :)

I was pretty hardcore about my WoW gaming time but gave it up after a year of play. I hadn't really gamed much since, until I borrowed a co-workers '360 for a week or so, and then rented Oblivion for a trial run. OuCh! That game had me go for a 14 hour stretch before my wife woke up on Saturday and asked if I'd been playing all night :eek: . I'm already planning my next foray after the purchase. ;)

9. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2006
    Dude...the nintendo wii is gonna be the best system ever, it will be better than a stupid hand controler.
  10. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    heh, keep telling yourself that. Look how great the gamecube turned out. besides a couple of exclusives, mostly nintendo made, very few must have games that are not available for other systems.

Anyway, I like my gaming gimmick free thanks.
  11. ericsthename macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2005
    Vancouver BC

Well, from someone who has every console available at the moment, and having owned a core 360 and now a premium, here are several things to consider. I first bought a core 360 for much the same reason - I am a college student, and I managed to get my hands on a core 360 at the time when they were very scarce. The premium is by far what the 360 should (and needs) to be. First of all, you have no way to save your games when you crack open that new 360, without spending a minimum of 40-50 bucks extra on a memory card. So already, the premium is only $50 away, and you have a wired controller, no backwards compatibility, no headset and a standard cable. My biggest beef with both the core and the premium is how noisy they are. Compared to all the other consoles I own, I'd bet that the 360 is louder than all of them running at the same time. To boot, there are 2 drive models, one is quieter than the other, and I have the quieter one... I guess most mac users are used to near silent fans and low noise emissions. Beyond these few must-considers, the 360 is a very fun system to play, I just wish that some blockbuster games would come out.... Im tired of Project Gotham 3 and Perfect Dark Zero, but I cant justify the 60 price point for what is out there now - mostly regurgitated "current gen" games.
  12. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
  13. x86 macrumors regular

May 25, 2006
    Dearborn, MI
    He's talking about Microsoft, not Sony...
  14. cycocelica macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    I love mine and wouldn't trade it ever. The games out for it right now are very good and they only seem to be getting better. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
  15. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2003
    I agree. Mine sounds like a blow dryer. If anybody is considering the Intercooler attachment, don't. It makes the the whole thing even louder. I had to return mine because it burned out after 5 minutes of use.

Attached Files:

16. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    As your not a Nintendo gamer, it come down to the 360 and PS3. From the E3 conference the 360 has some superb games, great concept with Vista, out now, and is cheaper. While the PS3 'sucked' quite a bit at E3 (IMO) the game line up looks good also, but the cost and concept of where they want to take the PS3 is unclear and seems to be 'out there' in Sony's intention for the future.

Get 360 in summing, get the premium too :)
  17. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Get a 360 save for the premium its worth it, or if your not in a rush wait for the imminent price drop saying this if you want one now just go for it they are a great system and M$ have very good customer care if you get a dud.....

Also if I was a betting man i'd put a lot of $£$£ on the 360 winning the next gen war especially that next Gen. GTA online is exclusive to 360 now....

18. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    So i guess you'll be happy for an xBox 1.1(marketed as xBox 360) or a PS3(which you may or may not be able to play once you sell your arm for one)

I do wonder if you can play Ps3 with one hand?
  19. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Yes, I am happy with my xbox 360, and I'm sorta looking forward for the PS3, not because I'm buying one but because I'm interested in how things will turn out for Sony. As far as Nintendo, I've never been a big fans, and all their 'innovations' bore me. No offense to anyone.
  20. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Gainesville, Fl
    I would buy XBOX 360 if they have HD-DVD built-in or come with it. :D

Still loathe PS3. Maybe I can get Wii. Looks very good though.
  21. cplusON3R macrumors regular

May 8, 2006
    Dirty Jersey

not sure about you guys but I dont even hear the intercooler or 360 fans running when I'm playing a game. do you guys have your receivers volume turned way down? the intercooler is definatly worth it. especially for only 20 bucks.

I dunno about the ps3 yet. looks sorta tempting.. sorta

the wii looks to be a must buy for me. not sure about the wiimote being a gimmick when most if not all games will utilize the motion technology nintendo is offering. I too want my gimmicks free.. but the dual analog ps2... errrr.. I mean dual analog ps3 controller is definatly gonna cost money.. c'mon.. its a friggin ps2 controller with a 360 guide button and limited motion.. talk about half-a$$
  22. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    That's funny. Nintendo saw what happened with the Cube and are avoiding it. you know, with their large 3rd party support (teams have dropped the PS3 and moved to the Wii and DS), cheaper price, online, easier handheld connectivity and a new controller that has impressed players and have developers in an excited daze. gimmick free. keep telling yourself that ;) look at how the Cube turned out... hah. a machine that sold almost the same as the original Xbox without advertising, without online play, with a kiddy image... etc ;) so I suppose if holding grudges is the way forward then I hope you don't visit Germany. heaven forbid you visit Japan for bombing America.

360 worth it? Only the Premium package. and ONLY if you can give it an internet connection and/or HDTV support. otherwise just stick with a regular Xbox and buy a wireless controller.
    frankly I'm going to wait. no 360 games have me. I'd equal it to the PSP for the time being - looks nice, does nice things, no games. I do want one though. I have an original Xbox and wouldn't mind upgrading. but theres rumour of a radical hardware redesign to drop the price and cooler chips to reduce noise. I'm waiting. unless you have the "need to buy now" disease then wait. you'll be happier for it.
  23. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2003
    I can definately hear the fans when I'm playing a game, though it's much quieter when I'm watching a movie. I guess it doesn't generate as much heat for DVD's or something. I don't play with the volume very high, so that may be an issue.

There is a company that is working on a watercooled system, maybe I'll wait for that if it comes to market.

Attached Files:

24. ScarletRed macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2006
    Right here
    Should you decide to go buy an Xbox 360, I can sell you mine (if you are 18 or over) and if you don't mind grabbing a slightly used one at a real bargain price. I bought mine about a month ago on a whim after reading the Elder Scrolls IV: Obvlion review on Unlike so many unfortunate owners of Xbox 360 out there, I have not had a single problem with my machine. Probably because I haven't been running the machine all night long like so many people have done (and it CAN happen when you play rpg).

FYI, I bought the core set and later bought a separate 20 GB hard drive for it. The only game I have for it is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Everything is in mint condition. I am willing to sell it if you can make me a reasonable offer and if you can arrange the means to transact the deal so neither of us will get ripped off.

The reason why I am selling is because after about two weeks of use, I simply lost interest. And with summer work and a recently pruchased MacBook Pro, I have enough things to keep me busy for a long time. If I don't hear from you in a week or two, I'll just put it up for auction on ebay.
  25. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2004
    GTA Online a 360 exclusive? When was this announced? I know that the downloads for GTA4 are currently exclusive to the 360, though I don't know how long that will last once the PS3 is out and about.

I'm sorta in the same position as the OP. I've been thinking about splashing some cash on a 360, but having been burned with the PSP ( cool machine, with only a couple of worthwhile games ), I'm thinking that I might just hang on, and see what effect the PS3 has on it. Assassins Creed is very tempting, though I'm sure I've seen that it will be 360 bound. GTA4, PS3/360 bound. In the end, it comes down to this: Which has the games you want to play, and which evil empire are you aligned with? :)

In the meantime, I'm passing time playing those "crappy" 'Cube games -Metriod Prime 1/2, some of the Zelda's ( OOT and Majora's Mask ROCK on the 'Cube, roll on Twilight Princess ).