XBOX 360 $$$$

Discussion in 'Games' started by alien_ware, May 13, 2005.

1. alien_ware macrumors newbie

how much will the 360 cost and how much will the games be?

2. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

nothing I've seen given about costs yet
    but I guess either $300-$400usd
    hopefully games stay the same price cost wise as they are now.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

The last two generations started at $299. Maybe DC rolled out at $399 for a minute or two before they quickly dropped to $299 - can't recall for sure. Anyway, I can't imagine M$ trying to charge more than $299, but you never know.
    As for games, there has been some chatter about $50 not being enough to cover development costs, and that we may start to see premiums for some titles. That would suck. Didn't Halo 2 come out with a $55 "premium" edition with a DVD and a different case? I think that sort of thing, where you get $2 worth of extra content for an extra $5 or $10, might happen more often.

4. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

the detroit news said today

3 - 400 for 360

54.99 to 59.99 games

IMO i am waiting for PS3 = more power :)

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

6. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

dunno I think it would be a stupid idea not to sale a xbox 360 without a HDD.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well the hard drive is removable and Microsoft has said in the past it probably won't ship with a HD in the base version.

I'd call it genius. It plays games fine without it but if you want all the extra features you spend extra money.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its all about the upgrades...

I might actually get one - hook it up to my Dell 24" LCD and play it in HD....and I really like the fact that its internet ready - although I don' t know if I want to start paying more a month to go online and lose to 12 y.o. kids who play 24/7. There just isn't much free time anymore.....

D

9. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

I dont plan on buying one. ps3 baby :D but 55 to 60 bucks for games. Hopefully that isn't going to be the case. New games have always been 50 or lower. All the way back since the NES days. :) how i miss those...

10. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Actually, M$ said there will be only one version and it look like it will include a 20 GB hard drive.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I've read that as of today as well. Guess we'll see if that sticks or not.

12. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yahoo said that they are going to see what kind of feedback they receive at e3 and then see how many versions of the 360 they release.

13. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Actually the Dreamcast launched for $199, the Saturn launched for $399 and had a pricedrop to $299.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Dreamcast launched for $199? Didn't know that. Cool. I originally almost bought one, but don't remember the price.

The GameCube also launched at $199, so thats an extra one for your list.

15. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Actually games for N64 were around $70. It's hard to imagine I used to pay that for a game.

16. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I say nothing over $60 bucks is good depending on the title will determine the price. I did notice 2 versions of doom 3 for xbox, one was 49.99 the other was 59.99 at walmart. looks like its starting already...

17. themacman macrumors 6502

the second, more expensive game your refering to is a special edtiton, and it just has more stuff. Madden did that too.

18. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

As was Halo 2: SE.

19. Angrist macrumors 6502

I was talking to a Gamestop clerk yesterday (picking up an Xbox live headset), and he showed me the email that they just got saying that the Xbox 360 would sell for ..... drumroll please .... $499.99

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Could be, although GameStop employees have a terrible record. One told me the other week that the new Zelda game takes place in Hell. :confused:

21. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Yeah.... Gamestop employees have about the same record as the LA Clippers....

22. alien_ware thread starter macrumors newbie

hi this is alien_ware and i know this is off topic but no one is answereing my other threads. i need help on cheast for simcity 4 for mac. how do i open the typing menu like the place you enter the chesats. iread you have to press ctrl-x but it never works can you help me?

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I couldn't imagine paying $50 for a game. Even back in the Nintendo (original) day, I'd just rent or buy used. Or wait a few months after the game came out. I payed $30 for a fighting game for my PS2, and even that seemed extravagant. Kingdom Hearts was $20 when I bought it, and I love that game. But after I beat it, I barely play it anymore.

But, I'm just cheap.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Same here. I might pay $50 for the new Zelda game, but other than that I always wait.

25. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Just to chime in here... I also read that the initial XBox sales would be for a single version with the HD and a single controller. I think thats pretty smart for a couple of reasons... most importantly is that they will want to be sure that a majority of users have the HD, so developers actually take advantage of it. I can see them releasing a budget edition w/o a HD AFTER there are lots of games that require the HD available. Also, XBox1 games will mostly require a HD if there will be any backwards compatibility in the 360.

For price, if they go more than $300 any advantage they are gaining by being first to market will disapear. People will see it as overpriced, and just wait for PS3 or Revolution to be released. If they are smart they will price it lower than that, around $250 or include some extras like a full game or more than one controller in a $300 set, and try to sell as many of these as possible before the competition arrives.

Games will be more than $50 for pretty much any A-list game. I'm guess that $60 will be the new standard pricepoint for all but the budget games. As mentioned, $50 has been the 'normal' price for a long long time, and just taking inflation into account an increase in price is over due. Add this to the fact that with games going HD the textures are going to have to improve greatly, requiring more man hours in the art department... those are just tho of the reasons I am betting on more expensive games this generation.

As a note, GBA games have been $30 since it's release, but the last few 'killer app' games (Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Zelda: Minish Cap, and Maroi Party Advance to name a few) have been $35. Adding to the already mentioned $55-60 price of Doom3 and the newer sports games, I think we can be assured that there will be a jump in price.