Xbox 720, PS4 and Nintendo Next Revolution

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cheap-Chopstix, May 16, 2005.

1. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

Aug 13, 2003
    in a tree
    Well since we already know 2 of the 3 consoles specs. Might as well let the fanboys battle it out for the next next generation spec wars. Wonder what they'll put in the next next gen consoles. Will the PC's and Consoles fully merge into one unit by then? Will Nintendo still exist? Will Sony merge the PS4 and next gen Aibo Robot together? Will it also do your laundry? Throw your speculations or debates on the next next gen wars in here.
  2. Vader macrumors 65816

Oct 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, it will still be at least 2-3 years until the next new systems!
  3. snkTab macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
  4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    More like 4-5!

The average console lifespan is 5 years.

The XBox will be 4 years this time, because they launched last last time and first this time.

Nintendo will be 5 years and Sony 6 because they launched a year before Nintendo.

Before that it was always 5.

I predict by then, VR helmets that receive commands from our brains. Just like the ones they use for paralyzed people.
  5. jadam macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2002
  6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    The next generation will be different, we are now at the end of the home PC/video game/TV as separate systems.

5 years from now, there will be no OSX or macs or longhorn, sell that MS ****, Google is taking over the world...
  7. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2004
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Video game consoles will always be an alternative for those who just want to play games and dont want to spend the money on a whole computer. They will never really die out because they are extremely popular i have yet to see neone who doesnt know what they are or who hasnt played them at some point or another. I have my mac for work and design purposes but i have my xbox, ps2, and gamecube for the gaming and may i say they never dissapoint me :D
  8. snkTab macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    lol sorry, the original post did mention robot development, which made me go on a tangent. and if you haven't seen the gundam demo for the ps3 you need to watch it.... AMAZING

It's the second link, and its in the middle somewhere
  9. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    Quote "maybe microsoft feels disadvantaged by apples upcoming movie service WTF" oh yeah :D :D :D :D
  10. jadam macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2002

WOW OMFGF!! What ive always wanted a really good gundam game!! YES!!!

I will now 100% be purchasing PS3.
  11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Didn't Sony already run TV commercials for the PS9? :)
  12. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    . . . speaking of which, the original NES (copyright 1985) had R.O.B.

Gyromite was Dyno-mite! Except of course it (and the Duck Hunt gun) was bad for epileptics.
  13. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    That's hilarious. I remember playing with R.O.B back in the day.
    Once opened, it didn't come with D size batteries, which sucked.
    On the other hand, it was fun playing with R.O.B. although pretty pointless.
    Right about that time, I purchased a Sega system, you know the one.
  14. bokdol macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    please say that is ingame and not a cg....
  15. snkTab macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    the clips as rumors has it, were not rendered in real time altough they were rendered with the same specs that the ps3 will be able to output. Killzone at least I know uses the actual game engine to display the demo even if we don't know to what extent they gave it a litle help time-wise in developing the frames.

So what we see now, should *cough* be what quality we will see later.

That said, It's good to see footage that's rendered this way. I still remember seeing tv spots for games that were being played at 12fps and fuzzy because the encoding. I bet those game developers were tearing there hair out when they realized whatever marketing firm did to their games.
  16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    That's what Sony said in their interview on G4TechTV half an hour ago.
  17. calyxman macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    In the next generation Sega will make a comeback with a system that will knock the pants off Sony, MSFT and Nintendo.... :p

I can only wish...
  18. manicdvln macrumors member

Dec 9, 2004
    I will bet you not Nintendo but Sony will opt out of the race.

MS will win in the end.

The only cash cow for Sony is the gaming industry, everything else Sony is losing millions on. They already 60 billion in debt. Yes, 60!!!!

The only company that will have the means and capabilities to support huge losses in the future will be MS. Nintendo on the other hand does not use the same business strategy of selling its hardware lower than cost manufacturing price.

If Sony doesnt do well this time, bye bye!
  19. No1 But Some1 macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2006
    My Oppinion/Idea

Sony IS going down.
    Sony's Product Catagories:
    walkman-dying due to mp3s
    mp3 players-killed by iPod and other mp3 players
    Playstation 2: dying
    Playstation 3: too expensive and bound to be a failure
    tv's-dying because of better and cheaper samsung and other asian
    Phones-dying due to thinner more usefull phones (even though a new concept
    phone looks PRETTY NICE

Nintendo is screwed.

Microsoft: only has two things going to them
    -Bungie aquisition (Halo franchise)
    -Xbox Live

Apple should get into the gaming war after sony and nintendo are dead.
    They make whatever they touch beautiful, even if the things they made have become a retarted overpriced fashion statement (iPod)

that would rule ^.
  20. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2006
    So, what's your rationale for Nintendo's failure?:rolleyes:
  21. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Either Sony or MS will drop out for the next gen. MS are losing too much cash for such a small marketshare. Sony, well theres the PS3 anti-hype. Not even Square Enix have a clue what they're trying to do, criticising their motions.
    Nintendo will die when Shigsy and Iwata are both cold in the ground. 2 massive creative forces. Without them they'd probably sell out and go for the no-innovation, graphics-only route. Unless Shigsy has a protégé.
  22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    I wouldn't say either MS or Sony will drop out next gen.

I'm not a fan of Sony but they are practically a cult leader in Japan. The PS3 will do well there, very very well. In the long run they will still be profitable enough to continue competing in future generations.

Microsoft didn't do that bad with the Xbox in the USA and I think they will do better with the 360 then the original Xbox. They have huge amounts of reserve cash and I just do not see them letting go of the video game market.

Personally I expect MS is really working to unify their PC and Console platforms from a development standpoint. MS loves to tie in their products and I see that continuing to happen even more with Windows/360.

Nintendo does great in the portable market and I definitely don't see that changing anytime soon. This alone will very likely keep them in the home console market because their will be demand for their brands. Not to say they couldn't end up an even smaller player in the home market, but my guess would be they'll be there for many years. Even if they did back out, they'd have their gameboys.

As for PS4/etc... who knows. I recall a interview with Sony many years ago saying they had talked with developers to find out what they would need to do CG/FMV-quality graphics in their games and it was something like 1000 times that of the PS1. They promised that for PS2 and ended up At about 100 times more powerful. Later they said that they had failed on that promise and intended to deliver on it with the PS3 so games would have full CG-quality graphics (Killzone, anyone?)

I don't have sources for that so call it speculation if you will but I think Sony will continue to work on getting cinema quality rendering in a home console. MS will continue to focus online and getting Xbox/Windows tied together. Nintendo will stay strong in portable gaming system and have fun "experimenting" in the home market with systems based around the gameplay and fun, rather then the graphics.

So there's my predictions! heh
  23. mkaake macrumors 65816

Apr 10, 2003
    People seem to be forgetting that of the 3, nintendo has the best balance sheet - they're making money hand over fist, while the other two companies are bleeding cash, and can only make the difference up through selling games. Nintendo won't be going anywhere anytime soon, unless they decide they're bored with it.

Anyway, my rant is on the price of new games. 50, 60 bucks for a new game? That's crazy... who are they trying to market these too? It seems like they really want to snag the younger buyers, but most families I know gag at the price of new games...

Heck, I still can't bring myself to buy a game that costs more than about 20 bucks. Am I a cheapskate? Absolutely - but I still love to game.

Next next gen will be pretty well the same. Nintendo will re-intro the revolution, with more power, and an added degree of control of some sort. Sony will intro the PS4, which is the same as the PS2 and PS3, but more HP again. And it'll sport some new optical drive format that they desperately want people to adopt. MS will introduce the Xbox 3 (I don't think they'll go with 720, but they might, who knows), which will be roughly the same as the xbox 1 and 360. Both the PS and Xbox will sport some sort of user interaction via motion, ala Nintendo, claiming that 1) ninty sucked for doing it in the first place, 2) it's way better than what nintendo brought out, and 3) it'll revolutionize the way they play games. Oh, and they've got more computing power (theoretically) than a cray supercomputer.

<edit> I don't think any one of the three can reasonably be expected to drop out - they may be loosing money (well, not nintendo), but it's too big of a race to drop out of. Sony will continue to pour as much money as they can into the PS, as long as they've got a solid amount of market share, and when has MS ever walked away from something that wasn't popular, much less something that is? They've got enough money to pour at the xbox to keep it going no matter how much they loose per system...
  24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Thread necromance alert... This is from 2005!
  25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

So let me get this straight.

You think:

A) Sony, who has a worldwide 70% marketshare in home consoles and basicly rules the console game industry, is "dying".

B) Nintendo, who has an 80% marketshare in handhelds and basicly rules the handheld game industry, and makes a bigger profit than either Sony or Microsoft's games division and is doing EXTREMELY well, is "screwed".

C) Microsoft (who has taken a four billion dollar loss in their gaming division) hardly has anything going for them (true in Japan, definitely ;) ).

Wow. You're all gloom and doom. You think that the company in the worst position has the most going for it and the companies that are making the most money and have the biggest marketshare are dying.