xbox and mac mini

Discussion in 'Games' started by davidwes, Jan 24, 2005.

1. davidwes macrumors regular

How does this new apple product compare to an xbox? Remeber that when the xbox first came out it was about 300 dollars, pretty close to the mac mini. And for the extra 200 dollars you get a full mac system with ilife, a cd burner, and more.
    If apple could get more games onto there platform, why couldn't this thing compete with xbox? It can connect to your tv, and its smaller then the xbox!
    David

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They don't compare at all.

One is a games console and one is a personal computer, they are built and designed to pefrom completely different tasks.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Hardware-wise, one could make some comparisons, but the Mac mini would lose - not because it's slower (it isn't) or has a smaller drive (it doesn't) or is less-equipped (not true), but because you can pick up an Xbox for $150 new. With controllers and a game or two. For the mini, you'd need to at least add a keyboard and mouse, a DVI->composite video adapter, and games. $600 total, at least - four times that of the Xbox.

But, yes, if the Macs ran good games (and really, they do), the Mac mini would be a nice gaming setup - but only worth the cost if you also used the wonderful other apps that came with it.

4. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

one plays video games, specifically, XBOX games, and the other is, well, a computer. And has iLife.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Although, in all fairness, the Xbox makes a decent Linux box when properly modded, at a good price. Of course, at that point, it's an ugly Linux box that doesn't play games. ;)

6. davidwes thread starter macrumors regular

xbox 2

When xbox next comes out it could be around 300 dollars! And ofcourse the mac can't play xbox games, but it can play computer games, which are usually alot better. I mean, if a game can run on a playstation or a xbox, why couldn't it be run on a mac. (other then programing it) Doesn't the mac have enough power to run all those games, if they were made for the mac?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Actually yes but with graphic candy and resolutions turned down. I think a MinMac combined with a xbox makes for not only a terrific PC(excuse me) but opens the gamer to a wider range of titles. Lots of titles on one platform not on the other and the bigger titles on both giving the consumer more options for the format he chooses. Mini closes down all the garbage a windows person deals with and has a excellent set of apps known as ilife. Its benches dont look bad and they Surpass emacs. not bad for a tiny box heh?

8. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

I think this is the better comparison. The xbox next is supposed to have an IBM chip, an ATI graphics card, wireless capable, HD output (DVI) and be slimmer than the original xbox. That to me sounds a lot like the Mac mini.

The question will be if you want to pay $300 for something that only plays games, or pay $500 for something that does a little bit of everything.

9. davidwes thread starter macrumors regular

Exactely!! And if apple would push the game makers with this box, then people with ibooks, powerbooks, imacs would finally have more games to play as well!!
    As soon as I saw the mac mini, I immediatelly thought of the xbox!

Let me ask this, if every game that came out for an xbox was made avaiable for mac os, which would you buy, a mac for 499 or a xbox for 300?

10. gco212 macrumors 6502

No, the mini starts out as the underdog because of the way the software is written. When it is written for a computer, they try to get the game to look gorgeous on great systems, and stretch the minimal specs for the poorer systems. The Xbox, on the other hand, is one machine created millions of times. They don't have to worry about changes in the hardware, because it's all the same. They're then able to optimize the game for performance on that one system, and it will play identically on all xboxes. The job of creating a game that spans multiple computers with different specs hurts the game's performance on all systems.

11. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Actually, I paid a lot more for my mac with the promise of a lot fewer games. :)

I think you are onto something. I guess my next question is why doesn't apple release a console? Apple has shown that they can make a full fledged computer for $500. Why not do the same thing microsoft did, buy a game company (aspyr, blizzard?) to make games exclusively for their system. Tap into the billion dollar gaming industry while showcasing mac hardware and software to a new audience.

12. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Can any of this can be avoided because apple makes all their hardware?

13. gco212 macrumors 6502

Not really, because you would piss off the powermac users if a game ran on the mini the best. The only way for Apple to do it is to have a console system, not a personal computer. And the hardware would have to be similar to at least an iMac, because the hardware has to be good for at least 3-5 years. That's why they can get good graphics off of the Xbox/PS2. I mean Xbox is a 733 MHz processor, and 64 MB RAM; PS2 is a 295 MHz processor, with 32 MB RAM, and 4 MB VRAM. There's a reason that those systems can still look pretty.

14. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Maybe you can further explain this to me then. Lets say that apple didn't release a different console, but by the end of the year released a mac mini with specs similar to now (or possibly the iMac) for $300. In addition to that, hire gaming companies to program games specifically tailored to the mac in general. Do you think that the mac mini system will compete (graphically) with xbox, or xbox next? Now secondly, why wouldn't these games run not only on other macs, but better on higher end systems?

I understand that games look really good on consoles despite their hardware specs. I think this is a testiment to the programmers. Wouldn't the same be true for the mac? If programmers had to concentrate on mac hardware, why wouldn't they put out great looking games on sub par hardware as well?

15. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

You just can't compare the 2. They are built to do different things. The xbox is basically just for gaming, so it's built to do that to the fullest extent. The mac mini is not built for just gaming. Therefore, the mini will not stand a chance against an xbox for gaming. It's not logical to buy a mini for gaming when you could buy an xbox for a fraction of the price.

16. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I know this may seem lame to some of you, but i don't consider console gaming anything like computer gaming. Sure they both play games... sure they can both be online... but on a souped up computer, you can really SEE the effects. xbox has good grfx, but nothing like my Mac or PC.

A mini running a game at 420x320 would leave an xbox in wake of fury. But people don't game on home computers running at that kinda of res... cause it's pathetic.

17. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

and you could put osX on an xbox. :)

18. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

I play games on my computer for a reason. There's always the next mod, the next update, the next Map coming out, and its all free. So when I buy a $40 game, its more of an investement because I'm getting $40 of extra stuff once I download everything. PLus. I like the mouse better then a control stick, if I could pick up my Mac mini, plug it into a T.V. and start playing Grand Tourismo 6 (Or something like that) (Note that I know GT6 isn't out yet, Hint Hint "The Future"), then sure, that would be cool, but I would still want to pick it back up and start playing Rise of Nations. There are enough consoles out there, and Mac should wait before they make one, they need to improve they're name first. There are still people that laugh at every apple they eat and dont buy iPods because of the Apple logo on the box. Apple needs to focus towards they're Mp3 players and their computers and maybe someday those games on those computers, and THEN, maybe a console (I'd buy it). But untill then, Apple has a lot of work to do.

19. davidwes thread starter macrumors regular

no console

I didn't want to suggest they make a console. If they did it wouldn't improve the mac os gaming experience. I was thinking that apple should push game developers to make there xbox, ps2 games for mac os, and focus on making them work well for the mac mini. (if it works for the mac mini it will work great for a powermac). With the mac mini being used on a tv why wouldn't people look at there mac mini for games!