Xbox Controller to USB adapter...

Discussion in 'Games' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Jan 10, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

http://www.consolestop.com/product_info.php?products_id=53

I'm very interested in purchasing this product. I found the drivers that will make an Xbox Controller work on a Mac, so it, in theory, should work. Just wondering if anyone has one, and if so, how does it work?

Or does anyone recommend against doing this? I have like 4-5 Xbox controllers, and it would be great if I could use it on my Mac...

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I use my XBox controller with my Mac to play some games. The recent Halo update makes playing Halo with the XBox controller awesome, and it even works well for flight sims.

3. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

4. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i use my xbox controller to the adaptor i use it the one i made
    its simple the xbox controller is usb with a weird plug on the end so buy a extender cable for xbox and on for standard usb cut them in half and match the color wires(their is a extra ground on the xbox i believe it is yellow just leave it )
    plus if you attach the other 2 ends you get a standard usb plug for xbox i use it for my usb flash drive but i can be used for other stuff
    yeah thats right i have a gigabyte xbox memory card because of this :)

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

You know it's funny, I cant stand Microsoft Windows. But, I love my X-Box.

6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

yeah, here is the website that lets you do it.... http://homepage.mac.com/walisser/xboxhiddriver/

However, I just soldered on a connector and left the old one intact... imagine if you can, normal xbox wire, and out from the black plastic that you would hold.... well don't imagine them..

Attached Files:

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm actually surprised anyone actually wants to play using an Xbox controller! I thought it was the worst controller design in history, even if I confess the machine itself is not bad (I'm a Nintendo man, personally). Still, I'm not surprised there is an adaptor, as I heard the Xbox uses a USB bus, they just changed the shape of the connector to stop this sort of thing.

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

If you want to ask what I WANT to play with I'd say a N64 controller. But the xbox has an advantage. It's a normal USB device (albeit wired differently). And believe it or not, the xbox S controller is similar to the N64/gamecube controller. It is an absolute joy playing mario64 with my homemade xbox controller. I set the A and B buttons to such, the L is Z, R is R, and c buttons are mapped to both the right analog stick or the XYBW buttons, so you can use either in a game. (To use it with SixtyForce there is a bug that makes you use another button mapping hardware called Gamepad companion)

As for the non-S controller, well I recently went and bought a used one just because of how much I like the feel. Big hands.