XBOX, GameCube, or PS2 - which to buy?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Grimace, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

My last video game system was a Sega Genesis! I have a little more time on my hands now and I'd like to spend it playing video games. :p

I have NO knowledge of any of these types of systems, but I'd like to get one fairly soon. Got recommendations?? I like flight games (space or earth flightcraft) and games like UT2004 etc. 4 players at the most, and I don't really care about online gaming. I will be playing in my home recording studio so if there are systems with optical/coax digital audio outputs, that would be fantastic. There is also a high-end projector with S-video, component, and DVI inputs that I might hook up.

Thanks for the advice! :D

2. mattthemutt macrumors regular

mattthemutt

I have a PSX and PS2. Both I find are great for gaming. Gamecube is a very kiddy system in my opinion. The Xbox is more powerful than the PS2 and the Gamecube, but the selection of games isn't as diverse. I recommend the PS2. It comes with the DVD feature and it can play PlayStation games as well as CDs.

3. mattthemutt macrumors regular

mattthemutt

oh I almost forgot, PS2 has Optical Audio out.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

It was a bad decision to ask that question on these boards becuase you are going to get so many conflicting ideas between xbox and ps2. Only get gamecube if your into kiddy games. There are a few games worth playing but gamecube is geared more to kids. If your looking for something with amazing graphics go with xbox because it's one step ahead of ps2. If your looking for a huge selection of games, ps2 has that but most of them are not worth your time or money. It depends on what types of game you like to play. I find each system is geared to focusing on a certain type of game. Like xbox has lots of really good shooters. It has a fairly large selection of racing games as does ps2 but xbox will draw your attention more because of it's amazing graphics. Do some research because your going to get a lot of different reasons for buying one over the other. For me, i'd recommend xbox.

5. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

You will find many good points in this thread and my input:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=73674

6. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

That thread digressed a lot, but was helpful. The only thing I am worried about right now is the difference in quality between a 1Ghz G4 and an Xbox. Computer-based games have always looked better to me; maybe the Xbox is even better. I don't plan to be a hardcore gamer so maybe finding games I like that are made for Mac is best. Hmm.... :rolleyes:

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Support the team.

8. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

get an xbox
    i have both an xbox and a ps2
    i prefer xbox much more
    especuially if your into fps
    what you should do is go to block buster rent one then the other decide which you want

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I didn't know Blockbuster rented game consoles as well. Well, I am going to rent an Xbox. :p

10. brap macrumors 68000

Personally, I've never been able to play an FPS without a mouse.

I'd go PS2, since there's the legacy PS1 games you can run. I bought mine to have all 4 Wipeout, and 3 GT games. Oh, and the Powerpuff Girls game!

11. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Gotta defend the Gamecube, sorry guys. I got one mostly because I was nostalgic for Mario and Zelda, I admit. But I have been more than happy with it. I've tried the PS2 and the XBox in the stores and I just couldn't get over how horrid the controllers were compared to the Gamecube. I admit that a lot of developers aren't putting out many adult-oriented games for the GC but to say that Gamecube's library is full of "kiddy games" is kinda short-sited. Just because a game doesn't have blood and hookers doesn't mean it's a kiddy game.

Still, if realistic games or online games are your thing then you should probably stick with an XBox.

12. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

With the Xbox's higher-end AV connector, I can get S-video and optical digital audio out. That evens out things a bit between Xbox and PS2. Now the question is better graphics vs. more available games.

13. thejazzman10 Guest

who cares if the gamecube games are kiddy :rolleyes: they're fun!!! :D

14. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Graphics are unarguably better on xbox then ps2, no matter what game, end of story. There is a bigger selection of games for ps2 but you shouldn't decide on which one to get based off of amount of games for these 2 systems. True, ps2 does have more games and many are very good, but you can get almost all ps2 games on xbox with better graphics. You can't tell me that there aren't enough xbox games to choose from, that would be a rediculous statement. There are hundreds of great games available for xbox. There are also xbox games only available for xbox. I still highly suggest xbox over ps2.

15. AkiraK macrumors member

I have all three, and find each has their strengths and weaknesses. It all depends on what you're looking for.

XBox--Better graphics, quicker loadtimes are the strengths here, but I find the controller a bit unwieldy. Some of the exclusive titles are worth looking into (still trying to shake my Ninja Gaiden addiction), but the statement that "almost all PS2 games on XBox with better graphics" is ridiculously false. Definitely the console of choice if you're a FPS fan, but, no matter what anyone says, a game pad will never compare to mouse & keyboard. Microsoft's new XNA (?) developer's tools pretty much insure more day and date releases for XBox/PC, with PS2 ports lagging by several months (recent example, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow--but if it's graphics you want, the PC spanks the XBox in every department). XBox Live is developing nicely, assuming you don't mind the subscription fee, but I continue to be surprised at the number of titles that release with online play only available for one system...the PS2.

PS2--Significantly larger library than either of the other consoles, especially if you take into account backwards compatibility. You won't notice the graphical differences on most games without a high-end rig, but PS2 definitely lags XBox in that department. Network play is not as intuitive as XBox Live, but is free and nearly ubiquitous (see final comment on XBox above). Sony's weak (read nonexistent) HD implementation means longer load times (sometimes significantly) and less downloadable content. Of the three systems, I prefer Sony's dual-shock controller to the other two (I have just never adjusted to the XBox button placement and the sheer size of the controller). $149 gets you the system and network adapter (you can score a DVD kit from just about any second-hand store for $20), making it a better financial option than XBox...but still not anywhere near the affordability of the GameCube.

GameCube--The biggest games release on all three, so the denigration of the GameCube as a "kiddie" system isn't entirely accurate. Sure, there are more kid-oriented titles in the GameCube library, but that doesn't mean it lacks for more adult-oriented titles (besides, if the game is fun, who cares about age? Mario Kart Double Dash is a hoot!). The system is easily the most affordable of the lot at $99, but has no (read zip, zero, zilch) online abilities or DVD functionality. More and more games are taking advantage of GameBoy connectivity, which is pretty cool, but requires that you (and several friends, for that matter) own both systems. Controller is more user friendly, but games requiring quick access to multiple buttons can be a bit difficult given the layout.

My preference is for the PS2, simply because the sharper graphics aren't enough to overcome the smaller library and limited XBox Live implementation (especially given the additional fee). Recent announcements at E3 seem to be paving the way for more universal internet play on XBox, but the question of backwards compatibility in the next generation XBox would make me a bit leery of starting a large liibrary anytime soon.

All of that said, when I have the option, I buy games for my Mac first.

16. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I may buy a new display when they are released and get Mac games instead. As I said before, I'm definitely not a hardcore gamer. The last game I "really" remember playing was ALTERED BEAST - for Genesis. This is probably my favorite game of all time!! :D

17. brap macrumors 68000

Haha! Whoa, I remember playing that multiplayer with my cousins. The tigers were awesome :-D
    Sonic/2/3 and Micro Machines were better, though...
    The Mac has a fairly excellent emulation scene (read: bannister.org) - so maybe the new monitor isn't such a bad idea. I hear that some PS2 > USB converters are supported natively under X, too, for a quality console-type controller - though I can't confirm as I haven't got my new PB yet.

18. amols macrumors regular

It all depends upon your playing habits. My favorite games are all hack-n-slash like Onimusha, DMC, Dynasty Warriors, Castlevania, Crimson Sea 2, Champions of Norrath and some stealth action like MGS. I bought Xbox just to play Ninja Gaiden and Pandora Tommorow. FPS makes me sick. So its up to you. Graphics doesn't matter much when the games you play are platform-exclusive. Few games do look better on PS2 than Xbox in same genre like GT4 or MGS2. Same goes for Xbox-Live and PS-Online. I don't know and own GameCube. By the way, you can buy all three in less than 400 $, which is less than any low end PC.

19. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Ok first off don't get a PS2 they're just not up to it, the xbox and gamecube are both better in everything from graphics to controllers (as long as you dont get those stupid big xbox controllers). I always think when buying a console the thing to look for is exclusive titles. Most exclusive titles for PS2 have a very close substitute on the other consoles that can't be said the other way around. So go xbox if you want sports and action games (theres a better selection of games and the controllers are better for these types of games) and gamecube if you want real games :p Nothing comes close to gamecube games in terms of gameplay (apart from vice city and halo maybe heheh). I don't know why so many people think just becaus esomething is creative its for kiddies although the graphics are always overly cute.

But anyway for your tatse definitely get an xbox, just make sure you don't have the controller S and not the big old one. You can even get faster xboxes

20. CAM macrumors newbie

You say you prefer flight games and FPS, so I think the Xbox will be your best choice.

21. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

[it seems that I am the only person who hates sports games :rolleyes: ]

thanks for all the help. I just ordered the full version of UT2K4 for Mac. If that doesn't quench my thirst for a while, I'll get an Xbox. The performance/selection ratio seems to be the best for my needs over PS2.

22. amols macrumors regular

That's nice you've made a choice. Just make sure Xbox titles you intend to buy aren't available for Mac (or PC if you have one) since many FPS on Xbox are out there for PC/Mac. But I still suggest, as Sabbath mensioned, go for the console that has maximum exclusive titles of your kind. I'm sure you won't want to buy Xbox to play Rainbow Six or Halo.

23. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Like a few others here, I have all three systems.

Personally, I would say the xbox seems to fit your needs the best. Right now they are selling a special edition green xbox with halo included for $169.

Once you play Halo, all other FPS will seem "less than". I've played counterstrike, unreal, et cetra. But, I feel halo is hands down the best FPS ever put together.

Caveat: I bought a ps2 for GT3, GT4, and GTAuto San Andreas. With the logitech driving force pro, GT3 is INCREDIBLE!!! The wheel is $150 bucks, but worth every penny.

Get the xbox (and mod it if you can!). You'll definately be happy. I would recommend Full spectrum warrior, jedi academy, halo, simpsons hit and run, fable, halo 2, and the new spiderman game. Good luck :)

24. MacForbes macrumors newbie

Everybody says that Gamecube has only kiddy games. That is so stereotypical! What about resident evil? the James Bond Series, LOTR? and the many other numerous mature games. Just because Nintendo became famous for kiddy games (ie mario games) doesn't mean they only sell kiddy games. That is like saying Apple made it big with the iPod so now their computers are only good for music!

25. AkiraK macrumors member

Not to beat a dead horse, given that he's already made a selection, but I couldn't let this pass. Go XBox for sports games? That's just ludicrous. The selection available for PS2 is staggering, and they're almost all online compatible, something that can't be said for the current XBox lineup (EA did announce at E3 that Madden 2005 and the upcoming NBA Live would be, but the other titles were still in development and were not assured). Even action games are debatable, with the PS2 boasting exclusive titles like Onimusha (which absolutely owns) and Champions of Norrath. I also find the PS2 controller much easier to use with Madden, given the intuitive button placement, but your mileage may vary.

I will clearly concede the better graphics and FPS selection, but the general statement above is just silly.