Xbox games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Oofie, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Oofie macrumors regular

Hey guys, I might get an xbox 360 soon. What first 2 games would you guys recommend? I heard good reviews on COD 2. I want games that will not get boring after a few weeks...as I lose interest if the game is very repetitive.

2. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Call of Duty 2 and Burnout Revenge, excellent replay for burnout with the on line play.

3. coal macrumors regular

coal

Worthy games (with some having a demo on Xbox Live allowing you to try it first.)

From the initial games:
    COD2
    Oblivion
    GRAW (has two demos on Xbox Live.)
    Burnout Revenge (has a demo.)

Newer:
    Table Tennis (has a demo on Xbox Live.)
    Dead Rising (has a demo too.)
    Lego Star Wars II (Seriously it's fun.)
    NHL 07 (a demo; I don't like hockey but I always love the video games about hockey?)

Pre-order:
    Gears of War

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In fact everyone should pre-order Gears of War, regardless if they own a 360 or not - it looks THAT good :D

But seriously, when you get your xbox 360 home, put on live and begin downloading the many many demo's. If your unsure of what game you want, play the demo it will save you $59

Nearly every game has a demo or at least gameplay trailers on live so it will help.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Am I the only person who sees "just another 3rd person shooter" with GoW? Nothing is pulling me in there.

Saints Row
    Dead Rising, they would be my choice.

6. Zimmy macrumors member

Hitman is good if you like them type of games.

and my person fav, Splinter cell - big fan of the series and i cant wait for the 360 version.

ZIm

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep :p Nah whatever rocks your boat I guess. Personally the game I'm looking the most forward to on my Xbox 360 is Viva Pinata

Both excellent choices too.

8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

9. curlysworld macrumors newbie

curlysworld

Well it depends what genre you're into, but would definitely go with Oblivion as long as you don't have any immediate plans, its rather big and addictive and shows off the power of the 360 nicely.

Also Saint's Row is another big game which is a GTA type thing.

I've also just completed Condemned which has been out for a while, looks great and is dead scary.

If you like racing, try PGR3 or the soon to be released Test Drive Unlimited.

====

Further to add, if someone is as rubbish at me as PGR3 / NFSMW then my Xbox Live username is ItsCurly. I love the idea of Xbox live but everyone else is too damn good to make it fun, although Friday nights its full of drunk English people and can be quite amusing.

10. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I can only comment on the games that I've played. Oblivion, GRAW, and DOA4. As others mentioned, previewing demos is the way to go. I'd also check out reviews on Gamespot and IGN.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

COD2, Fight night, Condemned, Gears of war(when it is released) and the ghost recon game

Bless

12. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for the help! I didnt know that you can download and preview games, which is a big plus. I might get GRAW and PGR first. Cant wait to order my 360!

13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

You haven't told us what types of games you like!

Shooters: CoD2, PDZ (I actually liked it), Condemned

Driving: PGR3, TDU

Fighting: DoA4

Sports: NBA 2K6 (2K7 demo is out!), Madden 07 (skip 06!)

Other: Dead Rising, Oblivion

With the Marketplace and the demos, there's really not much excuse for buying a game you hate. Demos have made me purchase games that I thought I had no interest in (Fight Night Round 3). I <3 the Marketplace! :D

14. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, hehe. Well, i enjoy racing games, hence i couldnt trade in my ps2 bec of gt4. I also like games like metal gear solid and the nba live series. I tend to stay away from fps as i didnt have any good experience with the ps2 and FPS games, but then, i havent really tried any fps on the 360. I really like the preview or gears of war! Oh and i dont really like rpg's...

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Dead rising has really been the only game to show off the power that the 360 has. Hundreds of Zombies on the screen at times. It's amazing. Love this game. Especially when you take the time to unlock Megaman's MegaBuster and you go shooting the heads off zombies. Woot!

COD2 is awesome. GRAW's alright, it's the Halo for the 360 with elitist bastards everywhere. PDZ sucked. And I mean sucked. PGR3 sucked. DOA 4 was great, tough, but great. NHL 2K6 was horrible. Meh... we'll see how GOW turns out. The two games I want right now: DOAXVB 2 and Lost Planet.

16. HecubusPro macrumors 6502a

HecubusPro

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is still my GOTY on any platform. There's nothing better on the system right now.

Dead Rising is just rediculously fun. I've never played a game with so many obvious flaws, and still found it to be one of the best games I've played ina long time.

Saints Row is fun if you like the GTA games. Don't expect anything new here. There are some nice refinements from GTA, but definitely not much new. Very fun though.

Call of Duty 2 is a damn good FPS and it looks great.

17. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

Ok..what's PDZ and DOAXVB 2?:D Sorry, still a noob with xbox and xbox 360 games.

18. HecubusPro macrumors 6502a

HecubusPro

Perfect Dark Zero
    and
    Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball 2

19. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys, what's a more realistic game, PGR or Test Drive Unlimited? I like racing games like gt4/gt3, and I heard Forza Motorsport will be great, but that's still a couple of weeks away.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well if you can get PGR3 on secondhand / trade in - TestDrive is only €39.99 so you could always get both.

Personally I'm utter rubbish at driving games (might be why I failed my real driving test 5 times ;) ) :D

But yeah Forza, out late Nov, Early Dec (precluding delays) looks to be the ultimate.

21. KafkaWasRight macrumors newbie

Be sure to set a few dollars aside for some Live Arcade games. Well, at least enough for Geometry Wars.

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Damn straight! Geometry Wars is so frustrating and fun.... However, I caution you against SFII. It really was a pretty bad port. Difficulty is impossible compared to originals...

23. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

OK, once again, what is SFII? Im getting intrigued by these games. Arggh, I cant wait to get my xbox...:mad:

24. KafkaWasRight macrumors newbie

Street Fighter 2. A highly-anticipated port of the arcade classic, but a huge let-down once it was released. I've only played the demo and didn't care for how it controlled at all. There have also been a lot of complains about lag (and downright unplayability) online.
    There have been a few other direct arcade ports. So far Galaga and Robotron have been my favorites, which probably shows my age...

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

SFII = Street Fighter II.