XBOX Gaming (HDTV) on Samsung Question.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rezet, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Hi, I have purchased a Samsung 32" HDTV (Tube) that supports 480p/1080i.
    I have also purcahsed MS HDTV AV pack. Problem that is have is, whenever i start playing a game in 480p mode, when xbox switches it Progressive mode once the game starts, an image appears like doesn't fit on the screen. It seems to be alligned fine by the left side, but right side is doesn't fit about 1" worth of a picture. In other words, it appears as if image is too large for TV and is alligned not in the center but by the left side. I purchased an XBOX about a year and a half ago. I currently don't have an access to LIVE. TV is Samsung TX-P3264.

I have heard about many problems associated with HDTV and xbox. But I'm not quite sure if my problem is caused by the xbox, outdated firmware, tv?

Can you tell me what this problem maybe associated with and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Dimitri

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. Rezet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rezet

4. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Not familiar with Samsung (or Xbox for that matter), but I think most of those digital HD monitors require some adjustment based on the video source, which they should then remember afterwards. These adjustments (on the monitor) should include Vertical and Horizontal size, as well as Vertical and Horizontal offsets. The trick is to do the adjustment while the target video signal is being used (ie. after your game switches to that mode).

Example: My Sony plasma required some tweaking to get the regular (480i) TV channels from my Sony satellite box looking good, and similar tweaking to get the HD programming looking good, but I only had to do it once for each 'mode'. When I hooked up my G4 to the plasma unit, I again had to do some tweaking for the resolution modes I was using on the G4.

5. Rezet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Thanks for the help Ed.

Samsung does not have any size or offset correction menus available. The only thing that seems to be possible to have done is to change tilt. Which in this case is useless.
    I have brought an xbox to to circuit city with HDTV packs and guys were kind enough to help me and hook it up to number of tvs....
    The same problem came up on 2 Samsing TVs we have tested. Both were Tube Based HDTVs. One is a Neo Series 27" ($599) and another is Premium Series 32" ($799). Picture once again did not fit on the screen. Then we went ahead and hooked same xbox to Sony Wega 32" HDTV (tube)($949), and Panasonic 32" HDTV(tube)($720). Neither Sony nor Panasonic had this problem and scaled perfectly. Panasonic however produced a significatly worse picture, especially color-wise. Colors even though relatively bright did not match other tvs well and sharpness seemed worse as well. We had to pump brightness and contrast almost to the top to get a decent picture.
    Sony seemed perfect though...
    I have done some research last night and it does seem like Samsung tvs in general, even though produce picture not worse than the sony, don't really like the xbox. In fact most of the complaints about HDTV xbox came from Samsung TVs owners. I'm going to exchange it to Sony tomorrow.
    Anyways, thanks for the input. Point is clear: Don't get a Samsung TV for gaming with an XBOX. I think this closes the case.

6. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Over at the Bungie.NET forums, people are going insane because of a problem like this in Halo 2.

It only applies to some games (like Halo 2), and some TVs.

Here is the thread:
    http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=1043254

Seems that Samsung isn't the only brand that is having troubles. Then again, Halo 2 is a technical nightmare. It has some serious bugs in it. Lucky for me, none of them affcted me. Except for the Foundation bug. Damn it...

7. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Whats the Foundation bug?
    Getting a Xbox for Christmas as I'm tired of waiting to save enough money to buy a Dual G5. Plus we've just bought a rather sweet Sony lcd tv, which with component inputs and progressive scanning makes dvds look...well...as if I'm watching the films for the first time. Soooo looking forward to playing Colin McRae 2005 in hi-res on it, can only hope the wife buys a properly modded Pal Xbox as I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of getting the files,game and Action replay disc to soft-mod enable its hi-def options. Any real downers to having a UK Pal Xbox without having access to a M$ PC that anyone knows of?

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

i wouldn't blame samsung, actually...the difference between tube HD and a more modern digital-based screen technology is the real culprit. you're getting a sort of screwed up overdraw there.

since the x-box lacks any sort of video adjustment abilities, adn so does the screen, not much you can do. it would be nice if samsung had taken it into account, but the fact is that they do on their DLPs and other newer models...just not on the tube versions, and i think you'll find that is pretty common.

9. Rezet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Well I hope sony works better. I bought the same model i tested in the store that worked fine. Hope it lives up to expectations. :)