xbox (its got something to do with the mac honest, well kind of)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mord, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I have the moral dilemer of geting an xbox there good and all but they are trying to wipe out the compatition first DC then gamecube and PS2 eventualy they will have a monopoly and get lazy and produce crap consoles that will be popular as their will be no compotition
    Sony is thinking they are invincible but all the PS2 owners I know think the PSX is a pile of overpriced crap.

(a small part of me thinks games are pointless wasts of time I try to keep it locked up in a cupbord)

One bye one the yard ganomes steal my sanity.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

how stupid, they dont even make the dreamcast any more. how is microsoft trying to steal the market. its sells as much as the ps2 and the gamecube costs less. its a frickin console, its got more power than the other 2 and has fund games. but since conosles are all about games pick which one you want. if all you play is metal gear solid and final fantasy buy a ps2. if al lyou play is zelda and mario kart get a gamecube. if you play sports games, or want to play halo or splinter cell buy the xbox. moral values, i just think thats dumb , but whatever.

iJon

edit: i forgot, splinter cell is for all systems now. but anyways you get the point, buy one what games you will play.

3. neut macrumors 68000

neut

moral shmoral

its ****ing microcrap.

i just bought a PS2 and love it. GT3, THPS3, and some other sword game. Now all I need is LOTR and reloaded...oh yeah, and GTA-VC!

4. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

How can Xbox be considered a monopoly??? It only has about 25% market share...and only 5% in Japan. HHHMMMM, not too monopolistic to me...

Also, Xbox figures to lose 100 bucks per console sold....they are already waaaay in the red on this....If Xbox live doesn't take off like expected, I would worry more about Playstation 3 (See it here)and M$'s Xbox turning into the Dreamcast....

Xbox is strong, but c'mon.....Monopoly?

5. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Doesn't this whole situation sound extremely similar to one 20 or so years ago? And look where Microsoft is now. And look how they have stopped innovating. Everyone who appreciates videogames should be trembling in fear. Do not buy the Xbox no matter how tempting it is. By a Playstation, or better yet, a gamecube. I personally am the proud owner of every nintendo system ever made, and am a ultra satisfied gamer. Also, look how unpopular Xbox is in Japan, the video game center of the world. That to me says a lot. Xbox may have more games then gamecube, but the few quality games you want wont run (mario, zelda, smash bros, etc) just like a PC runs thousands of apps, but not the few quality ones you want (iMovie, iPhoto, etc) that run perfectly on your Apple. DO NOT CAVE IN. Good luck.

--Waluigi

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

why woudlnt i cave, actually i dont even call it caving. its a good product andi bought it. you talk about the xbox with temptation like satan in the bible. why wouldnt i want to have a powerful console, built in ethernet, hard drive. not only that i can go buy a mod chip and load games up on it and never have to carry around my games. you justify the purchase of an xbox being bad because you cant play zelda and mario, come on. that is a totally pointless remark. thats just as bad as me talking about how games on macs suck becausey you cant play battlefield, jedi academy and more when the mac users im arguing with only play quake 3 and unreal. if the games you want are for xbox why wouldnt you buy it.

iJon

7. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Totally missed my point iJon. Just because you can get a PC running hardware that is superior to that of a mac, would that make you buy the PC? I'm assuming most people here love OS X so much that they will give up a little on the hardware end for a LOT on the software end. Xbox is superior on the hardware end to all the current game consoles. However, that doesn't make the games any better. Nintendo has the best games, save Halo and GTAVC (which can now be played on a PC and mac shortly). It is hypocritical to be an advocate of apple and OS X, then turn around and talk about how fast and better the Xbox?

Also, you have to agree that if everyone bought a Xbox, and it started to dominate the console market, microsoft would stop innovating, just like they did with windows. I can't support a company that will lead to the downfall of innovation in game play.

--Waluigi

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

:rolleyes: its not hypocirtical. yeah i love my macs, but that has nothing to do on what console i hook up to my tv. you say nintendo has the best games, ok prove it. thats right, you cant because its opinion based. now im not saying xbox has better games, but so some people it may, and that is why it stupid to sit here and talk about which console has better games. and about the pc, if all i did was play games i would buy the pc, because it has more games and more top games and the g5 is the only thing thats gonna play games great (according to my standards) with proper coding. but please do not buy an xbox, i know its tempting but its just bad, BAD. also i have a question, should i throw away my intellimouse, i really dont want to see the downfall of the mouse revolution anytime soon, i kind of like it.

iJon

9. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Wow, I'm surprised at your ignorance iJon. Usually you make smart, informed comments on these boards, but here your just not seeing the big picture. If you can't understand my analogy of Xbox's and PC's, then I can't help you.

Unlike you, I'm being serious. The whole mouse comment was not necessary.

Want proof that gamecube is better?

A sample of some of the best Gamecube exclusives:
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Super Smash Brothers Melee
    Metroid Prime
    Super Monkey Balls 2
    Zelda Windwaker
    Zelda Ocarina of Time/Master Quest Bonus Disk
    F-Zero GX
    Resident Evil Zero

Also:
    Better controllers
    Smaller, more attractive case that also weighs nearly 1/3rd of the clunky Xbox
    Overall focus on games, rather then a jack of all trades philosophy that Microsoft has incorporated
    Awesome ports of classic games released periodically
    Innovative game play on a regular basis
    Zero load time
    Small, futuristic game disks
    Choice of colors of consol, and controllers to suit individuals
    Great 1st party wireless controller
    Easy portibility
    Cheaper
    Strong coalition with Capcom, ensuring quality games for years to come

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i liked my mouse comment, brought some humor into this. yes i know your serious about this, i know your a diehard gamecube fan, i mean just look at your member name. and i have a gamecube and i have played all those games, and i didnt like most of them. i have all 3 consoles. i have my gamecube for metal gear solid later this year. i have a ps2 for final fantasy, gta3, and more. then i have my xbox for nfl2k4, splinter cell, halo and so forth. all i am saying is your fighting comments that cant be won either way. they all have good games. people like choices, same reason why people buy pc's or macs. if all i play is halo non stop why would i buy a gamecube. if i play vice city non stop why would i buy an xbox or gamecube. its just stuff like that. i just find it funny that your fighting the xbox like its the essence of all evil and will make the sony and nintendo fall like the roman empire. but ill try to stop posting, i didnt want to hurt your feelings.

iJon

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

alright waluigi ther are a few things you are overlooking. I love my xbox its an excellent machine and so is the gamecube. I have a chipped xbox and that is where i'm going from because mod chipping is easy and useful.

first; xbox games are more adult orientated, i'm sorry even at 18 I don't want to help mario fight pollution or navigate luigi thru a ghost filled mansion, i'd rather lead the third eschelon (splinter cell was originally xbox only :) ). Most games follow this treand...doesn't EA have an exclusive m$ contract or one of the big sports makers...zelda is a good game, but I feel like a kid playing it sometimes. They have two controllersthe original, and the S, the S is a good size and the original is a bit big, but many adults have large hands...small controllers are tough to use ...i hate the PS controllers too small, N64 was the perfect size for me...most adults don't care what color their console is...the xbox is pretty durable and its size allows it to be modified.

With a chipped console, functionality quadruples, I can play my download movies and music on the TV at a natural resolution and I can play my DVDS on the xbox ....saves space because i don't need a seperate DVD player and I could even at the digital audio pack for better audio if i was serious about substituting it. I can save the games ot the 80GB hard drive i added and when i leave i don't have to carry my disc, try carry your ultraportable gamecube plus 20 games...and your memory cards..all my save points and cahracters are on the hard drive, a 10gb drive come standard on even non chipped consoles...thats conveinet. I can rip music to use in games which is actually a eally great feature. XBMP a media player can even read media over my network. Online play is streamlined on a solid backend unlike PS or Gamecub backends.

12. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

13. Waluigi macrumors 6502

You just proved my point. The Gamecube is for games only, thus quality games are sole focus of it, which results in better games. Xbox has so many distractions, that games become a secondary feature. I'm love videogames, not the side show the Xbox brings.

So, if someone thought that Microsoft is the essence of all evil and will make Apple fall like the Holy Roman Empire, would that be funny? It is so ironic that people love the Xbox for the same reason they hate PC's here...

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i like to look at the xbox as getting more for your money, its not secondary features, its extra stuff. its like complaining that your car has power windows, and that your hooptie (not saying you have one) is solely for driving. anyways, i dont hate pc's, i have one and i like it a lot, and although apple is way ahead of microsoft, xp never crashes on me and serves it purpose.

iJon

15. Shi'an macrumors newbie

Well I have played all three boxes and in the end bought a PS2.
    Don't have feelings one way or another for any of them, they are all hunks of plastic as far as I'm concerned :)
    But I made a very informed decision based on what games I was intending to play.
    I would definately call myself a hardcore gamer as I spend over 20 hours a week playing some form of electronic entertainment.

Simple fact is I was after GT3 and GTA Vice City and that made the PS2 the console of choice. After playing games on all three I am assured that I made the correct desicion. I simply would not have enjoyed a XBox or Cube as much.

I think you are failing to see that this all comes with perspective. If you don't agree with someones opinion of which console is best then thats all OK but to try and tell someone their opinion is wrong is not OK.
    It all depends on what you like to play.

Each to their own said the woman as she kissed the cow!

16. kzoonut macrumors member

I added a mod chip to my xbox and now I can do whatever I want with it - as for the Mac connection - I use the Mac to stream media (mpeg, avi, divx, mp3, jpg, etc..) to it...plus, if I ever get a SuperDrive might mean making *archival* copies of games that much easier...

I have to admit for M$ product - with the mod chip, it's great! .. without the mod chip - toss the thing, I'll take my PS2 anyday...

17. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hey, I would like to join the discussion.

I have an xBox. Its a really cool console. I like having the ability to hook it up to my nice system at home (65" HDTV, Bose 5.1 System) and have everything function to its highest capabilities.

I have played my friends GameCube, and I will admit that it is fun, but it gets so boring after the first hour. Every Mario game is the same. Same characters, different objectives. No plot. Not that good of graphics, and kiddie like gameplay!

xBox is cool for people over 12 years old. You get shoot em up games, racing games, sports games, etc.

PS2 is an all around good system. Not the best graphics, but a lot of games.

18. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

There are a lot of reasons to avoid buying an Xbox, but in the end I'm going to buy the best product to suit my needs. For the style of games I want, and the implementation of online connectivity Xbox wins handsdown. I don't think anyone wins by picking a lesser product just becasue it's less morally offensive. That just encourages mediocrity. I would also challenge the suggestion that Microsoft ahieved its current monopoly through innovation. Vote with your credit card, it's up to the competition to do one better. And as far as crushing the competition goes, Nintendo may well be ousted (though I hope not), but I can't see Microsoft defeating Sony anytime soon. So as they fight it out, we get to pick from better and better hardware and software. Lastly, you can't view consoles as you would PCs, a gamer can switch or buy additional platforms much more easily and cheaply than a computer. Isn't this supposed to be about having fun!

19. tkoonce macrumors newbie

Apple needs to make a "i-game" gaming console and blow everyone out of the water! Hee, Hee! It would be cool to have a Mac gaming console though!

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this has nothing whatsoever to do with hardware; the choice for console is driven by the games. if the latest resident evil games, the matrix, zelda, etc etc only came out for xbox, they would dominate the market. the other two would be fringe markets for specialty non-mainstream games. sure they'd still sell, but xbox would be the dominating console by far.

so, is anyone willing to contend that microsoft couldn't/wouldn't try to do just this, offer exclusive contracts loaded with gems... i think they could get most of the big titles if they wanted to.

of course, they could always buy nintendo. sony, not so much...

pnw

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Wow... I can't believe you are trying to prove that your opinion is "right" in regards to something that is completely subjective. And I thought some of the Mac Zealots on this board were insane...

Lethal

EDIT: Anyway... I was planning on getting a gamecube but a few things changed my mind.
    1. Sega Sports isn't producing titles for GC anymore.
    2. Xbox Live.
    3. I really dislike the GC controller for sports and fighting games (especially SC II) which is all I really play on my consoles.

Lethal

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Soul Calibur 2 is sweet and it loosk awesome on my xbox....there is one level where the character is live flames...he looks incredible. The S controller for xbox is probably one of the best controllers i've ever used for a fighting game, the buttosn are the perfect distance for combos, but if you only want one thats easy enough

23. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

hey there was a rumor going around (along w/ the iphone) that apple was comming out w/ one, it was a dual 733 mghz g4 processor w/ 4 firewire ports for controllers, 20 gigs of memory and dvd, cd playback compatibility... w/ itunes, imovie, ect on it... and there was supposed to be some special thing u could do with an ipod.... but i don't think apple would make a game system untill they get at least 35% of the consumers using Apple computers...

24. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

ur right, but the only reason why i'm sticking with the ps2 is because of SquareEnix. i mean they have the coolest games like final fantasy, Kingdom Hearts (the best game i've played so far) and a bit more... and for all the halo freaks out there i have 2 games for ya on the ps2 socom us navy seals and socom us navy seals 2 both are 1st/3rd person shooters but FREE online play and realistic weapons ect.