Xbox live and othe stories

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jasonbot, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Hey guys, I got an Xbox 360 for Xmas and now I have a few questions, mainly about xbox live.

Firstly the setup:

Xbox 360 pro
    4x wireless controllers
    2x play + charge kit
    Gears of War
    Burnout Revenge
    Perfect DArk Zero (really sucks)
    Ghost Recon
    All connected to a standard TV

Questions:

1. How does Xbox live work, the gold vs. silver thing.
    2. How do I buy Gold, pay for it and use it?

3. What are the pro's of having 4 controllers, I received 4 but the only time i've used all of them was playing PDZ's deathmatch. Even burnout's multi player thingy (more than 2) allows for the sharing of one controller and not the use of my 4 controllers.
    4. on that note, is there a really simple way of changing the "primary controller", the one that controls the menus, quickly and effortlessly. eg: I'm playing a game as the "main controller" and wanna leave, my brother wants to play in my place but hell no, he's not touching my controller, what do I do

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

1. Silver allows you to download demos, updates, play MMOs, and stuff like that. Gold allows you to do all that in addition to playing all other types of games online.

2. You can either get it through upgrading your Silver account to a gold through XBL, or through the Xbox website. You use it pretty much the same way you use Silver, with the addition of online play.

3. Why, having three others play with you, of course! Most games that are multiplayer will utilize one controller per person.

4. Not really – to elaborate, say, you have two controllers connected. To make the secondary the primary you would have to disconnect both, then reconnect with the secondary before reconnecting the primary. It's not hard but it's a hassle.

Hope you enjoy the 360!

3. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Thanks for the quick reply. I know the Xbox is currently the runt of the litter in the console war at the moment, and that it's made by THAT company, but it is actually soo much fun. Thanks for the quick reply Mackilroy but I have one more question:

Is it possible to use 3rd party usb wireless adapters with the 360, ones normally made for PC's.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not sure anyone has found a third part one that works.

However you can use a cheap wireless router that can act as a wireless bridge to do the same thing.

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

i would go the 3rd party bridge route as that can be used elsewhere when you need. i have heard of nightmare stories from 3rd party usb adapters

6. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I know how to setup a bridge, sort of, but do I have to make the router connect to another router or do I just leave it straight in bridge and select the network via the xbox? Please tell of the horror stories.