xbox live connected with mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by duncandeath, Apr 7, 2006.

1. duncandeath macrumors member

duncandeath

I'm trying to connect my xbox to live using my G4 powerbook as a router. Im using 10.3.9
    I have my computer connected to the internet wirelessly, i turned on internet sharing and chose airport and ticked the ethernet box. I then connected the ethernet cable from the xbox to my powerbook.
    The xbox says there is a problem with dns settings and i don't know how to put them in manually. Can anyone help.

I know the i have set up the share internet connection right as i tested it on my girlfriends ibook and it was work fine.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Neil

2. iminimac macrumors regular

i would really really love to do this
    could anyone write a simple tutorial of how to do this
    many thanks

also is there anyway to do this with a airport express?

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Use XLink Kai.

It is *designed* to do that, except it's free and does the same thing as XBox Live.

4. duncandeath thread starter macrumors member

duncandeath

I have tried that but you can not play pro evo 5 and there is never anyone on toca 2

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Wow, that's amazing!

You mean I can see that my friends are online and playing exactly what game from within my console at any time?
    I can send and receive messages from them -- including voice -- by pressing a button?
    I can send and receive chat requests from them at any time?
    I can press a button and invite a friend to play GRAW with me?
    I can download movie trailers in 480p/720p for free and play them on my console?
    I can download demos of recently-released games on my console and try them out?
    All my stats and scores for my games are tracked online with leaderboards, including seperate leaderboards for just my friends?

And it does all of this for free? :eek:

Amazing!

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you stopped trying to be sarcastic for a second, you'd notice we were talking about the XBox, not the 360...
    Can the XBox 1 download 720p movie trailers and game demos?

7. msfletch macrumors newbie

I am trying to do this too and I have gotten the wired to show up and the IP to check out but I am getting stuck at the DNS server check: Here is what I have done so far... I made a separate network setting for my Xbox.

Built-in Ethernet:

IP: 192.168.2.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.2.1
    and the my two DNS servers which I found by typing "cat /etc/resolv.conf" without parenthesis into terminal.

Airport:

Using DHCP with DNS servers used above. Like I said it won't get past the DNS server... Any ideas guys? I am so close! Thanks.

8. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I have mine connected up to my G5 just fine.

No offense GFLPraxis but he wants to connect to xbox live. The Kaid network is a whole other thing.

xbox live uses some ports so you need to open these ports in the mac's firewall.

go into system preferences, firewall and make a new entry. Choose Port name 'Other' and Open the following ports:
    tcp: 3074

udp: 3074, 88, 53

enter each port number then a comma then a space - just like i have typed above.

On your xbox connection settings you need to set the ip address as something like 192.168.2.x - where x is a number other than 1. I use 192.168.2.4 as the ip address set in the xbox config. 192.168.2.1 is the address of the router (your mac) or gateway in the xbox config..

so in the xbox network screen it should be this:

configuration: manual
    ip address: 192.168.2.4
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.2.1

as for the dns servers, use the ones for your isp. if you aren't sure what they are, go to your isp's home page and search for them in help etc..

good luck!!

aussie_geek

9. msfletch macrumors newbie

damn, that still wont work. Thanks for the tips but i still cant pass the dns server test. If it helps I am using a wireless network provided by my apartment complex, so I have no access to the base station. It is through comcast and it is cable very high speed connection. I found my dns servers and have entered them correctly but to no avail. Should I change anything due to the circumstances listed?

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

So remove the demos and the movies and XLink Kai can still do the rest of the the list for free?

That's amazing! :eek: