Xbox Live etiquette (newbie)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by whooleytoo, Jun 21, 2007.

1. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I've been using XBL for a while now, but only for downloading updates, demos etc. I've never played multiplayer (even had the Crackdown-Halo3 beta and didn't play it).

But in the last week, I've received 4 friend invite-thingies. Is there a customary response - just click yes? Send a message saying hi? Not sure why the sudden interest. (It might be as I topped the leaderboard in one of the Crackdown road races, but I don't want to gloat.. </oh yes I dooooo!> :p )

Do people actually receive a lot of messages thru XBL? I've been using it for 5 months and haven't received one.

2. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd just reject em. Unless you talked to them in game and enjoyed playing with them. Having a bunch of people you don't know on your Live friends list is like having a bunch of people you don't know on AIM.

3. macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Exactly. I only have 1 person on my Live friends list that isn't actually a friend of mine. I really don't see the need to have aton of people on your list.

4. thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, I already accepted them, but will bear this in mind in future. Do you have to be a 'friend' to send messages to someone?

(..and they were complete strangers, I've never played a multiplayer game so either they were sending random friend requests or saw my username on one of the leaderboards)

5. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Remove them then if you want. It doesn't tell them you've removed them or anything.

6. macrumors 65816

steamboat26

it's better to only accept friend invites from people you
    1) know
    or
    2) have played with and had fun with them

7. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, they only take up space and you might never get to play a game with them again...see them sign in a few times...I do my own spring cleaning.

Bless

8. macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Like its been stated, just reject them. I only accept people who I played with and were actually good at the game. Random ones just get rejected. They just want to be my friend because I am so good at the game. :p