Xbox Live Help

Discussion in 'Games' started by Aperture, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Hey Everyone. Just got a 360' today and am having some trouble with Xbox Live. I have the 360 wired up to my iMac w/ this tutorial. My "NAT" is set at "Moderate". I need to get it to "Open" for all Live communications. I can't setup port forwarding on my Linksys BEFW11S4 (v. 4) router because (see picture) "192.168.1. _ _ _" is already filled in for the IP address. According to the Xbox, it's IP address is "192.168.2.***. How can I setup port forwarding for an IP address that doesn't begin with 192.168.1??

I am desperate to get this working, I've tried everything.

Any help appreciated!!

[​IMG]

2. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Is there a way I could just change the IP of the Xbox itself?? Then I wouldn't have this problem.

3. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

if you figured it out i got mine too!!!! my gamertag is ClydeFrog51

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, you can manually change the 360's IP address. I'm not at my 360 right now, but if you go into the Network Setup, you should see an option for changing the network settings from Automatic to Manual. There you can enter the IP address (which you'll want to be 192.168.1.something), the gateway address (your router's IP address or *possibly* your iMac's IP address), etc.

Try here for some help: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/c...nectionmethods/troubleshootliveconnection.htm

5. freestyleguy128 macrumors regular

Originally Posted by freestyleguy128
    http://www.slightlyremarkable.com/2006/04/xbox-live-via-mac
    This could work right?
    I got my xbox 360 today and connected my macbook pro using the INCLUDED (not crossover) ethernet cable to it to get xbox live. No luck by just changing the network settings on the mac. In order to make this work, follow the directions listed in the "slightly remarkable link" exactly as they say and you will be on xbox live in about 10-15 minutes. I am just telling you guys this because I am sure that a fair amount of people got xbox 360s for the holidays and I am trying to save you the money of buying a wireless router or the overpriced wireless adapter for the 360. Any mac model should work assuming it is recieving wireless internet. Thanks for all of your suggestions and God bless.

6. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yeah, I set it up but what I'm saying is for example in COD 3, when I try to join a game from the multiplayer lobby (NOT a quick match) I get the error "Could Not Connect to All Players". I need to forward the ports on my router to the Xbox. I've talked to Linksys and they helped me a bit but they said the rest would need to be handled by Apple as they aren't trained on Macs.

(Maybe thats why she kept saying "OK, Open up Internet Explorer".

Anyway, if you have any help on this PLEASE take a min. to reply.

Kevin

Edit: Is that not the exact link I posted in the OP? Are you having any problems similar to mine?

7. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Come on guys! Apple says "This is a very complex issue to deal with over Chat, please call support" :rolleyes: Then he said they can't help as it is dealing with a 3rd party product even though the problem is on the iMac. :confused: Anyway, you guys are my LAST hope!!

Please, anyone!

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Er, did you not read my post?

9. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Sorry clayj, I tried it and it is only connecting with the 192.168.2.***. :confused:

Edit: So basically what Im thinking is the 360 Live ports are all being forwarded to my iMac, but then it is a dead end. How can I tell my iMac to forward the incoming ports to the Xbox over ethernet? Is there software I can do this with? I found Lighthouse but it confuses the )%&W$#%) out of me.

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I think you're right...the mac is eating your XBL traffic. I have my 360 attached directly to my router and I didn't need to setup anything special. You shouldn't have to port forward anything because the 360 is a client -- not a server -- and the NAT knows how to handle client traffic implicitly.

More likely this is a firewall issue. I'm not sure exactly why you're trying to do what you're trying to do -- avoiding running a cable from the 360 to the router? Linksys sells a $30 device called a gaming adapter which can bridge your 360 onto the wireless network. It's probably a much easier solution than fixing your mac's setup.

If you want to keep trying, though, I suggest you try turning off the firewall on your iMac and see if that makes a difference.

11. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Never use the firewall on it. :( Thanks for the help though. Reason I think its port forwarding is on Activision.com it says that if you are having the errors I am, it can be caused by port forwarding.