xbox live issues-need net addresses

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by switchedanhappy, Feb 5, 2004.

1. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

far be it from me to expect a microsoft product to work:p. how do I get my gateway (default gateway provided by isp) and if it's necessary, my host name (host or machine name if needed by isp) I'd rather not called optimum online because they are morons. any way to get these in 10.3 on a pm g5? o yeah and the modem is a motorola surfboard.

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

The XBox works off DHCP (at least I've never heard of anyone hard coding their addresses) so you shouldn't need to do it manually.

But, at any rate, open System Preferences, click Network, and then click on Ethernet under the Show menu, if you're connected via ethernet to your modem. Then click TCP/IP; all of the information is there.

3. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

it does work off dhcp, but when i try to use it, it gives me an error and tells me to go manual. and i already went to system prefs and did that, these were the only things i didn't see.

4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

The field labeled Router is the default gateway, and the DHCP Client ID is the hostname if needed.

It sounds to me like the ISP is only allowing one MAC address per connection. This means that if you hook up any other computer besides your PowerMac, it wouldn't work. If you get a cheap router, you can have it spoof the MAC address of your G4 on the WAN side, so both units can be on at the same time.

5. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

actually my powermac is the second compuuter i've used on this modem and service at my house, and thank you for the help i'll see if it works nnow

6. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

k so now i need the dns servers, i entered the numbers in the network settings pane but it still won't work... any ideas?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Pardon me if you've already tried this: Unplug the power cable from modem for a minute or two, hook up Xbox (powered off), plug power back into cable modem (let it completely reboot), and then turn on the Xbox.

Lethal

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

9. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

how do i know which one of those numbers is the primary dns server and which one is the secondary?
    ps thanx for helping me out guys- this is an awesome forum, not all forum-goers would help me this long.