Xbox Live: Need 4 Speed : Carbon DEMO & Totem Ball (live arcade) FREE

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Oct 4, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Both online here in Ireland, so go get them tigers ;) :D

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Egads, not another driving game! I'm still enjoying Test Drive Unlimited! (I recommend it.)

3. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I wonder if the NFS demo'll be like the previous NFS one (ie, all good stuff in the demo, hiding the fact that the rest is awful)

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well it's EA so I'd say yes :D

Weird thing with NFS Most Wanted : The demo had a smoother framerate. The retail game was really choppy like it was dropping frames here and there and it left me feeling physically sick. But maybe that's just the EA effect. ;)

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

are these for console only? or are these for PC as well... i'd like to konw where i can download these... Hmm... (if i can :p )

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Xbox Live Marketplace. I'll change the title to reflect that. :)

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Sweet, I have the camera.

Maybe I am one of the few, but I really liked NFS:MW. I had never played any of the NFS series, this was my first one and I had a great time. I will be downloading this demo when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the heads up.

9. LastLine macrumors 65816

It's a slight tangent but does anyone have any idea why I might not be able to download demos through marketplace on my xbox? Going through a router at the minute not sure if that'd affect it at all - not a big problem just worth an ask in case.

10. PD4Ever macrumors newbie

Totemball was pretty hard to control but I'm gonna give it another chance.

I am a huge NFS fan, but the demo of Carbon was not good. WTF did they do to the drifting. The controls are horrible because they are way too sensitive. Drifting events in NFS Underground 1&2 were awesome. The framerate in the demo was horrible too. I'm gonna try the demo again becuase I didnt have time to play the canyon event, but after my first playthrough I'm thinking I'm gonna have to skip buying Carbon.

When is Forza 2 gonna come out....:(

11. ericsthename macrumors regular

impressions

Well, I downloaded the NFS Carbon demo and here are my impressions:

1- The game is pretty. If you like bright, flashy visuals and eye candy galore, this is a good game to check out. Even on my 27 incher - connected by component however, the animations are smooth, framerates are high and everything seems to be put together quite well.

2- If customization/tuner car scene is your style (or fantasy) then this game has it down to the T. They give you plenty of time to sample this new style of modification where you can "sculpt" your own aftermarket kits. This is neat, but it doesnt really contribute to much gameplay value, other than the fact that you can re-race events having built the same car a million ways - in my opinion that is.

3- Now for the actual racing. This is where my opinion really gets subjective, but I'll say it anyways: I don't like it at all. If you have ever driven an automobile, don't expect this game to satisfy your "need for speed". Unlike test drive, or even PGR3, the driving feel of the game feels mushy. Its as if the cars just drift themselves around the courses - if you mash the thumbsticks in one direction or the other, the car doesnt lose its composure in any way. I don't really hold the whole street racing, obnoxious looking economy car scenario in high regard, so I can't appreciate the game really based on that respect.

I guess EA is trying to innovate the arcade racing genre with little in-game tweaks like being able to "call your crew" in to take out another racer. As an automotive enthusiast, I really wish NFS would put out something to compete with PGR, Forza or even Gran Turismo - yes I know that those games are different in terms of their "arcadiness". It just seems like their releases match the latest fast and the sh***iest - I mean, furious movies, instead of pioneering in the old fashioned sense - bigger and better.

Long Live Need For Speed II SE!

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Here's my impressions.

I prefered the graphics NFS: Most Wanted - even though that game wasnt much cop either. This was a bit ropey.

Framerate still felt WRONG. Cut scenes are very choppy and the racing seems to be stuttery.

It must be an old legacy engine these games are built on because it just doesnt feel right.

When racing it gave me headache and a little motion sickness.
    There is a total over use of motion blur and it looks awful, you can see it's just masking poor environment textures. fugly.

And what is with the sliding sections ? They are just utterly painful to play.

customization seems interesting - if not a little "superfluous" which pretty much should be the subtitle for this racer.

Need For Speed : Carbon
    Superfluous V.2.4

13. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Maybe is it the case with Carbon, but I would have really got in customing my car in NFS:MW and adding new body kits if I knew it increased wind resistance/road grip, stuff like that. All it was good for in that game was to make the cops think it was a different car. It would be sweet with the complete customization in Carbon that changing the shape slighty improves performance and other attributes. Then each persons car would truly be unique and a lot of time would be spent trying to optimize the shape. Seems like a cool feature to me.