Xbox Live Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jovian9, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

So I picked up an Xbox from Onizuka not too long ago, mainly to play Halo 2 against some friends from where I moved from. It's great to be able to play this game online, when Xbox live works. It usually takes 5 minutes to get a game going, even while there are 8 people waiting to play, it stays on #2 of the Rumble Pit Matchmaking....which makes people drop out and causes it to take longer. Probably b/t 33 & 50% of my games end up getting stalled while Xbox live attempts to reconnect. This is really annoying. I have a very fast cable modem connection and never have my Macs downloading large files....so if I'm playing the Xbox gets my entire internet connection to work with.
    Is this a common thing with Xbox live? I see on this forum that everyone loves Xbox live, and I can't blame them.......except for the fact that it takes so long to get games going and the connection hangs up a lot. And I play at all different times of the day and night without much difference (a little faster getting the games started at night). Just curious.

2. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

As if you couldn't tell....I posted this right after Xbox live stalled and it ended a game in which I was doing very well............and I am no good at Halo 2. Thus the rant above.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I've noticed in the last month or so that it seems to take longer to get from number "2" to the start of the game. It used to seem that as soon as it found enough people it would go right to number "4" and then the game would start. Maybe they are doing something with the Live network, could be getting ready for another update to the system, or a lot of people could be online and slow the network. Who knows, it does seem to be slower in certain matchmakings then others.

4. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

2 things to note.

1. No matter how fast your "high speed" connection is, if your using your internet (especially uploading) for others things at the same time as gaming, there's a good chance your choking your gaming connecting.

2. M$ recently updated the dash for Xbox 360 in-order to lock out the use of the Retailer Kiosk disc in-order to run unsigned code. This updated system could have also been applied to XBL, possibly making it run slower.

On a side note, I've been playing on XBL constantly for a little over 2 years now in there very different high speed connections, and have never heard of such a persistent connection issue. But coincidentally, I haven't played XBL in the past two months: ever since my Dual-Core 2.3 showed up. So I can't confirm nor deny your thoughts on the lag in Halo 2 in the matchmaking section.

I'll check it out for myself and let you know how it is in Los Angeles.

5. Moria macrumors regular

Halo 2 matchmaking is going downhill. Less and less people play it. It takes much longer to find games than it used to. A year ago you could just press on Team Slayer and you would get a game virtually instantly. It would be even worse if you're a low level. Try and get some friends who have high levels so you can play with them to level up. A lot of people still play it, but just at high levels so you'll never be matched with them.