Xbox Live with Macbook Open NAT help

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by TimeCrash, Mar 4, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2012
    (I apologize if this isn't very coherent, my previous post got erased as I forgot to sign in so I'm annoyed, it was a awesome post! :eek:)
    Hello there! After many attempts I have been frustrated to high heaven attempting to change my NAT on Xbox Live from Moderate to Open using a ethernet connection to my Macbook. I have the older model 360 without the Wi-Fi. My Router and Modem are too far away for a direct connection and having a cord going throughout the home isn't ideal for the other people living here. I did test the Xbox with a direct connection and it worked with a Open NAT. But It was not my room so I couldn't exactly stay and play.

I have all the correct ports forwarded AND triggered(which I just did at the suggestion of support) as well as UPnP enabled(I also tried using DMZ) on my router. Still no success. I figure the Macbook is the one that needs tampering with. I have downloaded WaterRoof and messed with the NAT settings on that the other day....still nothing. So I cleared the settings and plan on trying again later.

My Xbox settings are as follows:
    IP Address:
    Subnet: (Same as Macbook)
    Gateway: (Same as Macbook, the static IP Address for the Macbook I believe)

DNS settings are my Router's IP addresses.

My Router is a Linksys WRT54G2. My Macbook software is Mac OS X 10.5.8.

I can play with a Moderate NAT, but I cant download any form of content or title updates. The Dashboard really doesn't pop up the way its supposed to at all. I can't even Redeem Codes! (All this would work with a direct connection to the router though, but I really can't do that long term.)
    I tried using the IP address of the ports that I am forwarding but that didn't seem to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
  2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2012
    So, errrr...don't mean to double post but no ideas or suggestions?
  3. macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2010
    Here's a simple guide to resolving the strict/moderate NAT problem for your Apple routers and Xbox Live:

If you want to try the DEFAULT HOST option(this is referred to as putting your Xbox in the DMZ; it puts the Xbox IN FRONT of the router, your internet connection bypasses the router and goes straight to the Xbox). This is the easiest/fastest method:

If you want to try NAT PORT MAPPING PROTOCOL-
    here's the ports you'll need:
    Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)

If you're using the Xbox wireless adapter: