xbox mods

Discussion in 'Community' started by kuyu, Dec 16, 2003.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I ordered my Xecuter last night and got a 120 GB western digital from bestbuy for $70!

I won my xbox free, so I don't care if it breaks, but this new set up will be awesome. I plan to run evox from one bios bank, and Debian linux from the other. With a wireless keyboard and mouse, I've got a new computer for under $300!!!!!!!

I also plan to paint it electric silver and electric blue, replace the green led's with electric blue, and put a neon blue light under the big bulb on top. Of course, I need a clear bulb first.

Has anyone else here done this?
    Is anyone here interested?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

if your willing to do it, it make the xbox really kick ass and a really good buy.

iJon

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Mods are awesome but i'm not sure how u can introduce the wireless kb and mouse, the msot i've seen is usb compatibility. I added the x2lite and run only evox and it works really well. I've just about filled up my 80gb
    maybe i'll delete a few less than impressives and take soem of my mp3's off there. On a similar note i've probably sold about 5 xboxs since i've been down at college from people who bought an xbox just to mod it... or bought a premodded one.

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well I would definitely like to see pics when your finished.

5. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

If you install Debian linux on the other bios bank, you can use a usb keyboard and mouse (at least I think so). The "driver" is built in to linux. However, I don't think they work using evox.

Also, i am going to take digpics of the whole process, and make a GOOD tutorial (hardware and software). There doesn't seem to be a start to finish guide anywhere on the net, so I am going to make one myself. Hopefully it will help someone else do their own modbox.

In all liklihood I will post the whole thing on www.xbox-scene.com.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Re: xbox mods

This was the comment I was responding to. You don't need a kb in evox there would be no point in having one.

I would think you don't need to much money to build a cheap PC to run linux .... I like xbox modding but I also wouldn't never put linux on it simply because it would be annoying to me. Good luck with the mod, I've found start to finish guides but if you look at xbox-scene.com they have tutorial set up by category, so one person might write 3 tutorials for the wohle process because of the style in which they publish. Just know that the biggest hurdle of the mod is getting it physically installed properly and getting it to install the controversial bios. After that its more or less cake, minimum programming knwoldege and a bit of logic to customize evox.

7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

What would make the xBox great

1: AMD procs (not a P3, since AMD have used the same socket for donky's years) in socket A (not soulderdin)
    2: Graphics card not souldered in
    3: A Free RAM slot, or the current RAM not souldered in.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i think that would ruin the xbox. one of the reasons it performs so well over many pc's is that games are designed for specific hardware, not multiple processors and all the ati and nvidia cards out there. just my opinion though.

iJon

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Actually, there is a free RAM slot on the Xbox motherboard. I've read a book one day that dealt with modding the system and it was there, but from what it sounded like, it doesn't recognize any RAM that you may install since when they finalized the specs, they never made it aware of that extra slot. As far as wireless controllers, I've seen a couple for the Xbox out there already, but not sure if they'd work under an OS running on the Xbox.

10. Iggy macrumors regular

My friend's got an xbox that has 17000 nintendo, sega, arcade and other games on it. It can also copy games and dvds. Am I right in saying that if I get a modchip and a massive harddrive in it I can just load the emulators, roms, etc. on to it via ethernet and...hey presto?

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

According to my copy of XBOX: Blow the Lid Off! by Brian Underdahl, Powerbook G5 is correct. In fact, the xBox only recognizes 64MB of RAM, as well as 8GB of Hard Drive space. I don't understand how people can make the xBox see more than the 8GB allowed. How is that done?

Also, about the procesor, sure, you can add a faster one (with an accompanying soap box or three), but then many of your games would play a bit too fast. That might not be a bad idea for outrunning other vehicles, though. :p

12. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

You install the mod chip first, which has a completly different BIOS (basic input output system), which tells the xbox that it can support up to 137 gig's of space. Then perform some old-fashioned "geekery", install the bigger drive, and you're pretty much home free.

13. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

The Proc is a stock PIII 733MHz
    the Graphics card is a Stock GeForce2

All I really want is for the hardware not to be souldered in.

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

its good the hardware is soldered in thats iJon's point, if it was removable or changeable they would need to develop differently

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If it weren't, it wouldn't be a game console, it would be a low end PC box.

16. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

UPDATE:

I put in my Xecuter 2.3 lite+ and a WD 120 HD w/ 8mb cache. I had a friend help me, as he had done 5 other xbox's in the past. All in all the process took about 4 hours.

I presently have 18 games which load unbelievably fast. I'd say it's about 1/3 of the disc load time.

The only apps I have are Px HDD Loader, Multi-region DVD palyer, and Config Magic.

My advice to anyone modding their's, open it first and make sure which version you have, then buy a chip accordingly.

Any other modder's out there have any apps they'd reccommend?

Oh yeah, I'm running evox.

17. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Don't buy XBOX live. My friend has a Xbox and stupid lame ass microsoft will delete your account or do something to your Xbox if they detect a mod chip. Just what I have heard I would look into it before you go out and buy XBOX labia.

18. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

the Xecuter's have an external switch that turns off the modchip. Also, the HD is locked up when the chip is off, so they can't see what I'm doing. The downside is that you can't play burned games on the live service.

19. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

First of all, I re-ogranized my evox menu so it makes more sense to me ... launch menu is at the top ... I also kind of learned the code structure for adding your own folders and stuff ... very stimple. I for instance have a cheap games folder ...

Apps that you need to get .....
    DVD-X2 ~ great region free DVD player and doesn't need that remote
    XBCopy0025 ~ I use this to back my games up from the HD does a nice job
    Xbox Media Player ~ lots of people love this, I don't find a use for it because I have a nice little laptop to stream to the TV if I need to but its very popular and a good thing to check out .. also plays DVDS

I have other apps but those are the three that I use regurarly. One important thing is to update your bios every few months or so, you can do this right in evox by adding the bios to the bios folder on the C partition and then going thru the evox menu, it will allow oyu to play newer backedup games, if a new game doesn't work either you made a bad backup or its the bios ... so keep that in mind.