Xbox Next PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by supergod, Nov 11, 2004.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    I was just reading some net rumours about Microsofts next Xbox console. The big rumour going around is that there will be three versions of the system, released over a year. The first two will be a budget version and a standard HD version, but the last is being called an Xbox PC. According to the rumours it would run Windows XP and serve the functions of a budget PC. My main question: If the next Xbox is going to be using variants on PPC 970s (or 980s: cant remember), than how is it going to run XP? None of the sites reporting on the rumour seem to make any note of this. To this date this seems like an impossible rumour simply because no technology currently exists to make it possible.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Ever heard of a product called Virtual PC?

If they run a version of it inside Windows XP, to serve as their version of classic... it's quite possible.
  3. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    X-Box and rumors don't mix. All will be revealed at E3, so sit tight.

If Microsoft saturates the market with variations of the same console, it can easily blow up in their face and makes this rumor unbelievable at all.
  4. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    Yeah, Virtual PC... well, I think we all no that it doesn't work, at least not now. Maybe in the future it will become a viable option, but if Microsoft released this thing as such that it was only an emulation of a PC, not only would it suck, but it would hurt their rep.

i think what would make the most sense is if they scrapped this "PC" idea and just made an Xbox media center with limited function: MP3s, movies, etc. People aren't going to want to buy this as a PC unless it's unbelievably cheap, plus I can just imagine the kind of fun a bootlegger could have with one of these machines.
  5. Jaz macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Agreed, a rumour that becomes fact usually has some thread running through it. Most Xbox rumours are all over the place.

At the moment the only facts we know are that MS is working on XBox 2 (or whatever name), IBM are supplying the chips (speculation is PPC 970 variant as inital dev kits went out on Dual 2Ghz G5's), ATI are doing the video chip (nvidia are dropped which will make emulation of Xbox 1 tricky due to licensing), and finally the Xbox team took over the coding effort to make Virtual PC function with native graphics performance in an emulated environment.

Everything else is a guess, and E3 is only 6 months away so things will start to become clearer from now till then.
  6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Why would they use a PPC 970/980? It seems they would go with an Athlon64 or some forthcoming Intel chip.
  7. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    yes, it does "seem" that way, but it doesn't stand to reason that they'd use G5s for dev work, though, does it?
  8. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    I seem to remember something about the PC part being to play PC games but no other PC functions. Of course I'm not sure how you can enable one and not the others. It was just a passing rumor and nothing more. I doubt that MS would release multiple versions of their console. It kind of defeats the purpose which is to provide a unified system that works seamlessly with the game. NO guessing whether the game, DVD, or CD will play on the console. Of course MS could do it anyway. IT just seems unlikely.
    Isn't the speculation now that the XBOX2 is coming out in January?
  9. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    They might stick a 2nd processor in there, it's supposedly a small box, but according to the rumor it isn't coming out until Aug 2006. The other versions will be out early next year.

Played with a Nintendo DS at Target last night. This is a very, very nice little gizmo.
  10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    It could run a version of XP for PPC chips. But then the rumor also says it will be able to play Xbox2 and most PC games. So I am guessing it will emulate x86 chips. Unless M$ makes all upcoming PC games (after the Xbox 2 is released) work on Windows XP for PPC as well as x86.
  11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I think that's all bull. Microsoft spent enough time and effort trying to convince everyone that the original Xbox wasn't anything to do with Windows (even though we all knew it ran a version of it :rolleyes: ;) ).

Microsoft has no interest in the PC hardware market. Why would they create a PC console?

The benefits of a console are 1) they're cheap, 2) all are the same so you can be sure you can run any game well, and 3) they're free from the hassles of an operating system or any need for a knowledge of how computers work.

This "Xbox PC" would have none of these benefits. In fact it would simply be a PC with G5 processor. And that would be barmy. If you really want to run XP that much, why not just buy a cheap PC and then save a tenner on each game you buy by having PC games. Nearly all Xbox games come out on PS2 or PC anyway.
  12. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Sounds cool.

Maybe it'll run Mac OS X or Linux PPC?

*stifles laugh*
  13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I can see it now. Halo 3: System Requirements XBox 2.1 (Recommended XBox 2.3)... Halo 4 would require XBox 2.3 and would recommend you putting in a $500 video card. :rolleyes:
  14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    It'll probably be announced at CES to get the jump on nintendo. The original xbox was announced at CES.