Xbox Next technologies good for MAcOS X ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Symtex, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I don't know how many of you followed the console industry but the rumors around xbox next are looking very good for MacOS X users.

Developper kit sent are based on PowerPC G5. Rumors are stating that Xbox next will be populated with Dual / Triple core G5 processor manaufacture by IBM. Numbers are around 2.6 up to 3.6 ghz for each processor.

Do you think that XNA developping tool will have a MacOS X compilor and that we will see a boom in the Mac Gaming industry that can finally turns pc gamers into the Mac world ?

2. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Thats really old news. A while back there was also a blogger who had pictures of G5s being delivered to MS. I forget the exact details and link but this was early 04 at least.

3. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

My question was more related to XNA developping tools being able to port project to MacOS X platform.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

it's vaguely possible, but I'm willing to bet that they've stripped OS X from those machines totally. They weren't interested in the Mac OS part of the box, only the PPC core, as it's the closest thing available to what the next Xbox will have at present (until they get some developer boxes running on the actual machine). Since XNA is going to be for both the console and the PC, it seems like it won't be so heavily reliant on PPC or x86-specific functionality. I guess it is possible that it will lead to a port of the next DX (XNA) to up-to-now incompatible machines (like macs), that will be solely at the discretion of M$.

Apple is putting such heavy stock into OGL that somehow I doubt they're going to want M$ code running at a system level...which is the only way that XNA would play well with OS X...

I think the best we can hope for is that XNA makes the porting of DX-based games less dependent on questionable coding and jury-rigging of features and more of a straight port that can rely on some of the underlying architecture of the PPC instead of suffering through it.

This will actually probably end up helping Virtual PC more than anything else. When XNA is x86 and PPC capable, the graphics card of a host system will be more or less directly accessible to the emulator...we might be able to play games like quake 2 and the original half life or counter strike through VPC at more than 2fps on a dual G5.

All I can say is don't look for a silver bullet here. M$ is developing the platform, and you can bet that it looks more like windows than OS X, even though it's running on PPC hardware.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Supposedly the impact will be on VirtualPC, if anything at all.

And like benpatient said, MS is buying G5s for the hardware, not software.

And seeing a real X-Box (original) development kit myself, they're going to have to make the transfer for developers seamless. The current XDK setup is a PC (a laptop with the one I saw) hooked up to a special X-Box (it has a bigger HD and double the RAM and its white). You program on the PC, compile it, and run it on the X-Box. The code is done using Visual Studio, so developers probably want to see Visual Studio stick around in the next XDK. Also, they probably are using some special file system, because on the XDK, they have a special directory called XBX:\ (similar to your C:\ drive!), so I'll assume it has some special file system. If they want to keep backwards compatibility, that'll also play a factor and something OS X can't provide.

I'm hoping someone in the X-Box's successor development team figures out how to make a decent emulator for Macs. :p I think it could be possible if there was an insider that decided to write up an emulator.

6. RealDeal macrumors member

Current xbox a joke- maybe lesson learnt?

yup bought one, and 5 top-notch games- they all stank, with disk cache errors forever, and worst telepone support- gave it away without regret, and confirmation that MS doesn't know how to engineer any products of good quality.

Xbox 2 G5- hopefully hired quality engineers and developers, and maybe the product will be ok. bottom line MS has many many brand issues to overcome...

7. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hvae one sinch launch and I had no problem with it whatsoever and I think they have pretty decent title. Why the hate ? I think for once Microsoft has made a decent product.

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Xbox

I also bought an Xbox on launch day, and I haven't had any real problems yet aside from guilt over supporting Microsoft. In fact, I've never had a problem with any of my consoles (Master System, Genesis, Playstation, Dreamcast, or Xbox). I personally think that Halo alone made the entire experience worth it, not to mention Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Fable, and Morrowind (a time stealer if ever there was one). Same thing with Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. I think I'm gonna have to buy a PS2 just for the Xenosaga games...

9. benpatient macrumors 68000

Xeem, I think it's pretty funny that you list that 2100+ in your signature alongside the A64.

(I have nothing further to contribute to the topic at hand)

10. RealDeal macrumors member

maybe my example stunk..

Heck, it didn't work with framerate 1ps for a game (Knights of old republic). Spent enough $K with MS on software that fed up by now with the crashes...

Happy now that MS free!

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

PLEASE no!

The exact number is a tri-core 3 GHz PowerPC. It's customized though- it gets a mere 2 calculations per clock cycle. Thats HIDEOUSLY low calcs per clock cycle, far less than an ordinary G5.

EDIT: Ah, you're referring more to XNA than the processors, good.

XNA...doubtful. The XBox 2 is probably just running on a PPC recompiled version of Windows NT.