Xbox Next to use G5s?

Discussion in 'Games' started by iAdam, Feb 2, 2004.

1. iAdam macrumors member

May 4, 2003
    MiddleOfNowhere, Iowa
    I was reading the news on IGN and found this artical about the next Xbox and PS2. Although it is mainly rumors becuase we won't see these systems til next year, it mentions that "XBOX Next" will have three 64-bit processors, and prototype games are being tested on G5's. Wouldn't it be cool if the next Xbox was a Tri-G5 machine?
  2. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    there's another thread about this somewhere on this site. I doubt the next xbox will have three G5's. The price would be $3000+. I wouldn't be suprised to see a single 1.6 Ghz G5 though.

Mac's have always been better for "graphics", so why not build "graphic intensive" game systems out of old mac parts. The G5 xbox will definately quell some of the anti-mac sentiment rampant in the gamer community.

Also, if the system uses a G5, the designers will have to use mac's to write the games. While we wont see many xbox games on macs, we will see thousands of game developers become extremely knowledgeable about mac's and G5's. This in turn will allow more mac games, better mac games, and less pc titles (in the long run, of course).
  3. AkiraK macrumors member

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm not sure this follows. Aside from Xbox exclusives (which are largely directly from Microsoft anyway), most developers will still be aiming for cross-platform releases (to include at least the PS2/3 and the PC), and Uncle Billy will never allow his minions to use Macs to write games, even if they are for his precious Xbox.

More interesting is the decision to nix the internal hard drive, the one thing Xbox got unequivocally right the first time around.
  4. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    HDTV resolutions are over-kill for consoles

It sounds like the next X-Box will be particularly well-suited for HDTVs with its high resolutions. This might sound like an impressive feature to hard-core gamers but I wonder if it is necessary for the mainstream console market. I am guessing here, but most people who own consoles propably play them on standard PAL or NTSC televisions.

Personally I do not think that a high resolution is a priority for a games console. I would say that real-time anti-aliasing is important because as we saw with the first games on the PS2 and the DC, even 640 X 480 can be too much for most televisions. I would also say that a constant frame-rate is important because slow-down is always present in high-end 3D graphics engines.
  5. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Yeah right

There will never be a G5 in the microsoft X-box. I don't care if the chip was made by IBM. Does anyone relize what that would say about Bill Gates. He would never rely on a G5. Sometimes mac fans make up so really stupid ideas.
  6. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    1) Bill has a Mac on his Desk

2) The XBox Next and the Nintendo Game Cube II will both use similar Chips. Most likely G5's modified for different architectures.

3) The "Three Chip" setup for X-Next, will probibily be 1 CPU, 2 GPU setup. Allwing for the extra bandwidth needed for HDTVs and native resolutions.

4) With the X-Next and the GCN2 being IBM/G5 bases, expect higher sales numbers of G5s over the next several years, and more game makers makeing games for X-Box Next, Game Cube, and Mac, instead of X-Box, PS2, PC we see now.

7. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2003
    This is very Suprising

Very Strange that Gates would choose a G5 over the Next Pentium Chip, maybe he knows something about Intels design that we don't. either way i see this as a big slap in the face for Intel and show he has little or no faith in the Future Intel Arctiecture. Looks at Prescott it has a 30 stage pipe line, sure this will allow them so scale the chip over 4 GHZ but at what cost. I think Pentium Technology will be hitting a wall the same way the G4 did in the not so distant future.
  8. Selecter macrumors member

Dec 31, 2003
    West Virginia
    If what is rumored to be from IBM comes to pass then yeah there a damn good chance it will have a IBM PPC chip in it. Intel's "new" P4 looks exactly like the old version, not much there until you ramp the clock speed, and even then a ton of heat.
  9. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    I can sort of understand the G5 thing. Because they always try to make their games not-playable on PC´s, until someone comes up with a hack for it.

By using G5´s, their games will not be playable on PC´s no matter what. And maybe they´re hoping noone in the Mac-community will manage to make such a crack for the Mac? Or maybe they recon the small market-share won´t make any difference if we do crack it.

Am I just plain stupid now?
  10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Never put it past M$ to buy their consumer base...they are doing it with the xBox. They sell a $500 machine for less than $200 right now.

If MS uses an IBM chip would anyone be able to run Linux on it? I think that is the real reason they are using another chip...they have so many people buying xBoxes and turning them in to computers that run Linux (and even reg. windows)
  11. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Whats your source that Bill gates has a mac on his desk?
  12. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yes. You can run Linux on an IBM-chipped Mac, and on an IBM-chipped GameCube, so why not on an IBM-chipped XBox?
  13. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Linux can be run on ANYTHING.
  14. Richter macrumors member

Sep 22, 2003
    FTR, the XB successor has yet gotten an official name