XBOX (not 360) Can XBMC run H264 video files?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by marcel-v, Jun 27, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2006
    The version of XBMC seems to lag in frame rate with videos I have encoded in the H264 format. Is this a software problem or is the XBOX just too slow to process it?

Anyone else have this problem?
  2. macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    The XBOX is too old to play such a "new" codec.

HD stuff does not play nice with XBMC.

and you know,, would always be a better choice to look for answers than here. ;)

some say they are working on a way to encode h.264 to work with XBMC, but the limited hardware makes this quite hard.

i wouldnt hold your breath.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2006
    Ah ok, no problem. At least that puts my mind at rest. Thanks! :)
  4. macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    It worked most of the time with my mp4 (H.264) files but sometimes the audio just lags a little.
  5. macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    Only works if the video is encoded either with a low bitrate, or below 640x480i.

Otherwise, the Xbox just cant keep up.
  6. macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2007
    Yes it can play H264!

Hmm, I don't know why people keep saying the original XBOX can't play H.264 files! Every one of the DVDs that I've ever encoded (yes I own them all, not pirating) has worked flawlessly. I use Handbrake on a Mac (and somtimes Linux) to encode them with H264 in an MP4 container using a target bitrate between 700-1000. I stay pretty close to their original pixel height and width. Usually the files end up being around 700-850 megs. I'm playing them back with the latest XBMC, on a Sony 480i 27" with the standard RCA connector. I'm currently shopping for a high-def TV ;-)

I can only guess that the people who are having problems with playback are trying to encode higher bitrates or play higher resolutions/upconverting using the composite HD cables. I've never tried playing higher than standard definition. My XBOX was also purchased about 2 years or so after they first came out, so I don't know if the earlier versions had lesser hardware in them.

Anyway, all I know, is that H264 works flawlessly for me!