Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Hi guys.

I'm looking for info on the Xbox media remote.

I heard on a YouTube video that it didn't work with the YouTube app. Has that changed with an update maybe?

Does it work also with Plex?

And do you guys know a similar media remote for the PS4 that can work with YouTube and Plex?

Thanks!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll check that now for you ....

XB1 media remote (official) works perfectly fine with youtube. I don't have plex, but there should be no reason it shouldn't.

For PS4 I use my TV remote using simple-link technology and use my TV remote.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensamic

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I'll check that now for you ....

XB1 media remote (official) works perfectly fine with youtube. I don't have plex, but there should be no reason it shouldn't.

For PS4 I use my TV remote using simple-link technology and use my TV remote.

Many thanks MRU!

I read online that in the beginning the remote didn't work with the YouTube app, so I was worried, and couldn't find any info if an update solved this. Seems with Plex it works fine.

Never heard of that simple-link technology. So you can use your TV remote to navigate through the YouTube app in PS4?

Must be something new with the latest TVs I guess?

Thanks again!!

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Many thanks MRU!

I read online that in the beginning the remote didn't work with the YouTube app, so I was worried, and couldn't find any info if an update solved this. Seems with Plex it works fine.

Never heard of that simple-link technology. So you can use your TV remote to navigate through the YouTube app in PS4?

Must be something new with the latest TVs I guess?

Thanks again!!
Yeah it's on my LG 4k. I can use the LG magic remote or even the LG app on my phone to navigate the PS4. Very handy for media browsing and Blu-ray playback.

Reactions: Sensamic

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah it's on my LG 4k. I can use the LG magic remote or even the LG app on my phone to navigate the PS4. Very handy for media browsing and Blu-ray playback.
Nice!

I've been looking for a good 4K TV upgrade from my 1080P 10 year old Sony TV for a long time.

Still waiting for more 4K content to be available and for prices for HDR 10 TVs to go down.

LG and Sony are my bets. LG TVs have HDR 10 and HDR Dolby Vision, which is great, and Sony has Android TV, which would be awesome.

Now that I know that about the magic remote that's another big point in favour of LG.

Reactions: MRU

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I can backup MRU on the YouTube app working great with the official Xbox One media remote. I had even configured my phone (LG G4) to replicate the signals and control the Xbox without the Wi-Fi connection. I do not have the Plex app to test it with, but I imagine it would work alright.

I also have an LG 4k with a magic remote, and the TV can indeed control the PS4, but this is not a LG exclusive technology. Sony has it, as well as many other brands. My wife's Vizio TV can control her Sony Blu-Ray player, although a little clunky sometimes (I blame the Blu-Ray as it's a little dated).

I do appreciate that the LG has two standards for HDR content, but sometimes I wish that I had the Android TV OS so that it had some more capabilities and app selection. However, since we are only using the video streaming apps, there really isn't too much missing in our eyes.

Reactions: Sensamic and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.