Xbox resolution?

Discussion in 'Games' started by G5Unit, Apr 4, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

In another thread I was told to get a converter so I could play xbox on a computer screen. Now I don't want it to look bad(low resolution, flickering) so what resolution are xbox games at? halo 2 for instance

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know what an Xbox outputs at, but a standard TV has 625 horizontal lines of resolution (525 lines in the USA). If I had to guess, it probably outputs at 800x600.

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

sick! so its not bad if your like 5 feet away.

4. andrewfee macrumors 6502

99% of Xbox games support 480p, so they run in 640x480; this is only if you have a US/JP machine though, PAL systems don't support progressive scan. (unless you mod them)

A PAL xbox will only output an interlaced signal, which I believe is just 640x240 scaled to 720x288. (maybe they do run in 720x288; I'm not really sure to be honest)

5. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Yep, you nailed it. The nice thing about a modded xbox is you can patch almost all 480i games into 480p... nice bonus.

To the original poster: x2vga is by far the best vga adapter for the xbox btw.

6. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

what about the ones that say 720i or p on the back? I dont have an xbox thats why im asking these questions.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

In order to get anything higher than 480 lines of resolution, you will need to use the High Definition AV Pack for the Xbox... with the Advanced AV Pack (which has SVideo), you can only get 480 lines. The HD AV Pack will go up to 1080 lines, depending on what the game supports. (The HD AV Pack also gives you widescreen 16:9 support.)

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Standard NTSC TV is 640x480 at 30 FPS I believe.

When you hear the term progressive scan, thats the same thing at 60 FPS...None of the current consoles support HD, so the highest res you should be able to get is 640x480.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

720i is 1280x720 at 30 FPS.
    720p is 1280x720 at 60 FPS.
    1080i is 1920x1080 at 30 FPS.

720p and 1080i are the resolutions considered High-Definition (you'll find them on computer monitors and HDTVs). No current console supports full High-Definition. All the next generation ones will. The best you can get with current consoles is 480p, which is normal TV resolution at 60 FPS.

EDIT:
    So you know, I'm simplifying with 30 and 60 FPS.
    The i's are interlaced, meaning it displays 60 half-frames per second, which in actuality is 30 full frames per second. The p's are progressive, meaning they display 60 full pictures per second, so its a full 60 FPS.

10. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Complete oppisite.

PAL is NOT interlaced by nature (NTSC is).
    PAL runs at 25fps, and has a HIGHER resolution than NTSC.

Basicly, PAL is 25 full frames per second, NTSC is 60 Fields (half a frame) per second.

11. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

for a pretty up-to-date list of games that output Hi-Def see here http://www.hdgames.net/

Having bought a LCD TV last year, bought a Xbox(Pal) than had it chipped the difference on most games is amazing, on a few its incredible. Burnout3 is jaw-dropping theres that much of a difference to interlaced.

12. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Gran Turismo 4 has a setting for 1080i :)

13. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

So I should just wait to buy xbox 2?(xeon) in december? I hope it will be beackwards compatable with xbox 1 games. I dont even have any games or the console.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

So far all reports and all technical data say the XBox 2 will not be backwards compatible. But yeah, all next generation systems will support HD. HOWEVER, even if it was backwards compatible, I suspect the XBox 1 games would be designed for normal TV and wouldn't come out HD :( They don't have the option to go higher.

Very sweet, I'm shocked the little PS2 can handle a resolution that high on a game as detailed as GT4! :eek:
    PS2 never ceases to surprise me, with Burnout 3 running as good as the XBox and RE4 coming now...

15. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

what I mean is that will it be able to play halo 2 on its normal resolution kinda like ps2 plays ps1 games.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, we don't now yet, but all information points to no. The hardware is incapable, MS has said they're not sure if backwards compatability will be possible, and all leaks and rumors say no.

17. andrewfee macrumors 6502

The Xbox doesn't support 720i (infact I've yet to see anything that does) but a few games (about 5-10) do support 720p, which is 1280x720. A couple also support 1080i which is 1920x540 (1920x1080 interlaced)

It just depends how you look at it really. You could say that either it's 640x480 @ 30 fps interlaced, or that it's 640x240, as you're only ever seeing half of the lines at once due to the signal being interlaced.

Either way, Progressive is much better.

lol, I wish! 99% of PAL content is 576i which is 720x288, and a lot of that, if it's from an NTSC source, is 640x240 upscaled. (or if it's ntsc video, rather than games, it's 720x480)

Progressive scan is only just starting to be added to UK/European products, and only on the higher-end TVs. SCART is the most common connection used on equipment here, which I don't think is even capable of transmitting a progressive signal. (it does look good as it's RGB though)

The most common connection for progressive content is component, which is only just being added to equipment these days. (and even then, a lot that have it only use it for a sharper interlaced signal)

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The reason is that 720i is, in fact, not high definition.

NTSC Standard Definition is 480i
    High Definition is 720p or 1080i.

The stuff in between is medium definition (I believe there is a term for it but I can't remember it, anyway, few TV's are designed for the middle definitions).

The XBox 2 will have all games designed for 720p according to developers, and its safe to assume the others will too. In fact, we know the Nintendo Revolution will feature hookups for a computer monitor.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

"Enhanced TV" is, I think, the term you are looking for.

Lethal

20. Uma888 macrumors 6502

i work at an electrical retailer and we had this guy come in with a chipped ps2 with GT4, he wanted to try it out on the plasmas we let him :p whe the manager went home,

we tried it with the Samsung LW32A33WX (this supports HD, DVI, Compenent, Composite and scart)

we used the component, but this tv had a **** responce time (24 ms) GT4 Looked **** on it

we then tried tekken 4 (720p) its looked awesome :cool:

PS: these were japenese games (a combination of buttons need to be held when loading the game, then a menu appears asking whether youd like to use progressive scan (sry dont know what these are))

all in all id love to see xbox games in 1080i, i was talking to an american on XBL, who had his xbox linked up to a 50" HDTV, playing rainbow 6 3, he said the difference between that and using a normal tv was mind blowing, things just looked better

:D

HD all the way :cool:

PSS: hes gunna come back and try it on our Pioneer PDP435FDE which is a waaaaay better tv :eek:

21. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Hmm.. So PAL Xbox games are just scaled up NTSC games.... Crap :cool:

22. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I think its EDTV.

23. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Not true. Standard broadcast PAL is interlaced, just like NTSC is. If PAL were progressive at 25 fps, it would be difficult to watch because the frame rate would be too low and it would look jittery. In the same way that NTSC is 60 fields and 30 fps (actually closer to 29.97 fps), PAL is 50 fields and 25 frames per second. Interlacing is the only way that such low frame rates could be watchable.

Progressive-scan PAL DV camcorders are actually in special demand among filmmakers in the US because the 25 fps rate is very close to film's 24 fps rate. But standard PAL VCR's, cameras, and televisions are interlaced, like NTSC is.

24. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I read up..

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/progscan/progscan.htm

http://hometheater.about.com/od/beforeyoubuy/a/progressivescan.htm

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Granted it's all subjective, but I don't find true 24p video to be jittery at all. I say true because many low-end cameras have a 24p "mode" that isn't real 24p but normal video w/a gimmicky 24p effect applied to it that, IMO, typically looks like crap.

Another thing about PAL that indie filmmakers like is it's higher res (more lines of resolution than NTSC, 625 vs. 525 IIRC). And when you are blowing video up to film you need to save all the resolution you can.

Lethal