Xbox San Andreas

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, Jun 7, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Just wanted to let everyone know this game rocks on the xbox. Way better then the PS2. If your thinking about buying it, I would recommend doing so, there is just so much crap to do in this game it's rediculous. I'v been playing about 8 hours so far and am only about 7-9% done with the main story line, then theres the million other extra things to do. Graphic wise the game blows the PS2 version right out of the water. Some controller setups i'm not too fond of, but it's easy to see past it. If you have any questions post them, i'll try and answer them.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i was thinking about getting this, dont know if its out in england yet though. but its not my kind of game really, gangster stuff isnt really my kinda thing. might get it in a few months though.

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just want to let you know, the game has an INSANE amount of cursing. Just about everyother word is the "F" word. Also, the radio music in the vehicles are all explicit lyrics, no radio edit versions.This game is really unappropriate for young kids.

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

All the xbox versions of GTA have been a lot more like the PC versions than the PS2 ones. I think It's safe to say that the Ps2 really can't compete graphically anymore. A lot of games that I've played on both platforms have had far superior versions on the xbox, and those that didn't were due to lazy and poor conversions.

IMO All the GTA games (barring maybe the original top-down ones) are far too violent for children younger than 16. If any game is gonna give kids ideas, it's one that basically simulates a real-world like environment in which the player's goal is to commit violent crime. I couldn't quite believe my 14 year old cousin had been bought it for christmas by my aunt! - The problem is that people who are old enough to have kids that are 12-15 will likely not have any idea of what this kind of game is really like. If they knew, they'd never buy it for their kids.

From what I've heard GTA SA is even more violent and OTT than the previous versions. Parents just don't seem to get that playing an 18 certificate game will be a lot more violent than watching an 18 movie, for the simple reason that games are more interactive. When playing an 18 game, it is likely the player will controlling a character who is committing gross acts of violence, or at least witnessing them (silent hill etc).

My mum was sickened that I had bought "Brothers in Arms" (I'm 23), I tried to explain, but maybe it is a bit sick to play such a game... to me it was really educational and quite profound - I was thinking "Man, I've died on this section dozens of times, I can't believe that these guys did this for real 60 years ago, what amazing people", but I can see that any "entertainment" I got from this real-life recreation is a bit sick - who do I think I am? What are my values if I am having fun and these things really happened to people? Even every Nazi I kill was a person too...

On topic though, I probably wont be buying GTA SA, as I have so many games unfinished as it is (GTA II and GTA VC to name a couple). To be honest, I don't think I want to buy a game like that.

5. Uma888 macrumors 6502

slightly off topic, anyone know why the got rid of the harey krishnas from the gta games? it was cool running em down all in one go :p

6. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I think you would have to have just emerged from a cave to not know this already.

7. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I already played and beat San Andreas for PS2... is there any real reason to buy it for Xbox other than prettier graphics?

Something really cool they should of worked on, was online play through Xbox Live or something... that would of DEFINATLY sold...

although, I would definatly buy GTA:SA if it came out for Mac...

8. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I already knew the game was going to have a lot of cursing. I was just pointing it out for people thinking about buying it.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

good thing im 19 then :D

but nah, some guy came into a lecture today raving about doing drive-bys, hes not exactly the best person to follow in the world. if its got mindless violence he loves it. gameplay, high quality, anything but violence means nothing to him. so nah. probably wont be getting this.

10. brap macrumors 68000

Getting the PC version. Can't wait; loved all 4 previous installments.

GTA brings out your Mr. Hyde in the best possible scenario; safely sat at home, drinking a cuppa' tea.

11. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol, same here.

12. brap macrumors 68000

Well, I got it. Runs like ass. And I've just upgraded my 'box...

Something isn't quite right. Looks like it'd be a fun game, though :(

13. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the graphics look pretty decent on the xbox, probably the best out of all the GTA games. I was actually kinda impressed with the job Rockstar did with the port over to xbox.

14. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Retail version runs odd?
    Or you mean a 'backup' version. If so it could be a pre gold master.
    Just a thought.

15. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mabey his PC isn't up to par to run the game the way it is intended.

16. brap macrumors 68000

My PC is waaay beyond minimum spec ;)

It's a retail. Seems to have issues starting every once in a while -- game needs shutting down, restarting. It's totally random - but 3/10 times I get a slideshow. Graphics surpass Vice City by so far, it's unbelievable...

17. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Oh its PC, I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the Xbox version.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read this. This game has muggings, shootings, car-jackings; people being killed with baseball bats, chainsaws, and flame throwers and yet THIS is what makes it unsuitable for young kids???

19. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

sweet! i have been waiting for the xbox port for a while.
    i got so into the mac/intel thing i totally forgot about it.
    just finished my finals and i am free for the summer, maybe
    this will be my gift to myself for the beginning of my summer
    break.

20. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Go for it, it's a lot of fun. So much to do. Try not to let it take over your life, thats what happened to me my first 2 days with it. But now i only play 2 hours a day max.

21. wbrowne1 macrumors member

For the xbox...

Is the draw distance improved over the PS2 version?
    And how about the erratic/unnaturaly twitchy freeway traffic?

These were my only two big complaints about the PS2 version...

22. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Just got the PC version and it is such a massive game. The graphics are a lot better than the PS2 and even the Xbox version (but that's mainly because I can run it at a high res with AA/AF).

I am looking forward to the mods that always come along. You never know, maybe this time next year, I will be playing it on my new Intel PowerBook, under WINE or something. :)

23. gco212 macrumors 6502

A lot of people have been having trouble with the PC version because of the graphics card. If you're using an ATI X800(or any of the x's, really), you should go back to either the previous drivers, or the one's that came with your graphics card. If you're using a Radeon 9x00, don't use the catalyst drivers at all, use the omega one's (I think that was there name). Supposedly, it's been glitching like crazy because of the drivers.

24. brap macrumors 68000

Argh!

...hoping at least this thread would stay away from the 'I' word... it's all getting a bit much!

edit: Gco212, I'm actually using a 6600, so that ain't it ;) It's not a huge problem; just caught me out first time I started. Turned it down to 800*600*16 to get a playable framerate! It's so pretty at 1152*864, with 3xAA, though ;)

25. gco212 macrumors 6502

Hmmm, no idea what's wrong then. Your machine should play it easily, that's weird.