Xbox takes thrashing in Japan

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. iGav macrumors G3

heh heh... made me giggle too whan I read it at the weekend on news.bbc.co.uk........:p

If I had time to play games I wouldn't mind a PS2,........ are they really that much worse than the X-Box though???

Some of the reviews I've read about the X-Box make the PS2 sound like an an Atari in comparison......:p

3. oldMac macrumors 6502a

It's the Games...

It's all in the games...

I suspect that Microsoft doesn't quite have the pulse of the Japanese market.

Here in the US, the XBox is selling to PC zealots with titles that are similar to PC titles. I suspect that the Japanese and European game markets don't quite align with Microsoft's marketing.

Don't count them out yet, though. Give them some time to learn how to market over there.

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: It's the Games...

That might just happen. They're not exactly some new upstart company with one product to hang all they're hopes on. They could dump tons of money into the project and see it all turn around.

Its just nice seeing them struggle.

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Re: It's the Games...

Agreed. Nothing I enjoy more than seeing the Enemy in trouble.

Makes my day.

Matthew

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

X-box --> oh yippie, what a load of hooie. It's a stripped down computer designed to do nothing but games, and not even do those all that well b/c it is, after all, a microsoft product.

I wouldn't worry too much about the xbox. It's games aren't all that, and when the PS3 comes out with its improved hardware and backwards compatibility with all the existing great ps1 and ps2 games, the xbox will go the same way as the dreamcast.

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yep it is all in the games. this is why the game cube is better than all the rest in my book because of CREATIVE games.

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

No offense, but the gamecute's games are, for the most part, designed for people half my age, actually younger. The most innovative games for the gamecute are actually games that were ported from the ps2.

The most adult, innovative, interesting games are either on PC's (yuck), macs, or ps2's. I don't want to play mariogolf or mariothis or mariothat anymore, I'm grown up. Can you imagine mario-grand-theft-auto? People running around with big heads, big eyes and guns?

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey krossfyter, I know this is off topic, but I'm moving down to your neck of the woods (sort of).

I'm moving to Texas this fall!

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think that when Playstation 3 comes out I will switch from Nintendo 64.

Who knows? Maybe PS3 will be enclosed in Titanium!

And I still am playing some great games on Nintendo 64, mostly sports games.

As for Xbox, well, . . . PS3 will be faster and better have extended burned CD-R and -RW disk support.

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations more than a consumer PC.

11. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

She-ya.

Just because a game doesn't have blood, gore, criminal act, killing and a dearth of morals doesn't mean that it isn't suitable for adults. A game having a cool concept doesn't make the game innovative. I've seen Grand Theft Auto, I wouldn't really say it was more innovative than, say, any of the Zelda games.

I love Nintendos games: they aren't bloody, they aren't "kill-oriented" but they are hugely fun games to play. The Mario-this and Mario-that concept is pretty a bit overkill, but there really aren't that many. And some are true video game classics. Super Mario World (all of them), Mario Kart (sweet).

And how about Bond? It won awards something like 3 to 4 years in a row. I played that game till my thumbs wouldn't work.

Not innovative my butt.

I'm thinking about getting a Game cube just to play the new Zelda game. The just rock so damn much...

Matthew

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Nintendos games are definitly more family oriented. That does not mean they just make games for kids. THATS A MYTH. Those games that people say are kiddy actual have good game play for adults...they just arent violent as much. Nintendos games are the most creative games out there....thats why they still are the number 1 console gaming company in the world. PS and XBOX games as a whole are not as creative as nintendos as a whole. The artists live behind the nintendo console....the male, jock...Chauvinists are behind the xbox and ps.

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Cool. What part??

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Houston. I'm looking forward to moving down. I just hope my northern tendencies don't get me into to much trouble.

Especially with concealed carry laws.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

16. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

it seems M$ is having to resort to desperate measures to try and up the sales of their xbox. Kebab wrappers?

17. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

hey microsoft... i have something important to say to you about your attempts to monopolize other industries:

hahahahahhahahahahahhahaha!!!

i guess they can only get lucky once!

:D

18. lordsinforge macrumors member

<quote>
    Around 7,000 Xbox consoles were sold in Britain last week.

</quote>

and how many iMacs is Apple shipping der DAY??

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

1. PC zealots are definetly *not* buying X-boxes, or GCs, or PS2's. They are firmly defending the superiority of PC gaming over console gameing.

2. PC zealots dislike Gates much more than Mac zealots.

3. Isn't it sad that people are talking PS3 when the PS2 has been out, what, less than 2yrs? I'm still amazed that the Dreamcast (ya know, the discontinued one) is *still* the only console w/working internet support.

4. For the "bang for you buck" factor you can't beat a Dreamcast! :D

Lethal

20. coeus macrumors member

XBOX...please...lets not talk about this.
    I will explode and say stuff I dont mean...

Like the XBOX is for a bunch losers who love scaled/stripped computers. Intel chips...oh no...im exploding...

no! I will control my self!

Nintendo make awsome games. Remember the SuperNes? Now that kicked everything. And in some ways it beats the PS1. Why? Coz it was fun, I play Donkey Kong Country to this very day and im 16. Super Mario World, what can I say? FUN! Super Metroid...now we can all apreciate that game!

what was 1 single reason we all started play video games? because it was fun. the PS1 and 2 have kinda lost that value. Nintendo havent. they enforce it.

The XBOX...well, money making venture!

Have you ever wondered how fun it would be throwing golf balls at bill gates? can imagine how fun that be!

21. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

all the real japanese gamers here are still crazy about PS2, and I must admit, the games they have for PS2 here are just AWESOME... Metal Gear Solid 2 is one of them... Biohazard (resident evil)...

and, gamecube is well, practically all kids... but.... they just made biohazard (resident evil) fro Gamecube... so it looks like Nintendo is finally entering teh adult gaming market...

and... the Xbox.. well, the stores are making a huge fuss about it... but thats all... the stores are full of left-over xboxes from the last orders... :D

irmongoose

22. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Xbox co-founder resigns

More bad news for Xbox.
    "After reining in sales forecasts and cutting prices on its Xbox video game system last week, Microsoft Corp. said Monday that the co-founder of the Xbox, Seamus Blackley, has resigned."

http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/22/technology/xbox/index.htm

23. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Re: Xbox co-founder resigns

isn't that a pity
    maybe they should make keyboards an mice and give up on windows as well

They shouldn't run a monoply

24. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is unfortunate for one reason I can think of.

Microsoft bought Bungie a year or so ago. They were one of the best Mac Game developers around - Marathon series, MythI & II, Oni. I had so been looking forward to Halo for the Mac, but when MS bought it out, the game was immediately ported to the XBox. I hope that the sales don't fall off completely that they kill the XBox before getting a port of Halo out for PCs and Macs.:(