Xbox

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tommyg117, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Uh oh, I think Microsoft should have launched only in the US and then gone to Japan.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/675/675386p1.html

I think a lot of America's fans (i.e. Microsoft's biggest market) are not going to buy a 360 because they are fed up with the lack of systems. I am going to get one, but I really wish that they had waited.

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I know what you mean but I don't think they had much choice.

Japan is a colossal market for video games. Microsoft desparatly want to have their share of the Japanese market. It didn't work with the first XBox. Launching it late (after the PS3?) would have dug an early grave for the 360's share of the Japanese game consoles market for this generation.

That being said, I don't think that Microsoft understood why the original XBox failed in Japan.

3. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I totally agree. I think they should have made some more games to cater to the japanese audience, or at least waited til dead or alive 4, (the third was HUGE there) was done before they launched.

4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Yes.

And released in Japan only once they had truly interesting games, other than just improved graphics. Our gaming industry is so testosterone focused that it's all about HARDWARE! HARDWARE! HARDWARE!

The Japanese are more concerned with the software.

XBox has the biggest wiener, but doesn't know how to screw. Great for the locker room show with your buddies, who are all impressed, but there's no brain in that console... ;)

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is no surprise. Its a bit embarassing to look at too, they tried so hard to get the 360 big in Japan (hah! w00t) but it all failed.

The 360 is pushing sim-style games where games themselves are more popular over there. like WarioWare. massively successful. Why is there no WarioWare styled silly game on the 360? no really, why?

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Also of note. I don't think the XBox ever had a single "eastern" styled RPG. Western and Eastern bred RPGs don't "taste" the same. ^_^

They tried to fix that by porting FFXI to the 360 but I think this is more a publicity stunt than a demonstration of real commitment. They simply wanted to say "See! we've got Final Fantasy on board" to their japanese audience. FFXI is yearS old in Japan and last time I checked it's popularity was falling. (Not sure how it fares in Japan)

I'm not sure why owners of popular Japanese game franchise don't want to develop for the Xbox. Maybe that's because the huge classic franchise often stick to 1 console (and it's successors).