xbox2 ps3 backwards compatability?

Discussion in 'Games' started by howard, Sep 6, 2004.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

I'm not sure if any of you will know this or if the companies making this products even know it yet, but what are the chances of these systems being backwards compatible with the current systems? I know ps2 can play ps 1 games. do think think ps3 and xbox2 will be able to play ps 2/ xbox1 games respectively?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i haven't read about the ps3, but my game obsessed friend said last time he read the xbox2 will not be backwards compatible. how much truth is behind that is beyond me. I really don't care cause i have all the systems anyways.

iJon

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The companies making these products do NOT know yet. They want these consoles to be backwards compatible, but they don't know if it will be possible or not. These consoles are expected to use Blu-Ray discs, and current blu-ray players can not read DVDs or CDs. Whether or not these consoles are backwards compatible depends on how far the blu-ray technology comes between now and then.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

FWIW, most rumors say that xbox 2 won't be backwards compatible. MS is supposedly using a PPC chip in the xbox 2, and they used an x86 chip in the xbox 1. I don't know what it would take to emulate the x86 architecture on a PPC chip.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

This is very true. I was aware that there are a lot of rumors that Xbox 2 wont be backwards compatible but this reasoning hadn't occurred to me.

More on the subject of my last post though, Sony has publicly said that they would like PS3 to be backwards compatible but do not yet know if it will be.

6. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

this is probably one of the stupidest things i have ever heard...sorry no offense, but yeah, sony isnt going to make backwards compatability with ms, i mean seriously, do you really think thats possible? if so , there wouldnt be any competition and why would they make backwards compatability with each system? wouldnt it be better just to make a system that plays both games? sorry but i just find that kinda stupid...

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Maybe "you" should read a little bit better. We all obviously knew he was talking about the game systems and their previous versions, not inter-working with other systems.

iJon

8. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

I don't know, but perhaps this was one of the motivating factors into buying virtual PC? add support for just 1 model of graphics card shouldn't be too hard, if they program it right, i is possible. I believe a tri-core G5 at 3 GHz could easily do a 733 Pentium 3. same goes with the PS2 being only 350 MHz or so. I wonder if nintendo's console will also be backwards compatible (if they even make one) should be easiest for them.. they already are on a PPC platform.

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Get a dictionary and look up the word "repectively". Perhaps, it won't seem stupid after that, unless you really cannot comprehend it. In that case... :rolleyes:

10. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

the diagrams etc. that said it was a tri-core 3.5 ghz machine were confirmed wrong some people claimed the specs were close to what those where but it wont be tri-core ibm has no plans to release a tri-core machine even close to this things time frame it is suppose to have the ppc970 mp its a dual core processor it would make sense cause supposedly apple was getting these made shipped and that in august and will use them in early to mid 2005 in machines so ms getting them and using them for the xbox2 and having it ready in late 2005 as planned is feasible

11. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

well still, whatever is inside it should be more than enough than whats needed.

12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

just to throw in some information:

GameSpy.com has an article that covers everything that is known about the Xbox 2 at this link.

I really like what they say here on pg 2

13. James L macrumors 6502a

Original question seemed clear enough to me.

14. cubist macrumors 68020

One article I read said that Microsoft did research which showed that backwards compatibility was a factor in fewer than 10% of the purchase decisions of game consoles.

Historically, backward compatibility has never been available. The Atari 5200 did not play 2600 games. The 7800 did (but who bought one?). The Nintendo 64 did not play the previous model's games, and the Game Cube does not play Nintendo 64 games.

The sole modern example is the Playstation 2 playing Playstation games. In our case, we bought the PS2 because it would play our existing PS games; we would not have bought it if it didn't. While I'd agree that fewer than 10% of PS2 buyers bought machines because of their existing game library, I still think it's a mistake to dismiss that as insignificant.

15. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

You're forgetting about every game boy ever made. I consider those quite modern. Even the upcoming Nintendo DS will be able to play stuff as early as Super Mario Land and Tetris.

16. G-Prime macrumors member

Actually the Nintendo DS will only be able to Gameboy Advance games not the older Nintendo Gameboy and Gameboy Color games.

17. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Hm.. never heard that. Got a link?