xbox360 arrives tomorrow - essential downloads, XBL name?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Piarco, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

So I've managed to get hold of a premium pack xbox360, and I've got PDZ and COD2 to play on it initially, as well as Halo 2 (due to the increased res on the 360 version) and Battlestar Galactica (because I get to fly a Viper!!!). PGR3, the wireless network adapter and an extra controller are for next months shopping list (as well as a 13.3" PowerBook hopefully!!).

So after getting set up, are there any essential downloads? Demo's or otherwise. Anything to show off the 360 in all of its glory....

And onto my XBL name. I always end up regretting my name choices for some reason, and both that I use in forums are fairly easily explained: Piarco75 (Piarco is the airport in Trinidad and I'm half Trini, and 75 year of birth) and Seether1 (Seether was the bad guy in one of my all-time favourite games: Wing Commander IV, and 1.... well seether was already taken!!). So I need some advice... how did you choose your XBL name? And any suggestions?

:edit: Are there any games that the MR members get together and play on yet?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They're starting to take pre-orders for it now. $499 with a trade-in of a PS2/XBox console AND 7 PS2/XBox games. Don't know if that's the top of the line one or the regular one.

When the PS2 came out here it was $699. Went down to $399 within 6 weeks and you can get one now for about $249 with a game and another controller.

Not going to get one though, I don't own a gaming console and my TV is only 34cm.

3. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Um, Chundles, you may want to stop emulating your 'tar and lay off the sauce! I'm thinking you're response was destined for another thread - about PS3's?:D
    I had to re-read my thread to see if I wasn't going mad!!

4. brokinbyrd macrumors newbie

brokinbyrd

Hello, Call of Duty 2 is beautiful, I'm not fond of Perfect Dark Zero(gameplay wise, graphically it's on par with CoD2. If you plan on hooking up your ipod head over to the xbox live marketplace, and get the optional ipod support, also you can download the demos for Condemned, which is freaky, Fight Night round 3, which i'll consider buying when it's released, and Quake IV, which i found boring. Oh btw these demos possible could only be for American NTSC consoles, but you might see them soon.

xbox live name is brokinbyrd send me a message once you get yours

Jared

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

biblical names are always cool, even though i'm a complete atheist, mine is modeci mecator,

6. Symtex macrumors 6502a

CoD2 and DOA4 are good choices. Of course don't forget Geometry Wars : Evolved. you'll thank me later.

7. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Cheers Jared, didn't know iPod support was optional, would have spent some time thinking something was wrong if you hadn't mentioned that! I'll cehck out the demos for sure.
    I've bought PDZ purely for online play as one of my friends managed to get himself a 360 on release (thanks to a friend of his who is a manager of a Virgin Music Store!!) but I hoping COD2 gets its lag issues sorted out soon as well as upping the multiplayer limit so I can switch him to that.

Hector - not a bad idea on the latin! My family motto is "aude sapere" (Dare to Know) so I could use that.....

8. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Like Jared said, get the iPod download (it's free). Also, you'll get Hexic HD for free which is a fun little game.

Geometry Wars Evolved is a good purchase as well. if you like pool, Bankshot Billards is nice too. The beautiful thing about the Live Marketplace is that you can download demos of ALL the Live Arcade games and play them to make sure you like them. So do so...you'll probably find a few that you'll want to unlock and purchase.

Oh, and without a doubt, check out the demo section. You can download demos of Fight Night Round Three, Kameo, Quake 4, NBA Live 06, Madden, and many more! Even if you don't buy the games, the demos are fun to play with until your game library grows!

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Oh, can you let me know how BSG is? I could never find that in stores and its on my Gamefly rental list. I wanna fly a Viper too! :D

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Symtex is right, COD 2 and DOA 4 are the best on the console right now. PDZ is NOT as graphically impressive as COD 2. No way in hell. PDZ is more... toyish? *prepares for flailing Nintendo fanboys* Yeah, it looks like it belongs on the Gamecube.

Geometry Wars Evolved is, like others have said, another must have,

11. brokinbyrd macrumors newbie

brokinbyrd

I know what you mean I did spend too much time trying to get the ipod to work. I ended up going to xbox support online and fixed that problem straight away. Yea Perfect Dark is a shame, so good on the N64, not so good on the 360, to think how much money spent on buying that studio. Spot on with geometry wars, holy cow thats a fantastic little diversion from gaming. I'm addicted to those acheivments, too.

Jared

PS best ipod use yet, turn down PDZ's cheesy rock, for something you would rather listen to.

12. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I think PDZ is a fun game.... great to play with a friend.

13. cvalda macrumors member

You MUST download Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved. It's only 400 Marketplace Points (around $5), and you will love it to death if you like the old school shooter games. It's similar in style to Smash TV or Robotron 2049 (both of which are downloadable as well), but it's more fun. Also, if you're interested in Kameo, do NOT download the demo as it will destroy your interest in it. The demo is completely different from the actual game, which is a ton more fun.

If you'd like to play PGR3 online sometime, send me an invite: Hjortur.

14. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Its supposed to be quite tough, but as far as I can see thats a bonus - nice to have a game with legs! The fact that I can fly a Viper, with all of the original series sound effects is enough to mitigate most failings of the game :)
    Plus you play a young Adama (sort of a tie-in between the new series and the old) and get to play with some advanced Vipers too....

I downloaded the WMV's on Team Xbox for COD2 and was impressed beyond my initial (and fairly high) expectations, can't wait for it to arrive! Which according to Play.com is 3-5 days:mad:
    Mind you my xbox isn't due until tomorrow now. Ah well, methinks a certain keynote will be holding my attention today!

Geometry Wars seems to have glowing reviews from everybody - so it'll be an instan purchase as soon as I'm up and running :D

:EDIT: Don. M, you should check out the video on the xbox homepage for Battlestar Galactica. Not exactly great resolution, but gives a hint of the game...

15. satans_banjo macrumors regular

the only game i bought with the console when i got it is Need For Speed: Most Wanted. that's a good game - if anyone wants to play that or halo 2 then add me - Satans Banjo

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

COD2 & PD Zero are both excellent online...

CoD2 has some lag issues in multiplayer, but they are ironing them out for a patch soon.

FightNight Demo rocks, just to show off to your mates..

If you like old fasioned N64 Rare games, then Kameo is great.. If they leave you cold then this will do the same..

King Kong waste of money

Need 4 Speed a bit choppy

Project Gotham great but I find it difficult (I alway have done since MSR)

Condemned Excellent, a true launch classic, but no multiplayer.. That is somthing they have to address in a no doubt sequel..

Quake 4 - ok not as good as some reviews, not as bad as others.. Online it sucks, you can wait ages in a lobby and never get a game, and when you do its a big dissapointment.

Geometry Wars Evolved : Great - nuff said

Zuma - same game as 'tumblebugs' for the mac really. It's ok

Outpost : Kalaki (or whatever it's called) average game, a fairly samey strategy title

Gauntlet : thought it was rubbish.

--------- Enjoy ----------- :D

17. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

COD2 is essential, and they are patching it for better online play. As far as your Gamer Tag goes, just don't place a bunch of XX's around something. Just try to be somewhat original. I guess I'm just tired of seeing xxGamerXX or xxHeadshotxx. Oh and get the fight night demo.....great stuff.

My gamertag

Disco Batman

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Dead or Alive 4 = PWN.

I've played it at a friends, my god it was fun as hell. XD

Gonna buy a XBox 360 and that game with my tax refund for sure.

19. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Cheers for the replies/suggestions folks... the 360 is out for delivery, COD2 may well be waiting for me on the at home, and I feeling the need to take a half day off from work :D
    I've narrowed the garmertag down to a couple of ideas, mainly based on my often used PC gaming name... just need to see if they have already been used or not...

UPDATE: PDZ and COD2 both arrived today.... and the 360 has arrived in the post room! I'm on my way to pick it up now!!!!