xbox360 controller on Mac / OSX?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dr_Maybe, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Has anyone used an xbox 360 controller on a mac? It should work, since it's USB, right?

I'm considering getting one to play emulated (and non emulated) games my mac.

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Emulated Xbox 360 games on a Mac? That would be cool if the controller worked though.

3. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Nah, I don't think my single-core pbook could emulate the 3-core xbox 360 ;)

Rather older stuff such as MacMAME (pacman, 1943), NES, SNES, nintendo64, SEGA and so on. Maybe playstation 1.

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I know someone at school has a PC and he uses his wired controller to play NES, SNES, etc. I don't have a wired controller to try it out but I think it would be great if it did work. I know you could buy a USB adapter for the original XBOX and you could play games with the controller on OS X so I don't see any reason why it would work now that they already have a USB connection.

5. cvalda macrumors member

I don't believe it works at the moment. To play on your PC, you need to download a driver (or buy the controller that is specifically FOR the PC (but still plays on 360s!) which comes WITH the driver disc) for it to function, and I don't think they have released the driver for Macs. I might have read on IGN that they will eventually release drivers for Macs, but I might just be imagining that.

6. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on the forums, but there is now a driver for the 360 controller on a Mac

Its works great in Halo Demo (i dont have the full version) and has some support for force feedback (but only in the Pref pane as a test)

Here the link i found: http://mice-software.com/other/xbox.html

Bye

7. silverback66 macrumors regular

8. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Dammit! I just bought a RumblePad 2... might have to bring it back now...

9. Macintosh2 macrumors newbie

WOW, this works great. i have an extra wired 360 controller, been trying to get it to work with my mac for weeks. Thank you to whoever posted this, its nice to play nes, snes, and genesis games with my 360 controller.

10. silverback66 macrumors regular

It'll still be a few months before I buy a 360 and I was hoping to have all wireless controllers, but I'm very tempted to pick a wired one up right now.

11. Macintosh2 macrumors newbie

yeah the 360 controller is by far the best controller i have ever used. The 360 is the best system out there, great system.

12. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

The 360 controller is so far the best controller currently available for purchase in my opinion. But as for the console, it' so-so.

But my question is this. Does the original Xbox controller with a USB adaptor work on Mac games without any drivers?