Xbox360 on normal CRT TV

Discussion in 'Games' started by epicwelshman, Apr 12, 2006.

1. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I want to get an Xbox 360, but I have no intentions on getting an HDTV. My TV has component video, so how would the 360 look on a normal TV? Basically, is it worth getting if you don't have an HDTV?

2. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

I do......it's just fine.....

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Yeah, it looks great! That is my set-up. If you have never seen it on hdtv, you will never know the difference. The difference in graphics on my crt versus the ps2 is amazing even without the benefit of high-def.:cool:

4. TrueChristian macrumors newbie

I'm sure it looks good, just better on a HDTV.

5. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

let me first say this. Currently i game on my 360 on a regular CRT tv and enjoy it. The graphics are of coarse better than prior systems but that is not why i love my 360 to death. The reason i love my 360 is the online service. If you get an xbox and don't do the online service in my opinion the 360 is not worth it.

The online service is better than anything i have ever seen in a console system. In fact with it having a progressive scan dvd player i use it more like a media center. Also you will want to get the program Connect 360 so you can stream itunes and iphoto to your 360. Dude the 360 is by far my favorite system due to the ability to be my media center and a great online sservice.

6. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

It'll look fine.

If you ever get an HDTV, you'll already have a machine that can deliver HD content. Just think of it as "forward-thinking". :D
    Also, I agree with the other posters regarding the online content. I've become hopelessly addicted to some of the cheap, downloadable arcade games, which are NOT all fancy-shmancy graphics. Here I am with a $400 xbox360, a 55" HiDef, and I'm playing Kaloki Outpost, which looks like an N64 game. I must be insane.. but I'm having a blast! :cool:

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Why is it that on every gaming forum I've been on, at least one person has asked whether the 360 is just an HD XBox1 :confused: Where do people get this idea that a 360 is useless without an HDTV :confused:

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Probably because MS loves to use "HD Era" in press/marketing material... confuses people.

9. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

360 looks and plays great on an sd tv, however... I recently played fight night on my friends 60" dlp tv with 1080p and was totally blown away. It's arguably not even the same game. Totally different experience.

10. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

and apple dosent with the new quicktime codec, and how macs can edit HD and how Jobs shook the hands of the CEO of Sony to welcome each other to the era of HD

but yea, you dont need an HD tv to have the games look great. you dont even need component but each step does make it that much better

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For a little play about, when my mate got his 1080i TV we played Tomb Raider and it looked nice. We dropped it down to 480p, and it was equally as nice. But only when the action was going, maybe it's just me, but when you're playing a game fast you tend to lose everything; eyes blur and your brain just thinks about "how the hell do I get out of this!"

Like I said, maybe it's just me and maybe it's only on HL2: Deathmatch.

I reckon that without a HDTV you probably shouldn't be looking at a 360. At least not yet, where we're not playing games with millions of AI bots etc and most games are ports from the regular Xbox. Don't be fooled because it's a new machine. Unless you're after the downloads, the wireless controllers, music anywhere in game, if you think that's worth the 360's price tag then go for it.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The Xbox 360 cannot handle 1080p though :)

13. epicwelshman thread starter macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Thanks for all your help guys... now I just need to find $400.....

14. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

1080i looks really nice too tho...

15. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

while 1080i is nice,1080p is a diff. ball game imho

16. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

I can't think of anything but high end gaming PCs that support 1080p. Does anyone's satellite or cable deliver native 1080p? That would require a tremendous amount of bandwidth. HD-DVD and Blue-Ray could probably deliver.

What connection does the 360 use for HD? And does anyone know of a DVI to HDMI converter?

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It currently uses componant, but it'll probably do DVI/HDMI at some point. And you can pick 'em up for peanuts, as, iirc, HDMI is just DVI with spare pins for audio

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly, thats why TV's without HDMI, but have DVI that supports HDCP and have audio input will be fine in the HD war.... Those without HDMI or HDCP/DVI are screwed. That's about 65% of those that have already been bought.

Some people who have invested in a 'HD' TV are going to be in for a nice surprise :rolleyes:

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye there are disgrunted members of my family who are feeling the HD sting. Mostly my cousin who invested in 2 Panasonic "HD Ready" TV's a year ago. Oh dead. :D They handle DVI (or was it VGA?) fine though so I reckon they could manage consoles, just not protected data.

Frankly the whole HD situation in the UK is laughable. Very very laughable. Services don't seem bothered (there is no HD service right now), the BBC are going to have ONE channel that broadcasts for 2-3 hours a day in HD. TV's are way overpriced compared to everywhere else.

TV's aside, it's a warm day. I'm off.

20. thecheda macrumors 6502

too expensive

use the online service. dont get it if you dont have the connection to play. the tracking system is key.

HDtv is overrated. GRAPHICS are overrated.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

people who dont have HDTV's dont get how great HDTV's are with consoles, if your a student and good at makeing **** buy a wxga lcd and put it on an overhead projector and make a 200 buck 720p cinema, unfortunately i dont have the wall space, but i intend to make one for a friend.

22. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

The 360 only outputs an analog video signal; you'll see no improvement in picture quality with a DVI/HDMI connection.

There are 3rd party cables that do this, though.

23. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Spoken from someone who doesn't have an HDTV, I suspect?

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

when microsoft updates the 360 with a HD-DVD player it'll put HDMI (HDCP) and a 1080p capaibilty (most probably)

i just realised that because the current 360 only has analog outputs and M$ says that they will come out with an external HD-DVD attachment that this will probably be the only DRM free hd-dvd player...

25. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Sorry, what I meant is that it'll probably do digital as well at some point