Xbox360 Part Two(in Japan)

Discussion in 'Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Apr 7, 2006.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So...heres the thing, 360 will not accept that Japan belongs to Nintendo and Sony so they are gonna try again...just like the 1st xbox

Good move or bad?...will it work?..Do you think they are leaving there areas in the dust to get japan?

This is not a flame war here...no bashing on the consoles...just talk about it please.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147284.html

Bless

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think with the japanese developers they have on board for RPGs, namco making several games for them (including Gundam), and Square releasing some games on the system too (FF XI, Sci-Fi shooter, etc), plus other games like Ninty Nine Nights (N3) that they are in a MUCH better position then they were last time.

But if Japan isn't bored of it's Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests... it's still going to be tough for them.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well it depens if they can increase the interest untill the launch of blue dragon in winter.. can the most anticipated 360 title of japan bring more people: yes ... but around the launch of two competitors that's risky

it will stand or fall with those jrpgs ...

for the fifa-adidas themed bundle for japan... are they sure that shouldn't have been a bundle for germany ? it would make much more sense there with WM 2006 / homeland of adidas being in germany

edit: hows the installed user base sofar ? ~150 k ? something like that ? untill now the 360 is selling worse than the original one .. so it's pretty much like peter moore said "it's like landing a plane with all engines on fire"

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The problem is that many of the 360 (and origional XBox) games don't fit the general Japanese public. Sure, there are Japanese FPS nuts just as there are European and American ones, but they're thin on the ground. Microsoft is very much an intruder into the Japanese market

EDIT: Speaking of RPGs, can someone name me a good Cube one?

5. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

Microsoft made a big mistake again !! They released the X-box way too early for the Japanese market. The console is sitting in the corner gathering dust already while people are still buying PS2's. By the way, I have and really like my X-box.

They do have really good advertising for the machine BUT

I would have done it this way :-

1) Release in America/Europe first
    2) Build up library of games that Japanese people really want to play before released date to insure sales from the start and release both the console and 10 to 30 japanese style games at the same time. A half hearted example is Final Fantasy XI - Its a good step in the right direction BUT its 2 years old and Final Fantasy XII is out on the PS2. Most people who wanted to play XI would have already got it for the PS2. Focus on RPGs and simulations.
    3) Sell it for under 30 000 yen. Right now its 38,000 yen and people who look at it in my local electronics shop say WOW but its almost the price of an emachine PC !!

I have alot of other ideas but im going to the movies tonight and anyway, Microsoft isnt going to succeed in Japan. The PS3 will come out and blow them out of the water. This is not a flame or whatever you want to call it..just come to Japan and see for yourself - They will have to do much much more to beat Sony/Nintendo here....

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Without any shadow of a doubt; Tales of Symphonia. The closest to FF7 we got in the now dying current gen.

I think MS should just leave Japan. It really is Nintendo and Sony land over there. Penetration will be nigh impossible. They should rather stick to their own lands, US and Europe need some better 360 games to pull in some last minute sales before the 2 Japanese giants come out.

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I don't know if comparing XI to XII really works. XI is an online MMORPG, where XII is an actual continuation of the series.

But still, I think all they can hope for is to do good enough to stay around... carve out a small user base and hang on to them, win more developers, and then maybe by the time Xbox3 comes be a decent contendor... time will tell I guess.

8. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think they should focus on America and EU.....still try to get a base in Japan but thats Nintendo/Sony land and that aint a push over walk in the park thing.
    Other than trying too hard on Japan just focus on what they got.

Bless

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't know .. to be really profitable they simply have to sell a lot in japan ... just to secure a lot of japanese 3rd party developers

those japanese are simply too crazy for consoles/video games to miss that market

i sure hope that they make a bigger impact ... after all we want competition and not playstation dominating again

10. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I was really hoping someone would of buy off Sega and they get back in there and give us 4 consoles.....i would really like that. I hope the 360 makes it as well cuz i dont want to see another death in the console wars.

Bless

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah that would have been awesome but i think sega already sold msot of their hardware departments etc. and even then i'm not sure who would/could buy and finance another console ? philips ? samsung ? nokia ? the costs for producing a successful console is so high at the moment that i doubt anybody will enter the market soon
    (that aside while typing this i'm wearing my SEGA shirt .. talk about coincidence ;) )

well as long as Microsoft is interested and their other branches are making money they won't leave .. which means they will be around for a lot of years ;)

12. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its like hearing rumors of Nintendo leaving the consoles and just making handhelds...i think that would suck so much just to have sony and microsoft in the console agenda.....3 sounds a lot more appealing to me....more choices but hey thats just me.

Bless

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wouldn't, the market is too saturated as it is and there's only 3! Why? Because 2 consoles coming out are very similar. Both with the same ideology and image of what a typical gamer wants.

If anything a new company wants to come out and challenge Nintendo in the creative department. Apple would be a good choice.

Perfect world for me would be Nintendo against a PS3/Xbox hybrid.

14. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

There is always room for more...people said the same thing when the xbox hit the stage and look at it now(sega was already put to rest)

People already see challengers for the big N.....the fisherprice console is already jumping the wagon...i kid cause i luv...JOKE!!

Nintendo is in this boat as well so no magic path of new for them....same thing here all in that boat fighting to get in the hands of gamers.

360 & PS3 are just as different as the REV....

Bless

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I prefer less systems myself.

Yes competition is good but think of this:

What if Nintendo were the _only_ company making a home console? You think all those games you know and love would stop existing? Not a chance, they'd just come out to a single system. Final Fantasy would still exist, Halo still would, MGS, Sonic, etc...

Personally I would like to have to buy less hardware in order to play all the great games. When excellent games come out to systems exclusively then they are just hurting profits, because only the gamers with every system can enjoy them...

Same with Apple; if Microsoft and Windows died, what would happen? Game developers would switch to Mac most likely... that will likely never happen, but you get the point :D

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hideo Kojima said that powerwise the 360 and PS3 are near identical :confused:
    The way I see it, if they added BluRay and 3x gigabit ethernet ports to a 360 and stick a HDD in as standard you effectively have a PS3. Especially since that 2/3 MGS games made it to other consoles, ditto for the GTA series and FF is now on every machine going. It's all becoming universal now anyways, seemingly.
    To a sceptic and to non-gamers the PS3 just sounds like a super-Premium 360 bundle. Which is neither a negative or positive to either consoles, just an observation.

17. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Are you saying you rather less systems but yet if they were less systems then we wouldn't have more of a choice?...i'm not getting what you are trying to state.

Keyword there is powerwise not all around...And if Nintendo would add the same stuff you mention it would be there too..Except for the controls & muscle(which we don't have a clear eye yet)..these consoles are different(PS3 & 360 might have the same muscle strength..thats it)....we don't know what sony will offer along side the PS3(I'm talking online and etc...you are basing it on the systems muscle which is understandable but not the full.

Bless

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think he means that if there was 1 system then all the games would come out for it. Which is a valid reason. But competition is good because it (usually) drives down prices and other things I can't remember cuz I'm ILL as of today :)

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

raggedjimmi is right; my point was simply that while competition is good in order to keep the market healthy, competitive, and advancing it doesn't do much beyond that since if there was only a single system we would still have healthy software and all the games we love would still exist.

Personally I think it would be best to only have two home consoles. A simple 1v1 compeition.

Here's why:

You want some competition for the reason mentioned (to advance technology, keep prices competitive).

However the more systems there are the more expensive it is to make one game for all of them (ports/adaptations), which in general means that the software libraries diversify (less games spread across more platforms).

This of course makes it hard for a single consumer to purchase all the software they might want to because they would have to own every system. Plus each platform has less competition since the software is spread across systems.

So if there were only two you would still have competition and at the same time make it easier for consumers to own both systems and have access to all games. Furthermore this would have the added benefit of there being more developer competition since there would be more games on each system.

20. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

Look - Most Japanese really don't care if the system is powerful or not ! People still buy the old consoles so the "this is more powerful than that arguement" doesn't work here in japan.

The games are more important hense the DS. Nintendo are making a killing especially with this new "Brain/IQ power" style games coming out in Japan now.

MICROSOFT JUST MISJUDGED THE MARKET HERE AGAIN

21. FANBOY2U macrumors newbie

Did you take into account that Hideo was working with an underpowered PS3 dev kit? It wasn't even the finished version.
    You obviously don't know the PS3's specs. Ever heard of Cell? Nvid's 7900? Certain FF games are on other systems: FFXI on Xbox 360, some FF on gameboy. But the main (new) FF games are NOT on every system. Where are you getting your info, cereal boxes?
    ;) ;) ;)

22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

There are a lot of factors in comparing systems of differing architectures that none of us have; we can't say either way which is truly more powerful for games.

You have to factor bottlenecks across the system, etc and various limitations could cause a system that looks more powerful on paper to actually perform worse then lesser systems.

360, for example, has a small dedicated chip that will do 10X FSAA for "free" on the system. GameCube often competed with Xbox in terms of graphics due to having more effects built in to the GPU.

So we can't compare, only very specifically written custom benchmarks could give us a real insight... which means we'll just be left with our "opinions" of the specs and game graphics/etc.

As for FF, though, yeah... while no FF has been announced for PS3 (to my knowledge) it still seems very unlikely the main series will leave PlayStation. Mainly because I'm sure Sony is willing to pay however much they need to keep it there. Face it, Square-Enix is Sony's bread and butter in their homeland of Japan.

23. FANBOY2U macrumors newbie

SE is showing a new FF game for PS3 at E3.

24. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I think two SKUs were a big mistake by MS.

I think a launch in three continents at roughly the same time was a big mistake by MS.

I think their "Japan or bust" strategy is a big mistake.

Clearly, the Japanese aren't interested. I'm not saying it's not an important market, and a valuable market, it's just that MS seems hell-bent on treating Japan just like any other market.

Until they come up with a Japan strategy that treats Japanese gamers as...well, Japanese I think they'll continue to fail.

Specifically, that means a library of games that cater to their desires; not "Halo 12" or "PGR 8."

25. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Off Topic: Anybody playing the 360 on a LCD monitor 1024X768? hows does it look?...any hiccups?

Bless