xbox360 vs ps3

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac000, Nov 4, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
    ok so i have my wii preorder. and the other day i just bought a 32" LG HDTV.

I got my gamecube ready to take to ebgames for a trade in credit, but i was thinking i can also take my xbox for a trade in too. that would make a total of about $100 for trade in credit.

So i got to thinking, maybe i can get a 360 and have some fun with that. a HD console with exclusive titles.

On the other hand, i also have a PS3 preorder. But I was planning on putting it up on eBay. Obviously the PS3 will not be out of its shell until 2007. There some nice exclusive titles, but the 360 has a lot of games out now. Should i just use the credit money and hold onto the PS3?

What's everyones opinion on this?
  2. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    Sell the PS3 and make a butt load of money. Buy a 360, then buy a PS3 when there are more available.

Enjoy the rest of the profit you will have made from eBay.
  3. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    At the moment there are little games of note on the PS3 other than RFOM.

The multi-format games this November - March look set to be superior on the 360 according to the developers like Ubisoft.

GTA4 is now on 360 and Konami are under a lot of pressure to make MGS4 multi-format.

Other than early adoption of BluRay which is alright 'IF' it wins the format war - there is little other reasons I can see to get one 'right now'...

Of course things can change and give the machine 12 months there may be indeed a fine selection of game exclusives, however as you say there is a veritable rostra of games coming out on the 360 now, so if may be worth getting one instead or as Suneohair puts it 'get the ps3 and flog it for some profit' and purchase a 360 through that (you'll still have your ps3 money for later in the year 07 then)...
  4. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    I used to be a huge PlayStation supported and I liked Xbox too, now I find both consoles extremely dissapointing.

Nintendo seems like the only one who knows what they are doing... Microsoft is doing some smart stuff too but Sony is downright clueless on what the industry wants/needs.

I think PS3 will be a failure (not commercially though) and will not have nearly the success and support PS1 and PS2 had.
  5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    i wonder if 300,000 of the PS3's go on Ebay, how much will be price be affected? Are there 300,000 people willing to pay $1500 for the machine?

but anyway.
    Do you have a PSP? Because it will be connectable to the PS3 and will be able to emulate PS1 games.

Do you like old PS1/2 games? They are downloadable (or will be) for a price of course but still.

Wanna browse the web on your new TV? PS3 has a pretty cool looking web broswer with KB/Mouse capability.

Wanna have a media hub? PS3 plays quite a bit of stuff and the XMB looks to be easier than they 360 to navigate (imho)

Wanna run Linux for fun? PS3 will have linux for download a few weeks after launch.

Want a new controller? Wii fanboys/Xbots will freak out about this but most media press I have read say the sixaxis is pretty cool (like balancing your skateboard in TH) and has a lot fo potential to be a part of the game and not just a gimmick, but the lose of rumble hurts a lot of people.

Want a more futureproof system (for now anyway) and wanna take a gamble? Bluray could or could not be a hit, the high price could screw things up but the user upgradable hard drive is a good thing, Bluetooth is a good thing (you can use your own BT cell phone headset for game chat) as it has lots of potential, if you have a PSP you see that Sony updates things a lot so if the trend continues with PS3 there should be a lot of new functionalities added over it.
    If yes, Then get a PS3.

Do you want a cheaper system that allows you to customize what you want instead of being "forced" to buy it? 360 starts at 300 for Americans which is a great price. And if you don't want the HD-DVD drive then you don't need it, although if you buy everything the price will be very high. And Xmas bundles make the 360 look even better.

Do you like the 360 controller? A lot of people hate the PS controller. Do you like the feel of the 360 version? The triggers are awesome and the feel is pretty sweet.

Do you wanna play the popular Xbox1 games? Got an itch for Halo? 360 has a growing amount of BC games most of which I have heard run awesome.

Want games NOW? 360 has a good library out now, and the GoW only days away its about to get a whole lot better (providing the hype is true). Want gamer points and achievements? Some people are obcessed with these, they are cool as a yard stick to see how much of your life you have wasted playing games :)

Want a great online service? PS3 MAY get a decent online service, but XBL really is good. I don't play online but I admit it works like a charm when I use it.

Want media? Although the menus are a pain, 360 does play a lot of stuff as well and with the new update that allows you to use movies off a CD/DVD/USb drive it got a lot better.
    If yes, get a 360.

Exclusive games are fading fast so most stuff is gonna be multiplatform. So its a matter of what you want in the system.
  6. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    100% agree. Just do what us indecisive folks do ... we buy them all ;) The best of all worlds..
  7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    Hell ya, owning all three is the only way to go. :D
  8. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2006
    If you have about $1,000 before games and extra controllers. :D :D
  9. Oofie macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I got the xbox 360 a couple of weeks ago, didnt bother waiting for the PS3 as the price is very very steep for me. The xbox 360 is well worth it for me because it takes advantage of my tv and games are really good, its just a matter of finding what you like.

Also, almost all the games that are coming out for the PS3 are coming out for the 360. However, I might end up getting one next year when the F1 game and GT series come out.
  10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

Sell the PS3, use the money to buy a Wii and a PS3 as soon as both are available and you'll still have extra cash left over.

Personally, I'm a big fan of waiting two months in exchange for making several thousand dollars :p
  11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    Sell the PS3 for a huge profit and do as you will.

I'll be thinking of you as I play Gears of War this week. :D