XBrite screens and Apple.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macman426, Apr 11, 2005.

1. macman426 macrumors newbie

Hi All, I am an employee at Staples where we only sell PC's and other junk. However, the one thing that has caught my eye recently, is the fact that all of the HP and Sony laptops that we sell sport this new XBrite display, and let me tell you, they are magnificent! They look much more clearer than standard LCD's. In fact, it's almost like having a flat panel CRT, but the display itself looks really shiny and glossy and the picture it provides is absolutely 100% crystal clear. I've never seen any LCD more perfect and clear than these XBrites. What are the chances that Apple will adopt this technology for their notebooks and displays, as well as the iMac? I think that the move to use the new XBrite LCD would be good for Apple since Apple is all about amazing/beautiful computers. I am a bit surprised that Apple hasn't used this XBrite technology first. I sure hope they begin using it though.

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I thought they were great too - until I actually worked on one. The screen is like a mirror. If you like looking at yourself when you work I guess it would be okay. I've changed my tune about XBrite. I prefer the non-reflective screens over the XBrite now.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I've never been impressed with Apple's laptop displays.

They are dim, muddy and basically lack vibrance.

I miss my 15" Sony Vaio laptop display. It was brilliant.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ditto, at first they're brilliant but very bad in dark situations (ie. Doom 3) where you'll be seeing your face all the time. they are very nice though just a shame about the reflections.

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I wasn't overly impressed with my Powerbook's display when I got it, but after calibrating it, I was blown away by the difference.

I used SuperCal, which is designed to calibrate screens by eye; my Powerbook's display was far too "warm" by default.

As Cooknn said; the XBrite screens generally do impress at first glance, but they are far too shiny, and reflect too much in most working conditions.

6. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

In comparison with Xbrite... there's a company with something similar... I've been using it for 2 weeks now.. and its great... really depends on what your doing..

The Crystal Film
    http://www.powersupportusa.com/prod...php?category=pb
    It was one of the more expensive items i ordered and i expected quality. Right off the bat... it looked amazing. It makes the PB look like it has a reflective coating on the screen and it sparkles. It kind of looks like a screen protector for cell phones except it does not stick on and it shines. It can be easily removed. Two $42US well spent

This is how the Powerbook LCD should look like without anything on it..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now with the desk light on still nothing on it..

[​IMG]

7. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

The first picture with The Crystal Film on without desk light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now with the desk light on..

[​IMG]

Pictures of the Crystal Film standing up without desk light (oops, i inverted the first picture)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now with the light on..

[​IMG]

And one last one for those who are interested… look at the reflection..

[​IMG]

Enjoy! :eek:

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I calibrated my iBook (I know different display, but we're talking laptops here) and there was little or no difference. Dim, muddy and not sharp. But, I knew that going into it. It's my "third" machine, so it doesn't really matter, but it would be nice to see better displays on alll the Apple portables.

9. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I for one do not like the Xbrite screens. the plastic over the screen create a glare effect. When I was looking at one it store, all I could see what the overhead lighting that it was reflecting. Definitely not good if you're next to a window or direct source of light.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The display itself is impressive and I was almost impressed enough to buy a machine with one but it is highly reflective and that's far too distracting for me.