Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

recobafan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Hi there, I'm very, very new to the forum, and I'm not even sure if this is posted on the right place, so if it isn't, could a mod maybe move it for me?(sorry for the inconvenience :/)

I've had Xcode 3.2.6 for a while, and created simple programs for it and thats all going fine, but I see that there is a 'newer' version(Xcode 4) - I say new, because I've only just realised there is one.

My questions are;

-What are the main differences between the two?
-Where and how much is it, if it does cost anything, do i buy it?

I've been doing research on teh interwebz but I figured I'd come on a forum and ask the pros. :)

Thanks for any help guys!
Andy.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
If you are still running Xcode 3, you are probably not using Lion. As far as I know, Xcode 4 is running only on Lion and is a free download. It was available for $5 for SL for a while, but that is gone; it might still be available for SL if you are in the developer program - I am not, so I don't know for sure.

It's a different look and feel - everything in one window rather than a new window for everything like version 3 was.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If you want to distribute via the iOS or Mac App Stores, I'd definitely suggest getting Xcode 4. It dramatically simplifies the entire signing and upload process.

recobafan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys!
Ok, well I see the Xcode 4 version on the app store but when I try and download it, it says my software version isn't recent enough..according to my mac my software is up to date. I mean, I am a complete novice with Xcode, so I'm a bit baffled about how to proceed :/
Thanks again!

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
If i were you i would upgrade to lion (unless some other software is keeping you tied to snow leopard and save myself the 99 a developer license costs just to download xcode.

(unless you want to have a developers license or have one already)

recobafan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Awesome. I shall upgrade to lion tonight!
Thanks for the help and thanks for not poking fun at my lack of knowledge lol!

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
You need a developer account, but not a paid one.

I am a registered developer (but am not in one of the paid programs), and don't have access to Xcode 4 for Snow Leopard (it isn't in the Developer Downloads). You need a paid program for the same reason they charged for the preview (that whole "added functionality" thing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.