XCode 4 Command-line application build location?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by NickVellios, Mar 24, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Jun 6, 2010
    In Xcode 3, if you build a command-line application in C++, it compiles to a folder in the project folder and you can run it. In Xcode 4, I have not been able to figure out where it builds to. I searched my Mac, dug around in all the settings, but there is no binary. I can run the application, but no binary to be found.

What the...?
  2. macrumors member

Jul 4, 2010
    Check ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData. Or set the build location in the preferences under "Locations" (hope it works, haven't really checked it out myself). I don't quite understand why the product isn't placed in the projects folder by default (while I sort of understand the use of the ~/Library folder).
  3. macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2009
    Xcode 4 has a different build output location than Xcode 3.

Did you read the Xcode 4 Transition Guide? The Xcode 4 User Guide?

If not, you should.

Xcode 4 Transition Guide:

Xcode 4 User Guide:

Xcode Quick Start Guide:

If you don't have a compelling requirement that can only be fulfilled by Xcode 4, you should probably just use Xcode 3 for real work, and use Xcode 4 only to learn how it works.
  4. macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2010
    You can get the XCode 3 build behaviour by changing Build Location under Locations in Preferences from the default "Place build products in derived data location" to "Place build products in locations specified by targets".