XCode Java API search?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Helmut Kool, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Helmut Kool macrumors member

How can I enable searching the standard Java API classes in XCode documentation window? When I type text in the search field, it only searches from com.apple.*, so it doesn't find for example java.awt.Image.

I'm using XCode 1.5 and I have installed the latest Java updates (including development package). Searching used to work in 1.1 at least sometimes.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not a giant help, but have you opened up ../Resources/Documentation/Reference/doc/api/index.html in the Java folder? Nice view of all the classes.

Edit: you can get to this within Xcode, but it's easier, I think, to open it directly.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Have you already done the required Terminal command:
    Code:
    sudo /Developer/ADC\ Reference\ Library/documentation/Java/scripts/unjarJavaDocumentation.sh
    to unpack all the files?

4. Helmut Kool thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I have unpacked the documentation and I can browse the API HTML files from XCode (and otherwise). But being able to search would be useful when you don't know exactly what class or function you need.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, I completely agree. I tend to use Eclipse or JBuilder personal Edition for Java coding and hadn't looked all that much into using Xcode for it, but 1.5 tempts me. If I find out anything, I'll post back.