Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GalumphingGlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I have OSX 10.5.8 on my computer, and I'm taking a C programming class right now. I'd like a good IDE that works in the language, and almost all sources tell me XCode is the best available on a mac, and the industry standard. However, looking up XCode on apple's site shows only the latest version, which runs only on OSX 10.6 and later, and is available in two inaccessible options. I can pay $100 for a year's membership to the developer program (may do this eventually, but not yet), or for only $5 from the app store, except that you can't access the app store without OSX 10.6 or later. Chances are, even if I paid the $100 for the developer's membership, I'd still only get access to the newest version, which won't run on my OS.

For the time being, I'd like to work cheaply. That means I'm willing to pay a $5 download fee to Apple, but not $100 + the cost of the new OS. That may change in a few more months as I get more onto the professional level, but it doesn't seem worth it yet, as a student of limited financial means. Can I get a slightly earlier version of XCode, which will work on OSX 10.5.8? Or, perhaps you can suggest an alternative program I might use while I learn? I've gotten away with IDEone so far, in the first couple weeks of class, but I'd like something that can work directly on my computer, save files, be accessible offline, etc.

Thanks for your help!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Xcode 3 is still downloadable from Apple's developer website.

First, sign up for a free developer account:
https://developer.apple.com/membercenter/

If you try to visit the above URL without being signed in, it will prompt you to sign in. You should be able to sign up, as well.

Once signed up and logged in, go to the Member Center (URL as above). Under the Dev Centers heading, click the Mac link and it will take you to the Mac Dev Center.

At that point you should see info and links on Xcode 3.

If you get lost, then while logged in, try this URL:
http://connect.apple.com/

This is the old dev-sign-in URL, and it will take you to the Developer Downloads page. From there, in the Downloads column at right, click Developer Tools. It should take you to a very comprehensive list of downloadable versions of Xcode.

Xcode 3.1.4 is the latest version that runs on 10.5 Leopard. If you already have that on your system DVDs, then you don't need to download it. Otherwise there are a fair number of bug fixes, so you may find 3.1.4 valuable.

GalumphingGlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Thank you!

Looking up XCode on Apple's site told me about the $100 membership developer program, but not about the free developer account type. The main page after registering for a developer account showed XCode 3.2.6, and I was able to find 3.1.4 via connect.apple.com

I haven't tried it out yet, as it's still downloading, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much Nermal and Chown33 for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.