Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I've only just started using dropbox and I was curious, does anyone put their entire Xcode projects in their dropbox folder? Is this a good way of keeping multiple computers used for development in sync? Or will Xcode just get messed up somehow by doing this?

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
I haven't tried to use dropbox for this. Are there going to be multiple developers or only one? I would guess that just for syncing files it might work OK.

FWIW, real source code control is how the big boys do this. You should too. subversion or git are free and you should learn how to use one of them.

smithers-jones

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2011
I keep my projects in a Dropbox folder and develop on an Air, Mini and MacBook Pro, with all three machines accessing the same projects.

Never had an issue.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I keep my projects in a Dropbox folder and develop on an Air, Mini and MacBook Pro, with all three machines accessing the same projects.

Never had an issue.

Okay, thanks! I'll start doing that.

PhoneyDeveloper said:
FWIW, real source code control is how the big boys do this. You should too. subversion or git are free and you should learn how to use one of them.

Good point; Square is interviewing me for a job Tuesday. I guess it's time I start learning about that so when they ask in the interview I won't be caught off guard.

RRich

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
xCode, git, Dropbox

If you are not collaborating with other, seems like using dropbox with xcode is a win. Since xcode now supports git natively, all you need to do is commit your changes to get the benefits of source control, and if your dev folder is on dropbox, even your source control is backed up. Am I missing something?

-- RR

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I do this but with one caveat - make sure you have the same account name on all devices!

???

I think the short name is different on the two computers... In one I capitalized the first letter of my name, in the other... I haven't had any issues? All I did was export my keys and stuff generated by Xcode on one computer and import them to the other?

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
???

I think the short name is different on the two computers... In one I capitalized the first letter of my name, in the other... I haven't had any issues? All I did was export my keys and stuff generated by Xcode on one computer and import them to the other?

You might be ok then. When I set it up, I had to make sure the shortname was the same on all devices. Maybe it now targets ~/SomeDir, rather than /Users/shortname/SomeDir

The important thing was that the shortname was the same, but if you aren't experiencing difficulties, then don't worry about it :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
You might be ok then. When I set it up, I had to make sure the shortname was the same on all devices. Maybe it now targets ~/SomeDir, rather than /Users/shortname/SomeDir

The important thing was that the shortname was the same, but if you aren't experiencing difficulties, then don't worry about it :)

Now that you mention it, I think I had to change a bunch of resources for one project to be set with a relative source rather than an absolute one. Most of my resources for most of my projects were already set to relative, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.