XCode Request

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleMatt, Mar 22, 2004.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Hi all,

I don't have XCode installed on my 12" PowerBook and multiple attempts to download it from Apple have failed, a dl rate of about 3k/sec until I'm chirpily informed that the connection was lost. I've been trying this for a few days so...

...would it be possible for some kind soul to stick up the XCode [images/zip of all their image parts] onto a http/ftp site just to let me get at it, I wanted to donate time to some projects over the next 5 weeks (that's when I'm next home with access to my Panther CD's) but it doesn't look so good yet.

Please :)

AppleMatt

2. slowtreme macrumors 6502

I'm not sure this is allowed, but I've seen it show up on bittorrent suprnova.org before.

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Hey, Can I get you to test my program

I have a program that is a downloader. http://brandoneldred.no-ip.info
    Look under programs for Snappy. I programmed it in Xcode myself. It works well in high bandwidth, I wonder how it works in your situation. Put the URL in, then copy and paste the file name below. The file should be on your harddisk in the main directory (double click the hard drive on your desktop and file should be in there). Now it may seem to freeze, but it is still downloading. For now the freezing is normal, I have yet to try and do something with that yet. It will un freeze when its done, so while its downloading, just ignore it.

If you don't want to use mine, get Speed Downloader and try it with that, but it will stop itself after a certain amount of time I think. If you do use mine, let me know how it did, speeds and what not.

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Have you checked in /Applications/Installers ? Some installs put the developer tools package in there.

5. beerguy macrumors regular

Umm - it's on the last install CD. How can you have Panther and not have the whole disk set?

6. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

I don't know if this is Select+ only, but if you try to download from Apple Developer Connection (you can create an online - free - account if you need to) you will download in segments (~20MB each). This will get you the latest tools (which is at 1.1). Alternatively you can use the Xcode 1.0 installer and get the 1.1 update from the same place.

http://connect.apple.com

7. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Well The guy did say

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you have the new powerbook that came with panther installed and just have an image of your hard drive on a dvd ;)

9. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Yeah that's what I've been trying. As if downloading it in loads of little parts wasn't bad enough, I can't get anything close to a bearable transfer rate and it keeps resetting the connection (hanging the Finder with it, I have to wait about 3 minutes for the beach-ball to go, and then press "OK" to a message basically saying "bad luck :)")

I had a quick look on SuperNova but it doesn't seem to be there. As for the chap who offered to use a download proggy, that doesn't work due to the way Apple creates links when logged into the developer site :(

If there's no takers for sticking it up somewhere I'll try and ask a friend to post their CD to me.

AppleMatt

edit: Currently I have my PowerBook with me, no Panther CD's, no Restore DVD's. All I have is my PowerBook

and some food

10. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

Have you tried something other than the Finder for FTP? It's pretty much accepted that the Finder is The Worst FTP Application Ever.

If your quick, you can copy/paste the FTP login into an FTP app. Otherwise you can search versiontracker for an internet config editor that will let you change the default ftp app to something more respectable.

11. slowtreme macrumors 6502

I feel for you man, I've been there! :)

12. macmanitou macrumors newbie

Two simple advices

- dont download it with the finder
    - dont use the european server, try the us or the us mirror

The easiest way is to copy the ftp address from safari
    and use the terminal to download it.
    First Type in "ftp" after that "open " including the ftp link.
    After the connection is established - try to get everything in this directory
    with "get *"

thats it ;)
    Sascha

Worked for me with maximum line speed on the us mirror 2 days ago.

13. mms macrumors 6502a

Or if you don't like command line, Transmit is a good FTP program. panic.com