Xcode Web Developing

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by onqun, Aug 26, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Hello guys,

Is it possible to build a project in Xcode. What I mean is, In visual studio or Dreamweaver. You split the screen so you know what you are doing also you can check the errors.

Thank You!

2. macrumors 603

Cromulent

Xcode is not really a web development environment although it does support Ruby and Python syntax highlighting so there is nothing stopping you on that front. You can even use C or C++ to write CGI scripts if you are feeling brave.

But back to your original question, yes Xcode will show you any errors when you build your project.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Would you tell me how am I going to open a HTML project, and how am i going to build and view it?

4. macrumors 68040

lee1210

You're going to need to be much more specific about what you're trying to do to get an informed response, here. HTML isn't compiled, so build doesn't really make sense here...

Are you building a dynamic site with ruby on rails, and have ruby, html, javascript, css, etc. resources?

Are you just authoring static pages, and just have html, javascript, and css?

What errors are you wanting to have flagged? Javascript syntax errors? Things that aren't valid XHTML?

Give us more information, and hopefully then we can do the same.

-Lee

5. thread starter macrumors member

Hey, I want to see my page when I add something, like in dreamweaver you split the screen, so that i dont open the safari everytime I add something to my page. For errors, I want to see if I forgot to close something or not.

would you also tell me How am i going to create an HTML file and check for error?

6. macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

You might want to check out Panic Software's Coda app. It's $99 though, so that may be outside of your budget (I believe it has a free trial).

7. macrumors 68040

lee1210

You should probably just google around for WYSIWYG editors on OS X. This blog post lists a number, some free, some for-pay:
    http://www.silvermac.com/2007/wysiwyg-web-editors-for-mac-os-x/

It is a bit out of date, but again, google around and you should find what you need.

-Lee

EDIT: Now that what you need is clear, the web programming forum would have been a better place to post this.

8. macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Note: Xcode can be used to make hybrid web apps on the iPhone, if desired. Hybrid refers to apps that use the web API if your app requuires that.

9. macrumors newbie

Would you like to elaborate?

I know this is an old post and I know I am new to xcode, but if you or someone would patiently explain how this might be a helpful way to peruse coding webpages in xcode?

Is there any way to code web based apps with xcode - maybe along the line of how .NET (yuk) is used to do such things?

Maybe some links that address these questions in a specific way?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.